It's a no

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mego65, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

The principal was very nice and said she really wanted to hire me, but they interviewed someone with 20 years experience in that grade. So, of course I have no chance against that.

3. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Yuck.

Keep on keepin' on!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

I'm so sorry! I know it stinks right now. Something better will come along. BTW.I was wondering why you want to move?

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

:hugs: mego I am sorry :hugs: do you have any other prospects?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry. I would have thought they would be looking to save money and not hire someone with so much experience. You're job is out there!

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I've looked for two years in Cali. My area has no jobs, and I mean none. Every year another 100 teachers get layed off and no jobs are ever opened. I have family and connections in Austin Texas, so it is my best chance at getting a job and being happy.

8. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Are you only looking in the Austin area?

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 6, 2009

Bummer :-(. At least you can feel confident in that the person hired was hired for the experience, and it wasn't the principal's nice or the secretary's best friend or something annoying like that. Best wishes on the continued search.

10. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Actually the principal is good friends with my sister. So, that's how I got the interview. But, I'm a great teacher that had a great an interview. So, I did deserve it.

Yes, I am only looking in the Austin area. I have family and great connections, my sister is an assistant superintendent, so I have really good shots, actually practically a guaranteed job, I just want it now. I don't have much room to complain, except that I just want to know where I am working so I can start moving. Plus, I never completely the trust the "Trust me I will get you a job." I've heard it too many times before.

11. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

Sorry to hear that! :( It's happened to me before so I feel your pain. The right job will come along though!

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 6, 2009

I know the feeling of hearing "I will get you a job." You end up feeling betrayed. Your job is coming and it will be perfect for you.

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

This specific person has never let me down, but plenty of other people have. So, just can't take it as 100%, they mean well, but it doesn't always work.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

I hope everything works out for you mego65!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

Mego - Sometimes having that much experience is a disadvantage. The person can retire in less than 10 years, the district has to pay the person more, and if the person has their master's degree they have to pay even more. A lot of times the old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" applies to someone with that much experience. They have seen the cycle of education and become a little jaded. Administrators know this. Any of you out there with 20+ experience, do not feel like I stepped on your toes. I have 20 years in and I DO NOT fall into this category at all. I consider myself a learner and feel, like my years have brought about a level of wisdom. But I have seen the other side of that too. So, I am just playing devil's advocate here.

Mego - you are one of my favorite posters. You will get something. Please know that positions are STILL out there. And, I really, really hope you get another interview soon. But, DON'T let experience fool you. Sometimes that is just as much a deficit as inexperience!:hugs:

16. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

Thanks