Items you use at school that are not "typcal" teacher items

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chas, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

As a preschool teacher, I must have on hand lots and lots of bandaids-princess, tatoo, Spiderman, rainbow...its amazing how a bandaid makes everything better. And I think a rubber chicken would be real fun for this age too.

2. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

Happy to share the rubber chicken love. :lol:

I'm sure I'll add more to the list once I actually get in my classroom next week!

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

But those are staples in special ed! :)

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

Hmmm, rubber chicken going on my wish list. And a rubber pig. And a rubber cow....oops, that's what they serve in the cafeteria! :lol:

So Sarge, what do ya do with a suction cup like that? I can imagine hooking it to the wall to hang things on, like umbrella or a bag or that one student who says "why" every time you tell him to do something...spill the beans!

Hey, that's something else I use....huge tubs of dried beans for the kids to roll around in.

5. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I have a soccer ball with numbers 1-12 written in the pentagon shapes all around it. We play thumb ball for mult. review - stand in a circle and toss the ball to someone. Whatever numbers their two thumbs are on, they have to multiply. You can do it with tons of other math ideas too.

I have a shoe holder that hangs from command hooks on the wall and holds extra supplies - scissors, glue sticks, paper clips, bandaids, etc... it saves a lot of "But Mrs. P...I can't find my ..." every time we started a project.

I use a laundry basket to hold all of our playground equipment.

I think I should start buying stock in Command hooks, lol. We have brick walls aren't allowed to screw anything into them...so everything is commanded up.

I, too, have a rubber chicken, lol! I actually had it because I hid it (among other things) under my wedding dress before my husband went for the garter at our reception. After the wedding, I was like what the heck do I do with this now? So, it made it's way to my room. We pass it around during community circle time to do appreciations and to review for lessons.

6. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

Haha, yeah, I guess you're right. But it makes our room a very popular place to be. :)

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

Of all things, hourglasses or those eggtimers with the sand in them! I picked up a few at flea markets, garage sales and the dollar stores, and no matter what grade I teach, the kids are fascinated with them, wanting to time everything they do, time each other, compete with the best times. It is the strangest thing!

8. mdee

mdee Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I'm not familiar with Command hooks. Can you tell us what they are? I also have brick walls. I'm curious.
    Thanks.

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

I have to have the following:
    Hand sanitizer
    Stikki (sp?) clips
    chocolate candy-to keep my sanity
    painters tape-better than masking
    Xacto knife
    real plants
    clear contact paper
    fishing line

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

Command hooks are made by 3M, I believe. You can find them in the hardware aisle at Target, by the lightbulbs. They are hooks that stick onto the wall with a strip of really, really sticky 'tape'. But then you can just pull the strip out when you want to take the hook down, and it does not damage the wall. Apparently they stick anywhere! I got one in my Staples goody bag and can't wait to try it!!

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Okay, so now I know that I need a Rubber Chicken and Vinyl Tablecloth!

12. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Command hooks are by 3M. They are self-adhesive - come in tons of different sizes and shapes. I use them to hang posters, a shoe holder with supplies, math tool kits, etc.

13. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Yup! I LOVE them! We have a brand new school (well, 3 years old now), with cement block walls, so we can't screw anything in. I use command hooks a TON - to hang anything you would normally hang up with screws or nails. I also use command adhesive strips to hang up all my posters on the walls. I've had some strips up for 3 years now, and they're still going strong - and they don't leave a mark on the wall.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

lots of rubber ducks (Students collect them as a prize for bringing in something like packs of ditto paper or sets of dry erase markers.

an apron
    an old tin cooking pot and a wooden spoon
    a paper chef hat
    all good for "cooking up a souper story or souper hooks or souper anything

a koosh ballTrashketball

a fabric closet organizer that opens up to hold sweaters or clothesstore magazines and construction paper in each cubby

a coffee pot and the makingsfor waking me up

an extra printer that doesn't work so kids can ask me if it works

lice spray guess