It's been said before, but it is worth mentioning again...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Opal, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Please, please, PLEASE, treat the office staff with kindness and respect - it could cost you a job!

My P told me today that one of our new teachers abruptly quit because she got her previous job back, and that the office staff breathed a sigh of relief. They then told her how pushy and rude she had been to them - the P had NO idea!

Well, something happened to the other job she had secured and she came back asking for her job.

Three guesses who is out of luck and a job.... the first two don't count!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2011

Yup, the office staff is very important!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2011

...be nice to the custodians as well.:)
    Ours will help out by miraculously appearing with needed furniture, filing cabinet (I don't ask, I just say thank you),.move things, put stuff together...but only if you're nice.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

As a substitute teacher, I try to be friendly to everyone. I will say however, I wish that the office staff was always as friendly to subs. I have met some very crabby secretaries!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

I loved the secretary where I got hired at! We had a nice long chat before my interview. I was early and the other interview ran over. We got along so well and I was already feeling so good about the school before I even went into my interview! I'm not sure if she said anything to the interviewing committee or not but I still felt good about it!

I'm probably going to take someone's suggestions and make something for our office staff and custodians. I will do a big batch of something for all the teachers as well. I love to bake and figured what better use than to treat my wonderful new staff!

7. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Agreed, Joy!

The P's secretary at my other school was a crab. I was nice to her all the time, and after a while she began to be nice to me. She was still a crab to almost everyone else, though!

I think a good rule to follow is to just be nice. Period.

Last week when I was getting fingerprinted, there was a girl in front of me arguing with the guy in charge of fingerprinting. She kept repeating, "But I am certified, I have my certificate." Very loud, overbearing, and obnoxious. As luck would have it, she is sitting at the table next to me during training this week. I really don't know why she is at the training - she already knows everything! :p I have already heard people complaining about her....

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2011

yep - you definitely want them on your side as well as custodians... Well, I guess you need to be nice to everyone you work with because it just makes you school life easier.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2011

Secretaries know where all the bodies are buried, and custodians control access to the shovels. What more does one need?

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2011

I feel like this needs to be on a plaque in every school :lol:

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 2, 2011

I'd add, be nice to the tech people too. My guy is rather, um, overbearing, but I put up with him and listen to all his bad jokes, and he repays me with freebies and new stuff!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2011

And tech people update and debug the shovels.

13. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 2, 2011

That made my night!!! :) So, so funny and TRUE! The secretaries, custodians and tech people truly help every day! Another one I've found to be friendly to is the lunch staff - they've bailed me out a few times as well! (And when we forgot to turn in a field trip form, they didn't get too upset about the 100+ sack lunches we needed the next day! :eek:)

14. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I totally agree. When I had my LTS positions and just regular subbed the lunch ladies from both schools I was at really liked me. I would get so much food for my money. I chatted up the custodians and secretary too. We all got along very well. The tech guy even helped me fix my own personal laptop when I got a nasty virus on it. It really pays to be nice to everyone. I have found though it can be some of the teachers themselves who can be kinda catty to one another. I don't understand it. Why would someone want to create a negative work environment. The students can sense that stuff.

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

I absolutely love one of the secretaries where I'm a permanent sub. She even set me up with my boyfriend :)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2011

Our schools could not function without our office staff and caretakers. Unfortunately, I work with some teachers who feel that, because of their teaching degree, they are somehow superior. Guess who has to wait the longest for even the simplest request?

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 3, 2011

One of the custodians at my old school was a real crab. I was always nice to him, but he was still mean. An older teacher whispered to me that I should bake him a batch of cookies. She said the old saying "the way to a man's heart is through is stomach" applied in this case. Apparently, he had a real sweet tooth. I made him some cookies and from then on he was MUCH more friendly. LOL

18. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

That is so funny! I wonder if it works on crabby secretaries too. There is one school where I sub at that has a really mean secretary. She acts mad that I am even there. In the past, I have tried to avoid that school because it makes me feel bad to be treated that way. I have decided that if I end up subbing at that school this year, I am going to try to give her compliments. The problem is that I really don't want to be insincere so I will really need to rack my brain beforehand on what I could compliment her on. I doubt she would believe it if I said "You are always so bright and cheerful. I've never met a secretary so friendly!";)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2011

Good reminder OP. Just try to be nice to EVERYONE because you never know who you'll need to help you in the future. :)

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

At my last office job, the assistants were asked to sit in on second interviews for some candidates. At least a few of them squirmed after being less than gracious to the receptionist. They had no idea she would have a say in the hiring matter.

21. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

I have 2 mottoes, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" and "what goes around, comes around". Life is too short to burn any bridges, you don't know when you may need it again:lol: (mottos ?, mottoes ? spell check said it is correct, but it looks stupid, like a drink or something)

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

These are the people who truly run the school. TG, when you make that plaque, I want one ;)

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

Guess I better get busy, then - !

24. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

I get more favors by loving up to the secretaries. It helps that I really like both of them - they work really hard and they know what they're doing. However, they can get overwhelmed (I mean, who doesn't?) and that sometimes comes across as crabby to the rest of the staff. Instead of going all crabby back at them, I try to say something nice or send them a nice email or something, either thanking them for something they did for me or just telling them that I hope they have a great day or whatever.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Now, our custodians, on the other hand....I have to pretend to like them, but I do it. They are lazy and they lie. They hide out in my room (it's in a secluded spot but has a great view of the parking lot). I've found them asleep in there on mulitple occasions this summer when I've gone in to drop off supplies. They have a portable DVD player hooked up in my room, TONS of fast food trash (days worth), and I even found changes of clothing and shaving supplies, SHAMPOO, etc. Yuck.

25. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

^^^^ Ewww Kimrandy!!! Those custodians are gross...LOL