It's all in the timing....eek.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by matteo49, Jul 22, 2009.

  1. matteo49

    matteo49 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 22, 2009

    So here's the deal. I have two schools that are pretty interested in me. They are as follows:

    School X:
    Public school near hometown (not where i live currently) who would want me to start this monday if I was hired. Interviewed last Monday, supposed to hear the decision today (but haven't yet).

    School Y:
    Private school in new town who wants me to come up for a second (and final) interview (their treat) next week to start work 2 1/2 weeks from now.

    I haven't had an offer yet from either, but I'm worried--since I will most likely hear from School X before School Y's interview even takes place...should I give up School Y (a once in a lifetime opportunity for this type of school) for School X? They both seem to like me a lot, and it's down to 3 Candidates for School X and 9 for School Y.

    This is all driving me a bit batty.....
     
  2.  
  3. rachaelski

    rachaelski Habitué

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Messages:
    788
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 22, 2009

    First off, yay for getting those interviews! I know you were stressing a while back. I would contact school Y and let them know your situation. Say you are very interested in the school, but you have another school that wants you to start before you would even have your second interview with them. Perhaps they will bump your interview up and make a decision a bit quicker!
     
  4. mom2alex

    mom2alex Companion

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    Messages:
    193
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 22, 2009

    Congrats on having two interested schools. I don't have any advice except to breathe! Did you end up hearing from School X today?
     
  5. chebrutta

    chebrutta Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    2,489
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 22, 2009

    If school X offers, I would tell them that their delay has caused a slight delay for you, as well, and that you'll need a few days. Then take rachaelski's advice... and we'll all cross our fingers!
     
  6. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 22, 2009

    I would take a public school job over private. The benefits and retirement are something that will be better in the long run. But you have to do what you feel good about. All the best. That was just my 2 cents.
     
  7. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Jul 22, 2009

    Good luck on both!
     
  8. Simba

    Simba Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Messages:
    302
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 22, 2009

    I agree with SCTeach.
    Congrats on the 2 and Good Luck!!
     
  9. INteacher

    INteacher Aficionado

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    3,765
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jul 22, 2009

    Wow - Good Luck with both :) Hopefully you will hear soon on the position that starts on Monday - that's like in 4 days :)
     
  10. matteo49

    matteo49 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 23, 2009

    No, they never did contact me. Ugh. It's awesome when everyone keeps their word.....

    The Private School / Public School thing is true for the most part, but this is a very very different type of private school.
     
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  11. Kangaroo22

    Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Messages:
    6,216
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 23, 2009

    Good luck!
     
  12. ambritlit

    ambritlit Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Messages:
    155
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 23, 2009

    I was in a similar situation this year. I was very interested in working at a charter school in a nearby town, but I never received a call. I interviewed at a school two towns over and was offered a job. Before I officially accepted it, the charter school called! I went in for an interview and they told me on the spot "We would like to have you teach here" BUT I still had to interview with someone else who was out of town for two more weeks.

    I was very honest and said that, unless they could tell me something definite within a day or two, I would have to proceed with my original job offer. I said that I did not want it to appear as if I were trying to use one job offer to leverage my position with them, but I just wanted to let them know my situation. I said I don't want to waste your time by having you check references, etc. if I'm not going to be available when the official offer comes.They understood but couldn't do anything for two more weeks, so I took the first job. Supposedly the second interview was just a formality, but I was not going to turn down a job and take that chance. I can't be unemployed right now.

    I would just be very honest and tell them your situation.
     
  13. mom2ohc

    mom2ohc Habitué

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Messages:
    974
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 23, 2009

    hope you hear soon!
     
  14. matteo49

    matteo49 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2009
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 24, 2009

    still no word from school X. School Y has offered to fly me up for the interview this coming Monday (When school X's preplanning is supposed to start)....the job is still posted online, too. Oi. Nothing like last minute.......
     
  15. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 24, 2009

    WOW! Take the trip. Have your cell on incase X calls and BEST of luck!:)
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. MrsC,
  2. Zine,
  3. Missy
Total: 338 (members: 5, guests: 305, robots: 28)
test