It's just a train wreck!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I was having the best morning this morning, reading and posting here when I got the call.

Secretary, "Mrs. S. you can move your stuff back into your room now."

Me, "What, I unpacked my room two weeks ago and had everything set up for the first day."

Secretary, "Well.... no one told you prisoners moved all your stuff out of your room into the halls and ripped out your carpet?"

Me, "Are you sure???"

Well, sure enough, I high tail it up there and it looks like a bonafide wreck, books are off the shelves, things were strewn up and down my hall and there were even some things around the corner. I couldn't even make my way down the hall without stepping on something important to me.

I left because I'd planned to go with DD to get Jackson's 4 month old shots.

I just wanted to sit in the floor and cry; I go back to school Monday for two weeks of in-service. I won't have time to put things back together then, my niece is getting married this weekend and family I haven't seen in a couple of years are coming in Wednesday. I worked hard preparing ahead of time so I could enjoy these last days of my summer. I guess I'm going to have to put off going in for the wedding and start on recovering the mess. I'm just sick about it and furious that I wasn't called beforehand.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Hoot, is there a PTA or another parent group at your school? If you get in touch with them, they may be happy to provide some helping hands. I'd come help if I could!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Oh no! I'm so sorry!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 28, 2009

That's not even right! Wow!

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Wow, that is so frustrating!

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

That is terrible! If I lived close I would come help.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

oohhh Hoot :( I am so sorry. Was your's the only classroom this happened to?? If not, maybe you can help each other out.

Again, I am sorry :(

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Wow! I'm so sorry, Hoot! Hmmm, wonder how long of a drive it would be?

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Why, why, WHY did admin let them get away with leaving such a mess for you to have to deal with???

I am so sorry. We would ALL be there to help you if we could :hugs:

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry, but I'm lost... HOW did your room get destroyed?????

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

How frustrating. There should have been many announcements about work done over the summer! I'm sorry, wish I could be there to help!

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

That's awful! Why wasn't anyone with them when they emptied your room. They would have noticed that it was set up and ready to go. You'd think someone could have made a courtesy phone call to let you know. Crazy! I'm so sorry that you have to do it all over.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2009

I am so sorry. So many wish they could help, but you never know, too- you could get some co-workers (if they are willing and great friends of yours) or friends to assist. That is frustrating, and reading this broke my heart. :(

15. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I am so sorry! I've worked in my room for 2 1/2 days, and it still looks like a train wreck, but at least it's my train wreck. If someone came in and took apart all I've done so far, I don't know what I'd do...but I do know I'd be upset.

16. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

That sucks! If they called you to tell you to come back into the room, they so should have called you and gave you a heads-up. I'm so sorry.

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

I'm wondering this, too!

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 28, 2009

That's just absolutely ridiculous! Why wouldn't they ask you to come pack up the room in the first place if they were going to do remodeling? I agree with the others, maybe you can even draft some former parents and their kids to help you set up again.

I'm really sorry, that had to be really frustrating! It's bad enough to have to unpack everything once and set up, but to have to do it twice?

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

lol, as usual, Alice and I have the same thought process... what???

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't go in and deal with it...The administration should have overseen the carpet replacement (why are they using prisoners in a school anyway:eek:) My union wouldn't stand for this. It's times like this I'm thankful for tenure and unions. I definitely would not give up UNPAID days of my summer VACATION to go back in and fix what someone else screwed up...Can you go in an weep a little and see if someone empathizes with you and offers a solution that does not include YOU doing the cleanup?

21. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Her room is destroyed because they went in there to redo the carpet and all they did was move her things out without packing or anything.

22. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

That's awful. :hugs::hugs::hugs: and many more hugs. I'm soooo sorry to hear that!

23. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I had this happen 2 years ago except I had filled the desks with all the text books and work books. I came in and there were new desks piled in the back of the room and the old desks were gone. All of the text books and work books were all over the floor. I then had to pick them up, unpile the desk put them in place and then refill them with text books.

I would recommend getting a hold of the PTO if you can so that you can can still go to the wedding somewhat early.

24. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

:hugs: That is awful!

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Oh, how awful. I once had to pack up two office buildings and label everything for a move into two new buildings. Come time to return to school, they forgot to tell us we were not moving after all. I know the futilality of hard work being undone.

26. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Hoot - that's just terrible! I wish I could help!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

I'm so sorry, Hoot.

28. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

That stinks! I really feel for you.

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I'm with Alice et al.

What?

30. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry! That would be an absolute nightmare. I hope that you find time to get it back together and can still enjoy your last few days without being incredibly stressed out.

31. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

They said they had to replace the carpet because there were some WRINKLES in it! Well, there were, but it wasn't anything I couldn't ignore and there was no danger. There was mention of molds too where my room leaked earlier in the year, I never noticed it.

They used prisoners because they'll work for free. We have a penal institution not too far away (15 miles) and the warden often lets them do community work. The custodians are all tied up stipping and waxing the floors.

Three other rooms were demolished as well. I just got an email from my principal and he said I really needed to wait until the end of the week to do anything.... I guess it's just not going to get done, not by me anyhow. I could have postphoned going in for the wedding a couple of days but I have to go in Friday for the rehearsal dinner and all.

I can only do so much, we have open house mid August. I'll just do the best I can. I hope I can sleep tonight, I'm so upset

I might call a few former parents and I'm sure I can enlist some of my collegues to help out next week, DH will hep out too.

Thank you all for your sympathies, offers of help, and suggestions. I haven't been this disappointed in a long time.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Hoot Owl, I'm so glad you posted that!

I thought you were being sarcastic about the prisoners. I really love our custodial staff, and hated the thought that you were referring to them as "prisoners." Now it makes a lot more sense.

I'm so sorry that your room is a mess, but thanks so much for the clarification!!!

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 28, 2009

Awww Hoot. Yeah, I'd be disappointed if I thought I was set and ready and then I wasn't. You'll get through it but it doesn't make you feel any better at the moment I'm sure.

34. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

We're like family at my school, I, too, love our custodial staff. I'm sure they'll try to help out if they can.

35. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Oh, Hoot, you haven't had a very pleasant summer. :hugs: I hope everything works out in the end.

36. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry that happened to you. I also went in a few weeks ago and got everything set up so I could enjoy the end of summer. I would be devastated if my room got destroyed. Call up as many people as you can to help you. Maybe you can bring pizza and make it into a working lunch. I would be there to help if I could.

37. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I'm sorry to hear about this! Good luck, and keep your chin up. Maybe a brilliant idea you wouldn't have otherwise thought of will come to you as you redo your room!

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2009

OMG!!

I would have DIED.

No, wait. I would have KILLED SOMEBODY!!

39. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

When we bought our carpet some years ago, I was shocked to hear the installers admit they were former convicts! There were 4 or 5 of them, and they were carrying on among themselves about how they each were locked up, why they were locked up, etc. It gave me the creeps, cause now they were familiar with our house.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

Ummm.... then YOU would have been the prisoner installing the carpet in a few years time.

41. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

I am sorry that totally sucks!