Items to take to an interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by adria, Jul 10, 2006.

1. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

Hi, how are you doing? I have an interview for a third grade position, I would like to know what are the necessary items I should take with me to the interview.

As you can tell I am nervous....

so far this is my to take list....resume, portfolio, what else am I missing, I really would like to sell myself.

Thanks

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

copies of transcript and certifications never hurt

4. teachurite

teachurite Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I would suggest having enough copies of your resume readily on hand for a sizable group/panel. Also, make sure your portfolio is up to date and reflects pictures of you and stu. in multiple classroom contexts. With regards to attire, I would wear something professional, but comfortable and not TOO dressy, i.e. slacks and a nice sweater or blouse.

Finally, wear a friendly smile, listen carefully, and just BE YOURSELF!:)

Remember, there isn't always a "right" answer.....you're already a qualified candidate or you wouldn't have an interview. As you mentioned, you are really selling yourself as well as your ability to be a team member and work well with staff and parents. Don't forget, you're interviewing them too! ;)

Have fun! You'll do great!

5. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Alright. So I am pretty sure that the one of the main reasons I got hired 3 days after my interview (and why everyone else had to wait 2 weeks to hear about a job) is because of prepared I was for the interview. I took many things that BLEW the interview panel away.

First of all, I went to Wal-Mart and bought "Presentation Portfolios" (about 5). These are folders that contain 10 or 12 clear plastic sleeves all joined together with a clear plastic cover you can slide a professional cover sheet into. In the other clear sleeves, I put 4 letters of recommendation, 3 student teaching evaluations, a copy of my college diploma, a copy of my CBEST scores (a california test), A copy of my Credential, and my Resume. These were not in this order. Basically it is a bragging folder of accomplishment and qualifications for yourself.

The second thing was a fake brochure I created on my computer that I copied on color paper. I made this brochure as an example of something I would hand out on Open House night to parents. This brochure housed things such as a welcome message, contact information, discipline and behavior plans, the school schedule, my expectations, homework policy, etc, along with decorative clip art.
    This brochure was an example of classroom management.

The last thing I made was a mock example of a weekly newsletter I would send home each week if I was hired. This was called the "Ketchum Column" and it was kinda a syllabus for parents. On it I included announcement and news from the classroom, weekly homework assignments, and upcoming tests, as well as an inspirational quote and clip art. This was an example of communication between home and school.

Here is the bottom line. You want to give them things to be looking at so they are not just staring at you the entire time. It takes the pressure off. When they asked me questions such as "What is your idea of good classroom management?" I got up, and handed each interview person a copy of my brochure which explained my methods and would be handed out at Open House. Same for when they would ask about communication, I got up and handed out the Ketchum Column. The only thing I handed out before the interview started was the Presentation Portfolio because I knew they would need time to look through it. The panel of people where VERY impressed and after I was hired I had many compliments on how well the interview went. My only advice is to be confident even if you have to bull-****...sometimes you gotta go by the seat of your pants! Also...any time you can try to lighten up the situation with laughter, go for it. It seems high positive energy is also the key! Good luck!

6. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

wildcat82 - Let me just say WOW! You were so prepared! No wonder they hired you so fast. They were worried someone else would snap you up first!

I may have to steal the cute brochure and newsletter idea. I had similar ideas for a weekly newsletter but I never thought to make a mock one for the interview!

Congrats on your job too!

7. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

I like that....considering that my interview is tomorrow. I will do the brochure and news letter..

Thanks a million

8. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I also did the 'mini portfolio' things like wildcat and I feel that it really helped! Just make sure you have ENOUGH copies. You may even call ahead and ask the secretary how many people will be interviewing you. IMO, the secretary is always willing to help! :)

9. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 10, 2006

Just be careful with visual aids!! :-D When I was interviewing, I had my teacher ed portfolio with me, which was very thick. In it, I had a Soc Studies unit I had taught in fifth grade ST (Native Americans); one of the pockets contained a feather, something I had used as a story circle "retell" during one lesson.

Well, anyone, halfway through the interview, I opened the portfolio for something, and "feather stuff" starting floating! A couple of teachers were trying to figure it out, and when I noticed, I of course explained how I had used a feather and why it was in there. It absolutely broke everyone up, and being a humorous type (especially when I'm nervous), I made the most of it! Oh--and I got hired! :-D

10. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 10, 2006

The visuals are really good, but make sure you know your technology. Be sure you have example lessons that you did using technology, software you've used or know the names of.

11. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

you guys are great...please pray for me. The interview is schedule for 3 p.m.

12. azteach

azteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I have been on many interivew panels to interview potential candidates. We very rarely have time to look at anything they bring to the actual interview. We might give a polite "look over" to a thick portfolio, but it is only to be polite. My advice is to bring your resume and any transfer papers. We make our decision based on the answers to the questions. You are probably being scored. Make sure you research the district, school, and especially the grade level. Know the state standards! There have been a lot of people who can't answer the questions. They are interviewing for a second grade job, but they don't know what second grade students do in math, etc. Be prepared! Good luck!:D

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2006

I might be in the minority, but I say don't bring anything but the bare essentials. If they want to see somehting it is usually at a demo lesson anyway.

14. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 10, 2006

I think it all depends on the district as to what you bring...maybe you can find out from someone else who has already gone through the process there.

Although I shared that I took my teacher ed portfolio, in reality, they didn't ASK for it; I took it because I didn't know what to expect. I only opened it up when I answered a question relating to something in that portfolio (to let them know I had it). I too think that taking too much "stuff" looks a little overdone; I took the usual copies of resumes to distribute, and had available copies of references, transcript, etc. Mostly, they want to get to know you and how you think on your feet. They may be impressed with some of the stuff mentioned throughout, but I agree that they're probably just being polite and "allowing" a dog and pony show! Think essentials, and I am sure you will do a wonderful job. Good Luck!

15. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Good luck! I actually made a portfolio on CD, and handed that to the principal after the interview was over. It was a collection of pictures at my previous school, which was my fisrst year teaching. But, I agree, just know your standards! Brandi:)

16. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 10, 2006

I've been on several interview teams at my school, and I would say based on those (as well as the interviews I went through before I got hired), be prepared to tell what your literacy block would look like ... how you would teach reading and writing. There's usually a question about classroom management, as someone else said, and a question about how you would establish a good relationship with parents. It also impresses interviewers, I think, if you know a little bit about the school itself - maybe what its free lunch rate is, if applicable, whether there are ELL students and if so, what their primary language is. And be ready to tell what you think your strengths are. Good luck!

17. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 11, 2006

Hi, the interview is over yeppeee. I must admit that I surprised myself, I was very confident and it went well. The assistant principal told me that the principal is on vacation and she will be on Monday....I smiled and said greatand I will be looking forward in hearing from you. But deep down inside I said oh my God I have to wait until Monday. The A.P stated that she don't want me to wait long so she will contact the principal via phone and let me know the results. Because ofcourse I am not the only person who is she interviewed.

Oh, I took my portfolio but I only used it to show the A.P my cetification and test results...I shared the brochure with the A.P but that was brief. I think I did a great job of selling myself....
    continue to send positive vibes my way.

I am sorry I can't share any questions that was asked.....I forgot, I don't know why. I don't have short term memory..lol

Take care

18. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2006

I agree. I think they like to talk and too much presentation may be overwhelming.