Items You Do NOT Want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2008

Maybe if enough people say similar things, it will give us ideas of what's unpopular for a gift.

I dislike/despise:

• Candles
    • Rose & vanilla scented items
    • Cheap tree ornaments (I prefer to pick my own)
    • Truffles (candy)
    • Perfume/cologne (unless they know what I like)
    • Coffee cups & coffee-flavored candy
    • Black licorice-flavored candy, etc.

I'd rather have socks more than the above! :) I can't think of anything else right now.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

Coffee cups!!!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 19, 2008

Clothes that someone else picks out for me! I'd rather have gift cards.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

My boyfriend asked if he should get me clothes and I looked at him in horror! I can't imagine what he would get but it would not be pretty

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Honestly, I don't care. Whatever my family gets me will be wonderful.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I agree. I am just so thankful I have people in my life that care enough about me to take the time to give me a gift.:)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

honestly, I don't usually like most gifts unless they are gift cards. most people I know buy me things THEY would like, and my tastes are very particular. I hate to say that... if feels so bad. The exception is my grandmother, who always seems to get me the perfect gift!

However, I am very appreciative of the gifts I DO receive, because i don't get all that many (very small family, struggling for $) I know that what I do get is heartfelt.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2008

Clothes...I'd rather have a gift card and buy my own.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

Sweets or desserts - I feel obligated to eat them ... no, that's a lie ... I just can't resist :D

11. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I'd take any of these things if they are given in love and appreciate them. Honestly, I don't mean to be mean, but some of these threads are taking a very selfish tone.

12. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I ABSOLUTELY agree! I just wnat my family to be near me. All this hype about what you want and what you don't want, and whatever else is just crazy and not important.
    Christmas is about being with family and feeling loved. When I have those 2 I know that I have everything. I can care less if I get all the dumbest things, I got them with love.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

I'm thankful for anyone who thinks of me and gives me a gift...When I receive gifts that just 'aren't me', I either return them and get something I want, or pass on to a friend who does work for the Cancer Society...she makes the nicest gift baskets from 'recycled' teacher gifts and brings in lots of $$ for Cancer research at their walk=a=thon, auction each year...

14. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

agreed. Best not to look a gift horse in the mouth...

15. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I love that idea czacza :) Cool!!! I like what your friend. I have been working a lot with children cancer institutes and it's incredible!!! :) I took all the fudge and cookies I got and gave them to the nursesand they were so stunned.
    AMAZING!!

16. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

I don't think the OP is being selfish. I think that she is stating a fact. No matter how grateful we are to be thought of, and cared enough about to be given a gift, the fact remains that we sometimes get gifts that we don't love.

Some people are just the best gift givers. It seems as though they can always pick out the perfect gift.

Some folks just can't. They try hard, and put lots of love into it, but the gift just isn't perfect for the receiver.

Personally, I stink at giving gifts. I can never find/come up with/think of the best gift when it comes down to it. I totally rock at giving cards thru out the year, but make me pick a gift, and OMG!

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

BTW--great idea czacza! That is awesome!

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

I don't think Ms. I meant it in the way some of you are taking it. You're being a bit rough. I appreciate anyone thinking of me, but I do wish they wouldn't give me any perfumed lotion. It irritates my skin. However, I'm positive they were just thinking how nice it smelled and that they'd like me to have it.

18. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

exactly- it was the thought the counts, not that they wanted your skin to itch. I just think about the many many many people that don't get to do anything. I go to hospitals daily and see many children, adults, and seniors that are alone all the time. They would love to have the simple things that we are just passing of for a gift that we JUST DON'T WANT!!
    If I am being rough, sorry, but it seems to me that there are a lot of threads about what people want, what people don't want, things you bough recently, etc... it's all about materials. What about, "what was the last nice thing you did for someone?"
    My husband is in a bad position as are a lot of other people that are in hospitals around this time of year and I am just so upset with people taking life for granted and being so selfish or acting selfish.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2008

Go 4th and shouldbeasleep, thank your for your support! :love: Everyone, lighten up, this is just for fun. Threads such as these are not meant to have any negative tones to them.

I can honestly say that I'm the sweetest person that anyone will ever know. Of course if someone's going to tk the time to give me a gift, I appreciate it & I tell them that. They'll NEVER know if I don't like it. It's certainly the thought that counts. As we all know, the truth of the matter is, unless someone knows you VERY well, everything people give others is just a guess of what they THINK & HOPE the recipient will like.

I've donated things for Thanksgivings & Christmases before & always think about those who are less fortunate.

Again, this is just for fun. It's like when everyone gives everyone fruitcake, but no one really wants it (well, some might!), so they give it to someone else! ;)

BTW, New3rdTeacher, I hope you're not insinuating that I take life for granted & am selfish because neither you nor anyone else on this board knows me & you don't know what I go through & vice versa. I'd never make or hint such unnecessary statments of opinion like you did towards anyone & definitely not to strangers on a discussion board.

Anyway, carry on everyone! :)

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 21, 2008

I know there has come a time for everyone when they are about to open a gift from Aunt Soandso and think to themselves, "I hope it's not another _______". :lol:

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

If I get candles, picture frames, lotion, christmas decorations that don't go with what I already have... It would probably be sent to Good Will. It is the thought that counts, but I am moving this year, and I just have sooo many of the things above, I will probably end up ditching a lot of it when I move anyway.

I also do not need another scarf, but I would never get rid of one if I got it. :) Love them.

22. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 21, 2008

There are many things I don't need or particularly like, however, I love the thought behind them.

If after three months I cannot find a use for a gift, I donate it to our church foodbank or a local women's shelter.

23. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 21, 2008

I agree that this is just for fun. There will always be people in hospitals all alone, people who can't afford gifts. If we thought about them all the time then why would we ever get gifts for anyone?

I also agree that everyone at one time has gotten a gift they don't like. I still appreciate the thought but just don't like the gift. I remember every gift anyone has gotten me and I am a very lucky person to get any. That being said, I would not want bracelets. I have very small wrists and no bracelet has ever fit me.

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 21, 2008

What DON'T I want?

1) To Gain Any More Weight

2) To Still Be Sad About Losing my Fiance

3) To Stop Hating Myself When Everything Is Quiet

4) To Keep Having Dreams That I'm Back Together With My Fiance and Everything is Happy and Back to Normal

25. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 21, 2008

Good point!

I don't like people buying me clothes. I must look smaller than I am, because they are always one size smaller and a petite to boot. I always have to take them back and I hate shopping with a passion.

26. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

I agree, I don't like getting clothes for xmas either. I kinda like dressing myself =D

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 21, 2008

At least you look smaller and not bigger!:)

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 21, 2008

My family and boyfriend always pick out great things. However there is one person in my life who buys me clothes. I love clothes however the clothes she picks out are always too small and too juvenile. I have given up.

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 21, 2008

my grandmother gave me stick on nose jewels once...it was the funniest thing ever!!! not that I would want them again...but she always gives quirky gifts, and we get a kick over the funny stuff she finds

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

The only gift I don't want is the one that was purchased because somebody felt obligated to get it for me. If you're not getting me something because you truely want to, then don't bother.

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 21, 2008

See, I think that the the old "it's the thought that counts" is nice, but when someone doesn't really have the money, I'd rather they keep the money and use it on themselves than to try to buy me something that I really don't want or need. Or give that money to a charity or something. Or spend the money on my kids, or something...