Its my first year and I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by alteacher84, May 25, 2006.

1. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

May 25, 2006

I will be teaching at a private school in the fall. The principal is in the process of moving some teachers around and I will either have a position in 2nd or 3rd grade. I need to know what kinds of materials I will need to have to stock my classroom and make it fun and inviting. I won't be getting much po money so most things will be bought out of my pocket so if there is a cheap or cheaper way to do something please add that too! Also if you have pics or ideas for classroom setup that would be helpful!
    Thank you so much!!
    Amanda

3. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

May 25, 2006

Congrats on the job!!
    Make sure you check out the other threads for ideas, there are a lot of them pertaining to your questions!

For grade 2/3 books are an essential. Picture books as well as beginner novels.Good read alouds are also nice to have. They love to be read to at that age.

Walmart is a great/cheap place to buy school supplies/games. Also check out garage sales, you can get books and games there for cheap.

For classroom layout ideas you can go to mspowell.com She has pictures of her classroom on her site, as well as some great info.

Having a cozy reading corner is nice too. Buying cushions or bean bag chairs helps to do that.
    Hope this helps!

4. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

May 25, 2006

Do you have an Ikea nearby? I just bought a TON of things for my classroom there and they have great deals. I got and easel, loads of storage containers, pencil cups, about 8 pair of scissors, artwork for the walls, some fabric for curtains, and some other small things all for $60. They also have really cute chairs for $12 and huge bean bags for $40 that would be good for a reading corner.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

May 25, 2006

Garage sales! Check for sales from households with children. They are great places to find books, stuffed animals, even furniture like small chairs or bookshelves. Also, ask around your school to find out if there are any retiring teachers who may need help getting rid of their classroom stuff.

6. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

May 25, 2006

All of these are great places to check for teacher supplies. I got a TON of stuff from ebay. Not all items on ebay are good deals, however, you will find lots of stuff. Also, call around to your local libraries. Ask them if they are getting rid of any books in the future. I got some great children's books from the library for FREE! I start student teaching in the fall and so far have quite a bit of stuff stored. I'm always searching though! I hope that this helps! Good Luck to you in your new school!

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

May 28, 2006

i've been buying A LOT of books off ebay. i'm done now...i think. lol. but just type in children's books and wait to see what pops up. i've gotten a lot of goosebumps and babysitters club books for REALLY cheap.

it's my first year too, so i can't stop buying books. i'll be teaching 3rd grade. anyway, i'm very excited as i'm sure you are. congrats and best wishes

LC