It's just one student

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Social Studies 07, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Social Studies 07

Social Studies 07 New Member

Feb 16, 2016

I have been teaching middle school for 9 years now, have excellent classroom management, and my students are well behaved due to my strict, no non-sense policy that has been established in my classroom. All but, one student! I will refer to him as Student A. Student A is extremely disruptive, defiant, and non-supportive of his peers. For an example, he blurts out loud, laughs at students when they stumble over words they cannot pronounce, and seeks attention regardless if it is positive or negative. After meeting with his mother she informed the middle school team that her son (Student A) is indeed ADHD. Since knowing this information about him I have changed my approach on how to deal with him in the classroom. In other words I tolerate a lot of his actions and behavior due to his ADHD. However, it is becoming a bit overwhelming. It is February and tomorrow will be his mother's 3rd time having a meeting with the middle school team. Our meeting are pretty much the same. We discuss his behavior and she promises to have a talk with him. She refuses to medicate her son, which I completely respect, but again his behavior is impeding the learning process in my classroom. The straw that broke the camel's back was last week when he purposely burst his ice pack in the middle of me teaching and dripped the water on the student (Student B) sitting next to him. I thought Student B was raising his hand because he had a question regarding the lesson, but he was raising his hand to ask me for a paper towel. As an educator I am sure we can all relate as to how annoying it is when a student raises their hand to ask a question and it has nothing to do with the lesson. I spent 10-15 minutes dealing with this situation. Student A got into trouble the two remaining days of the week. These incidents have resulted in a write-up/referral. The middle school team has worked with Student A and his mother for months now. We congratulate him when he does a good job and call his mother to let her know as well. The middle school has also conduct positive reinforcements to ensure that he continues to exhibit good behavior. However he resort back to old behavior due to his diagnosed. I am exhausted and I really dread this meeting set for tomorrow afternoon. I am at my wits end when it comes to Student A. I have ran out of patience and it is unfair to the other students that he harasses. As a educator I feel so bad because we want the best for all of our students and try to give them quality education and teach them how to be better citizens. As I right now I provide him a copy of the lesson for the day and he does his work in another teacher's classroom. Student A is an A student and although he can pretty much teach himself, he misses out on the class discussion. If anyone can provide feedback regarding suggestions on how to assist with this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2016

He needs a behavior plan fast as well as consequences for all his actions. Has he been referred to a child study team? The mother needs to get real.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 16, 2016

I don't believe every ADHD person needs medication, but it runs in my family. My cousin was not medicated until college when he had the personal choice to do so and wishes his parents had medicated him in jr. high and high school.

5. Social Studies 07

Social Studies 07 New Member

Feb 16, 2016

Thank you both for your replies! We did meet with the mother today and she told me that she understood that I can no longer condone his behavior in my class. I informed her that he will still receive my social studies assignments during my period, but he will be with another teacher who has a small class size and teaches a different subject. Which means he would be doing independent study in the back of the class. I also informed her that I am readily available during homeroom and lunchtime if he have any questions regarding the lessons. I have to provide a safe environment for the other 21 students that are in my class. I guess it worked out in my favor, but I am still concern about the example she is setting for her child and also my training as an educator. Student A and his mother were an experience. I wanted to share this situation with other educators to receive alternative ways on how to handle a situation like this in the future. This situation maybe the first, but it will not be the last. I wish them the best of luck! Again, thank you!!!

6. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Feb 23, 2016

I think it is best to get A out of the general population. But maybe the admin.is an obstacle. I had a teacher friend who had a kid that was probably like A and four years later (or less), the kid viciously tortured and killed someone. The administration was reluctant to allow the kid to be removed from my friend's class. My friend went to all kinds of unusual extremes for this kid.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016