It's all about perspective

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2011

As you know, last weekend we were visited by Hurricane Irene. Catholic Charities asked my school if we would act as an evacuation shelter for some of the residents of the homes it runs, mostly mentally handicapped adults.

I have to interrupt and tell you about our campus. We're surrounded by fields-- I think it's 6 different fields, but it may be more than that. We have 3 interior courtyards. All 3 have koi ponds, with a number of families of ducks. One courtyard is home to 3 or 4 peacocks. The auditorium lobby is home to a number of beautiful blue and gold and green parrots in cages.There are flowers and trees and bushes everywhere. The interior is immaculate; not a trace of graffiti, and everythng from the bathrooms to the hallways is well decorated, with photographs and inspiritational posters. It really is a gorgeous campus.

Anyway, on Sunday one of the priests said mass. One of the guests went up to Father afterwards and complimented him on his sermon. She then said: "This is the nicest vacation I've ever had."

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 2, 2011

cute ;)

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

:)

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

Aw! That is cute!
    By the way, it sounds like a beautiful school! Wow! That is so nice to have all of those animals- how cool! We cannot even have classroom pets- although I think I could get away with sneaking in a fish, but I won't.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Oh, I didn't even mention "the zoo." One of the science labs is home to everything from rabbits to hamsters to a chinchilla to I don't even now what else. And we have lots of dogs-- I think each member of the religious community that runs our school probably has his own dog. Kids volunteer to go upstairs during their lumch periods and walk the dogs. One or two live in the guidance offices, and the principal's dog is a beautiful white one who is seldom awake-- she's like a big white rug on the floor. :)

I guess if you have to be evacuated somewhere during a hurricane, it's probably one of your best choices.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

That sounds like my kind of place. Lucky you!

8. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Sep 3, 2011

That beats the heck out of the local middle school where we placed stranded debaters during a blizzard when I was in college. They had cocoa and played basketball, but otherwise it was...a middle school.