It's August 1st!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MrsCAD, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Aug 1, 2006

I just thought I would start a thread to see when everyone was starting back to school. With students and without.

I will be hitting everything pretty heavy on Monday, the seventh. I have everything set up for my kids so I can go do some work in my room, plus I have some workshops set up as well. Our students start back on the 21st. So, I only have about 2 1/2 weeks left until the students come!!!

What about everyone else?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

I just had an anxiety attack when I looked at how close it was. (Although I know many others are closer, I just have soooooo much left to do.) I officially go back on the 21st and the kids on the 23rd. However, the meetings started this week and I have 2 or 3 every week between now and then. :(

4. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2006

Sept 5 inservice
    Sept 6 (Wednesday) for students

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2006

I said the same thing - I can't believe it's August already! I don't know where the summer went. Tomorrow is my last official day of summer vacation. We start Teacher Prep on the 3rd and the students are back on the 14th.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2006

I have back to school night Thursday, inservices start on Friday, and our first 1/2 day is next Wednesday.

Akkkk! My room will be finished in the morning I hope & I am going to start planning for the first 1/2 and full day (maybe even the first full week). Also want to call my class tomorrow since I can't send out postcards.

Good luck everyone!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

Whoo hoo! I finally will get my keys to my new classroom at my new school tomorrow! Then I can finally begin moving in. I have been using my brother's room as storage (he's in Japan teaching). As a new teacher, I have to report back to work on the 8th. School begins on the 14th. My summer has been crammed with all sorts of fun activities (camping, trip to Tokyo, trip to San Luis Obispo, hiking, praciting my guitar) so I'm happy and ready for school to begin. I think....

8. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 1, 2006

Teachers were suppose to go back today, however other district arrangements have been made. The district is building three new schools and they are not going to be finished on time. Now, teachers go back the 16th and students go back the 23rd. I am not too happy because now we don't get out until later next year.

Reality has sent in because I have so much to do because I just transferred schools. I will be working in my room some this week and next week I will be working even harder!

Good luck to everyone -enjoy the last few free moments!

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2006

I am starting to feel the anxiety build as I sit here and look at how many days I have left until I have to be ready to go. We're going back the 21st of August and Back to school Nite is Aug. 22. My plan is to have my room DONE by August 21 so I can use the next few days to get my self ready to Teach again! Since I am moving to 2nd, I am anxious! It's a new grade and new things to learn.

10. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 1, 2006

We started our workshops today. School starts on Monday. August 7th is definitely the earliest school year I've ever had, even as a student. But, we get out in mid-May this year and have extra "hurricane" days in case we need them.

11. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

I went into my classroom today. It was used for summer school and was a mess!

Officially I go back 17th.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 2, 2006

We start Aug 30th (teachers) Sept 5 (students) usually we are let in about a week before for 3 days to clean up/set up---

13. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 2, 2006

I can't believe it is August already! Our first official day is Aug 14. We have back to school night on Aug 21 and the students start on Aug 22. I haven't done anything in my classroom yet, because last time I checked they are still working on refinishing all the floors and haven't gotten to my room yet. I'm going over there tomorrow to check. I'm eager to get in there and start setting up!

14. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Our first day of actual "school" is Thursday, as in August 3rd! (I am a preschool teacher at a private Christian school, so we are year round except for K-12th!) I, however, am going to miss the 3rd and 4th (that are half days) and the first full week. My youngest son who is starting K had his tonsils/adenoids out last Friday. I hate that we are missing the first week, BUT I'm hoping that it will save us quite a few sick days later! Although my co-teacher is having to deal with a sub for 2 weeks I made sure that we had 5 weeks of work ready, just in case!

15. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

:) HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPECEDTEACHER
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!:)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2006

Orientation for grades 6,7,8 & ( begins the week before Labor Day) (Aug 29 for me, Aug 28 for my Husband)

The whole school starts full day classes Sept 5.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2006

We have inservice on the 28th, all kids but K for a half day on the 29th, and all kids for whole day on the 30th. My baby has her first day of Kindergarten on her birthday!

I have three days of writing assessment scoring this week, an "Oh my gosh it's August lunch for my team next Thursday, and Team Leaders all day meeting next Friday. I think I'll be able to get into my room to start working sometime around the 21st. I've already started planning!

18. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 2, 2006

Teachers go back August 14th, students come back on August 21st. I haven't been in my classroom at all yet, but I'm planning on going in next Monday (the 7th) to laminate some things.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 2, 2006

We have inservice and workdays on August 7-10, our one and only comp day on Friday, and then students start on the 14th.

The good news is I have seventeen students enrolled as of today.

The bad news is eleven of them have bad reputations, but I'm hoping they have grown up a lot over the summer and will start fresh this year!

20. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I am still finishing up the 2005-2006 school year. Yes, it is year round and multi-track. The last day with kids will be next Friday, August 11th. Last day for teachers is the 14th. Then report back on August 25th for inservices. I am on the first track. The others need to report back on the 23rd, I believe. That's why I like the first track. I have some time before the new school year.

21. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

I start back on the 24th of August and students start Sept. 5th.

22. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I start Aug. 29th for meetings and the students start Aug. 6th

23. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

We officially go back the 21st, with kids the 22nd. However, I'm voluntarily going to two district workshops next week, and HAVE to participate in some three days the week before school starts.

24. MissV

MissV Companion

Aug 2, 2006

My School is doing some in-service this week and next week. The Kids come a half day next wednesday (August 9th) and school opens full time on the 14th. I'm so nervouse...like I don't have enough time, WHY DOES THE SUMMER FEEL SO SHORT?

25. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Aug 2, 2006

Do you get paid all those days for prep?

We have 3 paid inservice days; 2 of which are meetings/workshops.
    1 day for room prep.

In Wisconsin, schools (students) may not start before Sept 1st.
    It's a tourist thing I guess.
    Money before education!!!!

26. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Do you mean SEPT 6th??:confused:

27. flowerfreak

flowerfreak Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Inservice starts the 21 for teachers and kids are here on the 24. I'll hopefully start working in my room next week. My son and I were there on Monday...what a mess! The rooms had been waxed, etc. and the only piece of furniture in the right area even of the room was my desk! Never had that happen before!! So we spent the rest of the afternoon moving everything back!

28. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

yeah, my room was the same way.. floor not waxed, but the summer school teacher, man- learn some limits already!

29. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 3, 2006

We start back with preservice on the 28th of August, then open house, 2 prep days, home visits. The kids actually start Sept 11. I have actually been busy all summer getting ready for the new year. I am like that every year...i just can't wait to start teaching again and try all the new ideas I have! i know, I am a dork.

30. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Teachers start on the 9th and the kids on the 14th. But we have a fall, winter and spring break and still get out by the end of May, barring any freak snow storms, so that's okay. I'm grading the honors summer homework now. It gives me a pretty good idea what the year will be like. I look forward to the breaks as much as the kids, so the sooner we get started the sooner fall break will be. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but the breaks fall at just the right times. That makes planning easier too.

31. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

Teachers first day back was today, kids arrive on the 10th.

32. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

Teacher first day back was monday. First day in classroom, yesterday. Kids first day back the 14th

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

We had open house from 4-6 tonight. Opening day for staff is Monday, and kids come back Tuesday, August 8!

We do our in-services & workshops at the end of the previous school year, so we don't have to do them before school begins.

34. bookteacher

bookteacher Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

eep! it's scaring me a little that you're all going back so early when school doesn't start until the end of august for the majority...worries me a little about starting a brand new classroom....

but i move to baltimore august 11th...new teacher orientation the 15-17, county orientation 21-25, and the big day is august 28th!!! can't believe it's actually happening!!!

35. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 4, 2006

My start date is 9/1/06 and the kids first day is 9/5/06. I am so excited! I haven't even seen my room yet. I think I see it on Monday.:D

36. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

We don't start until the day after Labor Day.