ITERS/ECERS rule about cots?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

I've been told there is a rule about having cots three feet apart from each other while napping, but is there a rule about the storage of cots?

We have the interlocking cots and they are being stored in my supply closet. My closet is tiny, and it is virtually impossible to get to my supplies with the cots in there. I'm thinking about clearing a corner of my room to store the cots. I would cover them with a blanket or tarp to deter climbing from the children. Is this against the rules?

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 15, 2008

I would imagine not-but I would say use part of that cover as a felt board or pocket chart of some sort so you are able to use it. There is so much you are trying to cover w/those scales that if you give up that much of your area you could be stuck for space later. I love dual use.

4. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Nov 15, 2008

We follow ECERS and the requirements we have with regard to the mats is that they are not stored with sheets on ....the mats must be sprayed with bleach and wiped down daily. Children should be sleeping (ideally) 36 inches apart but you can get away with 18" apart but no special requirements for storing or stacking them. I just have them stacked one on top of the other and they are in a corner of my room.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Nov 15, 2008

I don't know about the official guidelines but I wanted to say that I have the same cots you are describing and I store them against a wall in my room. I have NEVER once had to tell a child not to climb on them. It just never occurred to them that that was an option. Maybe your group would be the same way.

Recently, when we do a messy project that needs lots of drying space, I have been using the stack of cots as a makeshift drying rack.

6. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

Lol, I laughed when I read this. We have to have a diaper changing table in my room because I have a child with special needs still in diapers. We are constantly using the diaper table for drying space, because really, it takes up a large amount of space. I'm hoping next year it can be moved out and that area would be a natural space for cot storage.

Oh, I'm pretty sure my kids would try to climb on them. They try to climb on the tables, the fence outside, the chairs, etc. I sooooo wish we had a climbing structure outside for them to play on.

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 15, 2008

wow-- no climbing structure outside--- that stinks-- I am constantly learning how fortunate I am to work where i do-- our director sends around a shopping list each month for supplies for special projects and the center provides all our arts and crafts materials, we can put things like sharpies and dry erase markers, and items for special projects etc on the monthly shopping list, and we have a toddler side of the palyground with toddler size climbing structures and swings and toys and we have a preschool side with a climbing structure taht ahs a slide , a junglegym/geodome, a "spider" or rainbow climbing structure, a structure that has a tunnel and a small slide and a lower climbing area, swings, a balance beam, 2 see saws, a large sandbox, a caterpillar tunnel/climbing thing, a castle structure, a playhouse, a kitchen set and lots of balls, jumpropes, hopper balls trucks, child size tables and chairs /picnic tables, and toys and room to run and play games plus we have a small Big Room area inside for rainy days where we have inside riding toys, tires to stack (no more than 3 high is our rule) and spread out to hop in etc. hopper balls, and large foam blocks of differnt shapes that we use to make obstacle courses or "mountains" for them to climb over and a tunnel. We can use parachutes or ring toss or do relay type races etc in that area and the immediate hallway and if it's been a long week of riany or too cold weather, the church will soemtimes let us use their building that has a multi purpose gym that is carpeted and they set up chairs in it for church services and we can go over there and run and play with balls etc. I will have to tell my director how truely blessed we are.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 15, 2008

I miss spoke in that last post-- the tires are on the playground not in the Big Room!

9. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

Can I come play with you? Pretty please? :hugs: No, really, we do have a plastic play structure, it's just too high off the ground for them to climb on. And we also have tricycles and a concrete path, a basketball hoop and balls, a tunnel thing that they crawl through or sit on top of, hopper balls, a small sand table, large water table, play house, and we have brought trucks, chalk, books, baby dolls, and puzzles outside in a plastic shelfing unit. What I wouldn't give for a full-sized sandbox and either a climbing wall or a jungle gym, though. I miss swings as well. On rainy days we do extra music activities with instruments, get the parachute out, or they have extra center time.

I get $10 a month for supplies . . . it doesn't go very far, but I get $1500 at the end of the year to order things.