It's been 10 yrs since teaching and now...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by My3kloves, Jun 17, 2013.

1. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

It's been 10 years since I have taught and now I'm trying to get back. It has been such a hard and almost impossible experience.

I taught kinder for 4 yrs and then took off to raise my children.

I came to realize that getting a call for a teacher position isn't likely so I started applying for para jobs.

I had my first principal call me 2 weeks ago for a para sped job. I was so excited. Got there and they asked me to tell them about myself. After that 1st question, the lady asks me if I had completed my interview with HR and I said no. Then she said she couldn't interview me until I had passed the interview with HR. I was so upset and deflated. Although we did set up that interview which I am going to this week.

Then last week, another district calls me for a sped para position. I interviewed them. An hour after the interview, they called and offered me the job. But since I had set up the interview with HR at the other district, they allowed me to go to it and let them know my decision this week.

With that all said, I have had my most desired district call me for a teaching position. I interviewed with them last Thursday. I think it went great. But the told me they wouldn't call me until the end of this week. I also had another interview today for a para job at the same desired district.

I really, really want the teacher position. I just need to know if I am going to get the job soon because the district that has offered me the job is waiting.

This is all so stressful!!! Wish/pray that I get this teacher job please!!!

Also, do most here who are certified and can't seem to get an interview apply for para jobs too? If so, is it easier to do an in district transfer to a teacher position?

3. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

I'm in a very similar situation, I taught elementary school for three years before taking eleven years off to raise my family. I've been looking for a teaching position since I reactivated my certification in January. I've only had one interview so far, and I'm trying to figure out what would be best to do in the fall if I don't have a teaching position. Although it's hard to wait, I'm hoping that if I don't have a teaching job soon that there might be some last minute hiring done just before school starts. You asked an interesting question about doing an in district transfer from a para job to a teaching job, I am interested to see what other posters have to say. I hope things work out for you and you get a teaching position soon.

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 18, 2013

I am in the exact same position. I got very few calls until I did some long-term subbing. With the new references, particularly one from a principal who just loved me, I started getting more calls. It is very hard to get back in. It was quite a shock to realize that my stellar references from my old jobs (even though they had been updated) and my experience didn't seem to mean a darn thing any more.

If you really want to teach, I wouldn't accept a para job yet. It's still early and you can get one of those easily, anytime. Consider doing some LTS, too. Good luck!!!!

5. missklyssa

missklyssa Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

I graduated in December of 2010 (when it was REALLY hard to land a teaching job in my area) and ended up doing a long-term sub job in 2nd grade from January to May of 2011. I went on numerous interviews during that summer but never managed to land a job, so I worked as a para in pre-k for the 2011-2012 school year. When the year ended, I was able to put in a "transfer" request to a real teaching position because I was already in the district. Where I'm at, transfers are priority (ahead of new applicants) and I had DOZENS of interviews. I ended up getting offered my ideal job - kindergarten - after only 3.

..so in my case, having the para job made getting an "actual" job much easier!

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 18, 2013

ITA that it can be the foot in the door, but I just don't think she should settle yet...but yes, that would be a good way to get a job in some districts (not all-- in some places, once a para, always a para!)

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

I wouldn't mind working as a para before getting my own classroom but I'm really weary about doing so...you can get pigeonholed as a para forever if you go that route :/ I know someone who is currently in that situation and I feel terrible because I think she would be an awesome classroom teacher. She's also afraid to leave her job and go to another district because she doesn't want to be unemployed!

I spoke to a principal about this and she said that you should let admin know that you are interested in eventually becoming a classroom teacher but I think that honestly depends on the district. It sounds like that principal hires paras to be teachers eventually but others don't.

8. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 18, 2013

Thank you all for your advice!! So far...

1st interview... Offered me a para job.

2nd interview... Was for a teacher position and waiting

3rd interview... Offered me a para job

4th interview...Today I just got home from a para job fair. I met with an administrator and he started with our interview. He was very impressed with me and asked if I wanted to get back Into teaching. I said yes!! So then he continued with the interview but for a teacher position. In this district, you have to be interviewed by admin before principals can call me. I felt soooo good about today's interview and now just hope a principal will call me soon!!

5th interview... Is set for Monday for another para job.

If only more interviews were for a teaching job :blush:

9. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

That sounds like a good sign! I hope it turns into a teaching job ;)

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 19, 2013

I hope the teaching job materializes for you.