It's a...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

We had our anatomy ultra sound today. I honestly felt like it was Christmas morning when trying to fall asleep last night. I was really hoping for a girl, for the basic fact that I'm a girl and understand girls and pink sparkles are fun, even though I'm really, really trying to work on staying away from gender stereotypes. Dh really wanted a boy, for many of the same reasons (substitute his visions of mountain biking with a son for the pink sparkles).

Our ultrasound tech was a real treat. We could smell the cigarette smoke 10 feet away, and she looked about 80, even though she was probably 50. We were going to video tape the visit, but thought better of it after the first few minutes with her. While nice and very knowledgeable about baby body parts, she was extremely gruff and kept getting upset at the baby for moving so much. Apparently we have an extreme wiggler on our hands, and it wouldn't stay still long enough for her to get the pictures she needed. Below is one of the face, although it's arm was mostly in the way anytime she tried to get a picture.

[​IMG]

After asking us when we first got in if we wanted to know the sex, and hearing us both say 'YES!', she pulled out her wand, moved it around a bit and said 'It's a boy.' And then moved on. A bit anti-climatic, but we're still pretty darn excited. I've spent the morning adjusting my thought process to having a boy, and am getting more and more excited. I ordered Dh some 'I'm having a son' presents, below. Dh is in to sock monkeys, and got a matching set of hand crocheted sock monkey hats for him and the baby. So I thought these little onesies would be fun to wear with the hat. While I won't be looking at the tutus and bows, I'm getting more in to the idea of other fun items for boys. Overalls and jackets and Woody from Toy Story.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Congrats! And cute gifts for your hubby :)

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations! How cute.

When they put that precious bundle in your arms, and you fall in love with his gorgeous face, all thought about wanting a girl will vanish.

(...of course, when you go for baby#2, you will still want a girl!!)

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations!

Don't worry, boys can be just as much fun as girls. I think, anyway (you know... not actually having a girl makes it hard to judge). While they might not go for the pink sparkles, you can still do plenty of craft-type activities that they'll probably like.

I think they train ultrasound techs not to show any emotion when giving the gender. Ours did the same thing. I guess they don't know how the parents will feel about it.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Thanks, guys! Great point, 3Sons. Swansong-I just can't wait. While some people love being pregnant, I'm really ready to just have that baby! Impatient, much? ;)

He's been 'dancing' all afternoon. Must know that the whole family has started shopping for him.

Now the race for a name is on. We can NOT find a boy's name that we 'feel'. We've read books, looked at websites, scanned all the junk at Disney that has names on it. We either know someone with that name, someone has a child with that name, I've taught a child with that name or it just sounds wrong.

Dh is kicking around Leif. I think it's hilarious. Leif Uppman. We're not Scandinavian or anything... ;)

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

What great news! I'm so excited for you!!! :hugs:

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 26, 2012

The baby could still be a girl... I've had a couple of friends who thought they were having a baby of a certain sex, and then it came out as the other. They had to return everything that had the other name on it! Those ultrasounds (and the people reading them) don't always tell the truth. So there may still be pink sparkles in your future!

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012

Looks just like Winston Churchill!!!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

Congrats! How exciting!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

Congrats! Boys are the best (and girls are the best, too!). Not all girls are into sparkles and tutus (Lauren would have run in the opposite direction and thrown herself into the biggest mud puddle she could find). Every baby will fill your heart with more love than you ever believed was possible.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Oh, how sweet. Just enjoy the ride.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Thanks, Kate, but I'm adjusting to the idea quite nicely. She pointed out the anatomy and it appeared pretty obvious to us, even with our untrained eyes. My friend did think she was having a girl, though, and it turned out to be a boy. She also had the baby on the side of the highway with several firetrucks helping out. That was one crazy story.

Sarge-you crack me up. I'm fully prepared to have an alien baby. But a Winston Churchill? I'm going to need a lot of chocolate to get through that one.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 26, 2012

Leif Uppman sounds good to me. Then again I actually am Scandinavian so perhaps that's why!

Congrats again, and the gifts are very cute.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2012

Sounds like we raised the same girls. Softball and pink sparkles just did not go together. I wold have had a better chance of getting my son to wear the pink sparkles!!

Congrats Jem!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

CONGRATS!!!!! And my girl is sooooooo not into pink sparkles or anything too girly!! Sounds like she's going to grow up to be another Lauren, Mrs. C

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations! My husband and I found out last week that we're having a boy, too! I'm due June 9!

When are you due??

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

That's my husband's birthday, teachin! We're due June 30th according to the OBGYN and June 26th according to the last ultrasound's measurements. This tech was grumpy and said she couldn't tell. Our OBGYN said they stick to their due date no matter what, so June 30th it is! Although my mom calls it a guess date, which is more accurate. ;)

I've been spending the last few hours looking for pictures books and plush versions of their main characters. There's not much we need for our registry, but I've been told we have to put something on it. So it's basically filled with cloth diapers and books. As if we need more books, with thousands in the garage from Sprout (I can never take anything out of the inventory without feeling like I'm stealing from myself.....).

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations Jem & Congratulations teachin4ever.
    That's really a shame the tech acted that way. The techs I had were very nurturing, friendly, and excited for us. I hope you have a much better tech next time. I would have loved to record my ultrasound but my hospital didn't allow it. Interesting how they are all different.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2012

Congrats!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

I'm the proud mom of two boys (actually MEN now...it goes fast!). Congrats, Jem....you're in for the ride of your life. Beats Disney any day.:love:

23. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 26, 2012

Congratulations!!

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

Awesome! Congratuations. Boys must be on the horizon. A gf had her ultra-sound today & is having a boy.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

Absolutely!!!

Jem, it's such fun being the mom of a boy!!!

I was always a girly girl. Being the mom of a boy has opened my eyes to a whole other part of the world. For example, I know the names of more types of construction vechicles than you would believe. I can't tell you how many times we went behind the supermarket to the loading dock to see them unload. I know about Lake George steamboats and about the different ferries that run from Long Island to Conneticut. (I mean the actual boats and their capacities, not just scheduling.) I've watched shows like "Top Ten Tanks" and "Top Ten Rifles"-- things I would never have watched on my own.

There's a whole world out there that Brian has introduced me to.

You're going to have the time of your life.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2012

You will never have another dull moment in your life. Boys are so much fun!

And, you can never tell about personality. MrsC has a girl who likes soccer and mud puddles and I have a boy who likes ballet class and figure skating. You really just have to wait and watch. I think the most fun part of parenting is watching who your children are becoming and learning about, and supporting their hopes and dreams.

27. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 26, 2012

These comments are making me feel so good! I'm really getting excited. Dh randomly texted me today 'we're having a boy!!' which was the icing on the cake. He hasn't been that involved-he goes to appointments but won't research or read books-so I think this is the turning point. He even registered for a baby tennis racket because he can't wait to teach the kid.

I went to Babies R Us tonight and looked at the boy section. Lots of trucks, sports and guitars. I picked up a monkey outfit and have my eye on some bug stuff I know will go on clearance before our due date. I'm not thrilled with the sports monopoly, but maybe I can find some 'running' stuff.

Scmom-I'm going to the book store tomorrow, so I will look for that book!

29. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 26, 2012

I like Leif!!! But then I am also scandinavian and my son is Axel Sebastian. Axel after my grandfather that immigrated to the US at 17 and Sebastian for the crab in little mermaid.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012

looks like the dancing baby

I like boys better than girls, I have 4 girls and 2 boys.

31. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

Jem, may I make some suggestions? You know I will no matter what.

1. Read up on early brain development. Infants need to build their vision. You know all those toys that are black, white, and red? They are made especially for babies to increase their vision. These visual exercises also create brain synapses (somewhat like listening to music does). The more brain synapses, the more potentional for learning.

2. Make sure you have crib pads. A baby really sweats a lot, and if all you use on the mattrass is a sheet, the sweating increases. They are not very glamourous, but if you have 2 or 3 of them, you will be happy.

32. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 27, 2012

Congrats. Take it from the mother of two step-sons and now a boy of my own....boys LOVE their moms more than anything! I wanted a girl so bad since I already had the two step-sons, but it wasn't in the cards. Now I couldn't imagine my little man being anything but my little man who steals my heart more than his daddy ever could! He gives me one "mama" and I want nothing more to hold him and kiss him!

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 27, 2012

Congrats and what an AMAZING picture!

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2012

CONGRATS JEM!!!! How exciting.

35. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2012

Jem, I've been absent for a long time. I've just been busy and distracted...so I've missed that you're expecting. CONGRATS! I have three girls, and I had a lot of disappointment at our last sonogram when they announced I was, again, having a girl. So, I understand a little of how you feel...but once she arrived, I couldn't imagine having life any other way.

36. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

Thanks again for the congrats, guys! I woke up at 4am this morning and could NOT get back to sleep. I spent 2.5 hours watching Netflick and looking at nursery ideas online. As much as I don't like leaning towards pink/blue steroetypes, it IS nice to know it's a boy going forward. I'm not even slightly disappointed anymore. Just super excited and happy!

I belong to a group that discusses issues of girl self-esteem, and I was reading a posted article about how damaging Seventeen magazine is to teenage girls, written by a teenager. It had me thinking about how I can teach our son to treat girls with respect and understand the insecurity they are going through, and help him be a gentlemen to his dates. And I'm sketching out what I want our shelves/organization system to look like in the nursery, as a friend is making them for us, and I'm thinking about what types of toys to put in the baskets. It's so much fun to think about stimulating toys and building pieces and little stuffed animals.

37. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 27, 2012

Man, this thread makes me want to have a baby. Now if I can only convince my husband that it's time... ;)

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2012

Jem, you can not teach him how to treat women/girls by yourself,
    in fact how your husband treats you and other women in your son's life will be the best teacher!

but before you get too excited (which you are most entitled to be) let the kid be born first :lol: (I just love expectant first time parents)
    no matter how you plan for his life it will change just remember what John Lennon said "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    I love expectant moms you can see "the Glow"

keep us informed, at times it does take a village.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2012

I grew up reading Seventeen magazine...and was never damaged by it. But there are some who will object to anything...I see nothing wrong with shoes and prom dresses and cookie recipes and self esteem articles. There are magazines for most demographics....I don't read or object to or judge those who read publications even though they are nothing to do with me.

I 'grew up' to marry a perfect gentleman. And I've raised young men who treat their girlfriends with respect....despite bunk beds and tonka trucks and Star Wars action figures...and by the way, boys have their own insecurities and heartaches...I can't imagine ever having been even a whisper of a bit disappointed to know I was having a son...

You'll find your own way, Jem. There will be plenty who will advise you on birthing, feeding, sleeping, schooling. Do what works for you and your child. Just love him. Let him tell you who he is.

40. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

Dave-I would think whether it's your first child or fourth, you'd be excited. Morning sickness, the loss of my waist and therefor my wardrobe and all the other lovely side effect of pregnancy have given me the right to 'glow' and get super excited. And while having a child might start at birth for a man (although not necessarily), I'm lucky enough to feel the baby every day, being reminded that I'm already a mama. Born or not, I have a child and am excited!

Czacza-I respectfully disagree with the belief that Seventeen is not damaging. Their focus on superficial beauty, their single definition of that superficial beauty, their focus on sex in high school and their constant message of consumption is not what I would want my daughter reading and absorbing each month. And while I'm sure my son will be his own person, I will be my own parent and am thinking now about what type of parent I want to be. And I don't think it makes me a bad person to have wanted a girl and needed a moment to adjust to the thought of having a boy. My husband wanted a boy, and I would not have faulted for a second if he had to adjust to us having a girl. But just as he would have loved her like crazy, I'm going to live and die for this boy.

I'm not sure why these comments found their way on to a post of celebration, but I'll ask that they stop. I'm glad that you raised three wonderful boys, and I pray that my son joins their ranks. As you said in an earlier post, 'I was never sick, but both times I was so over the moon that I couldn't forget...my head swirling with names and nursery plans and dreams.'

That's all I'm doing. Planning and dreaming. And just as you had plans and dreams and your boys found their own way, so will mine.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2012

I had two boys...and as a parent, I'm not judgemental of anyone's parenting choices...reread my last few sentences. Make the decisions that are right for your family. Your baby is dancing and growing under your heart right now...and a piece of him will stay there. Always.:love:
    Again, congrats to you.: