It's all in the timing....eek.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by matteo49, Jul 22, 2009.

1. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

So here's the deal. I have two schools that are pretty interested in me. They are as follows:

School X:
    Public school near hometown (not where i live currently) who would want me to start this monday if I was hired. Interviewed last Monday, supposed to hear the decision today (but haven't yet).

School Y:
    Private school in new town who wants me to come up for a second (and final) interview (their treat) next week to start work 2 1/2 weeks from now.

I haven't had an offer yet from either, but I'm worried--since I will most likely hear from School X before School Y's interview even takes place...should I give up School Y (a once in a lifetime opportunity for this type of school) for School X? They both seem to like me a lot, and it's down to 3 Candidates for School X and 9 for School Y.

This is all driving me a bit batty.....

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

First off, yay for getting those interviews! I know you were stressing a while back. I would contact school Y and let them know your situation. Say you are very interested in the school, but you have another school that wants you to start before you would even have your second interview with them. Perhaps they will bump your interview up and make a decision a bit quicker!

4. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 22, 2009

Congrats on having two interested schools. I don't have any advice except to breathe! Did you end up hearing from School X today?

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

If school X offers, I would tell them that their delay has caused a slight delay for you, as well, and that you'll need a few days. Then take rachaelski's advice... and we'll all cross our fingers!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2009

I would take a public school job over private. The benefits and retirement are something that will be better in the long run. But you have to do what you feel good about. All the best. That was just my 2 cents.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

Good luck on both!

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I agree with SCTeach.
    Congrats on the 2 and Good Luck!!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

Wow - Good Luck with both :) Hopefully you will hear soon on the position that starts on Monday - that's like in 4 days :)

10. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

No, they never did contact me. Ugh. It's awesome when everyone keeps their word.....

The Private School / Public School thing is true for the most part, but this is a very very different type of private school.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Good luck!

12. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I was in a similar situation this year. I was very interested in working at a charter school in a nearby town, but I never received a call. I interviewed at a school two towns over and was offered a job. Before I officially accepted it, the charter school called! I went in for an interview and they told me on the spot "We would like to have you teach here" BUT I still had to interview with someone else who was out of town for two more weeks.

I was very honest and said that, unless they could tell me something definite within a day or two, I would have to proceed with my original job offer. I said that I did not want it to appear as if I were trying to use one job offer to leverage my position with them, but I just wanted to let them know my situation. I said I don't want to waste your time by having you check references, etc. if I'm not going to be available when the official offer comes.They understood but couldn't do anything for two more weeks, so I took the first job. Supposedly the second interview was just a formality, but I was not going to turn down a job and take that chance. I can't be unemployed right now.

I would just be very honest and tell them your situation.

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

hope you hear soon!

14. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

still no word from school X. School Y has offered to fly me up for the interview this coming Monday (When school X's preplanning is supposed to start)....the job is still posted online, too. Oi. Nothing like last minute.......

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

WOW! Take the trip. Have your cell on incase X calls and BEST of luck!:)