It's funny how things work out. (sorry-it's long)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherintexas, Jul 30, 2009.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I just got married and moved to another city two hours away so I had to resign my position. I was overwelmed trying to pack up everything, plan the wedding, and take care of everything on my ranch and we kept going back and forth about which place we were going to live the first year, so I never got aggressive about sending in applications. I sent in one, but didn't mail principals, etc. and all the things you have to do to get into a big district without any contacts.

My husband is a disabled retired Marine who paid extra into his GI bill but never used all of his hours and they would transfer to me to use once we got married so we decided I would go to grad school because I have always wanted a masters but never lived close enough or had time due to things going on in my life.

So I withdrew my application and decided to be a full time student this first year of our marriage.

Then I broke my leg the day before our wedding. I've had three surgeries so far, am writing this from my current hospital stay, and may have to stay in the hospital for three more weeks to get iv antibiotics. I'm trying to talk the doctor into a pic line (spelling?) and home health care so I can get the iv's at home, but that's another thread! :rolleyes:

But, if I had gone ahead and actively pursued a job, I would be starting officially a day or so before my iv treatment would be over, plus I would not be able to get my room put together alone. I know my family would help, but it would be very stressful to start a new job without being able to physically put the room together like I want it so I would know where everything is. I have been teaching sixteen years, and I'm a spender when it comes to school. I had fifty big plastic totes full of books, files and manipulatives.

I don't like to do anything half way and learning the climate of a new job, making the room the way I want it, lesson planning, learning new curriculum, dealing with my healing leg (and that is assuming I don't have any other issues pop up), adjusting in a new marriage, taking care of my three step-kids, pets, and the ranch two hours away with the cows, and moving my personal belongings to my new home would have been rather stressful I think.

I know I could have managed, but it is going to be so much easier just to focus on going to school and my family.

From the do you pray thread, I know there are some people on here who do not believe the same as I do (and that is your right), but I think that God was watching out for me, and that these things happened for a reason. Even the broken leg has had something good come of it. I was diagnosed with diabetes, and am getting my blood sugar under control. This morning my blood sugar was 90 and after eating breakfast, it was 85. We want to try to conceive after my leg is better and I would be much healthier, not to mention the wee one, if diabetes is controlled at the beginning.

I'm not posting this to become a theological debate. I just feel grateful for the way things turned out and wanted to share with my atoz family.

But I am going to miss being in the classroom this year! I can sub and volunteer so I can get a "kid fix".

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

I'm so glad you have this type of attitude. I agree sometimes things "work out" for the best even if we don't think it is.

I will pray that all keeps "going the way HE intended" for your life.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

Whether you believe in God or just in serendipity, it is a wonder how things work out sometimes!

I'm glad you're content with the plan you've got for the year - heal quickly, and enjoy married life and grad school! :)

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

I agree things tend to work out and getting "there" doesn't always make sense. Glad to hear you are doing well and are staying so positive.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Everything happens for a reason.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

Great thread, teacherintexas! I was listen to a song on the radio this morning with the lyrics 'God bless the broken road that led me straight to you.', and I was thinking how true that was in so many areas of our lives. I'm so happy that you're at peace with all the decisions, and wish you the best of luck in your recovery!

8. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

You have such a wonderful attitude. Even though I know I am blessed beyond anything I deserve, I sometimes get that "poor me" attitude. With your positive outlook, you are also going to heal much more quickly. When I think to how you broke your leg it makes me shiver...I am glad you didn't get even more injuries.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2009

That's one reason I am trying to keep a positive attitude. I know I easily could have been paralyzed, or killed. I'm having trouble healing, but it could have been so much worse.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

:yeahthat: I agree completely!

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

A positive attitude certainly helps. Don't let yourself get down, as it is only you that suffers.

12. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

God is in control.

13. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Love your attitude. You remind me of my husband. He always reminds me that everything happens for a reason. My brother had a heart attack (never explained) at age 22 and I was so angry. However, I have days where I believe it was intended so my brother would know to marry his future wife (wedding in May of 2010). They'd only been dating 2 weeks when he had his heart attack and she was AMAZINGLY supportive. My family immediately fell in love with her - most 23 year old's would have run away from a new relationship in that situation. Also, we always wondered how any woman would be good enough for my brother, and after the heart attack we all knew they'd get married some day!