Items for counseling office???

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Counz2BLiz, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 22, 2007

I know most are teachers here but there must be some counselors lurking around ... I am in need of some ideas for my office, what do I need besides kleenex? What do I need on my book shelf and desk besides basics like tape and pens type items? Even ideas for posters etc. This is for high school students, creative is good.

I greatly appreciate it!!!
    Liz

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2007

Motivational posters, comfy furniture, CD player, nice notepaper and envelopes for those students who want to write, some "stress balls" on your desk for students to fidget with.

4. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 27, 2007

Comfy and cozy is nice. Relaxing atmosphere is good. But no matter how nice your office is, the most important thing is what happens there, not how it looks. My daugher, a High School Junior, has a great counselor this year, and I am so thankful. He is approachable, available, kind, and he really listens to her. The fact that you are even thinking about how to set up your office to make it attractive to the students tells me that you care, and that is more important than the physical aspects of the room.

5. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

Thank you that is very sweet. I definitely want to be approachable and available; my goal is make a difference or some kind of positive impact no matter how small. As far a what for the office, I want the right books to be made available, maybe some chocolate, kleenex is a must of course the inspirational posters, maybe some stress balls, you know things to assist with conversation, cheer someone up or educate one on issues they may be facing... that is where I thought the books would come in handy. I know there are so many more but it is going to take some thought, so if you or anyone that reads this cares to add to my list I would love it. Hurray for your daughter having a great counselor it sure makes a difference.:)

6. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Good ideas, at least I will have the beginning of a list to start with. I am getting so excited I just want to start gathering the items I need so I won't have to do it later and I can focus in the students. Thank you for the response it is greatly appreciated. ;)

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 28, 2007

Chocolate is a great idea...it would work for me, anyway! How about some jelly beans in a cute, clear glass jar, for the non-chocoholics! What kind of books are you thinking of? Maybe you need a chair for you, too, so you don't have to always sit behind the desk.. maybe would make you seem less authoritarian (although you may need that authority, depending on the kid!). Pillows, lots of plants, sea shells, wind chimes, hmmm I am on a roll.

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 28, 2007

If you have a passion for something try to fix your office to reflect that. It allows others to see you as human and give them a starting point for getting to know you better or relate with you. The counselor at our school likes fish and has an under the ocean sort of theme. She didn’t feel like she could maintain a fish tank so she has a tank with fake fish!

9. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

What a great idea, Thank you! I will have to put some thought into this! Education is something I love, I know it sounds crazy but it may be crazy to the students. Lets see... I love photos, good photography, nothing like a collection that I could do like fish. I will have to look into it more. Again, it is a great idea!

Thank you...;)

10. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 28, 2007

You mentioned a book shelf...what about pamphlets or what ever from the local mental health department concerning issues teens face? Or maybe starting your own library of self help books geared towards teens...

11. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Excellent, I love the idea. Pamphlets are a good one! I would love to have a teen self help library, guess I better start shopping now, huh?;)

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

Books: Death "Beyond the Ridge" is one of best simple picture books I have ever read. Short and awesome. It is about an Indian women who dies. And it's ok to be different. Native American didn't bury the dead, but put them in a tree so their spirits could go to I forgot --grounds. This book was cheap came from Scholastic Books.

Books Swimmy = teamwork, Chrysanthemum= appreciate everyone, First Day Jitters = 1st day
    Try this website. It has a list of books for each character trait.

http://www.frsd.k12.nj.us/barleylibr...rEd/Chared.htm

I love this poem. There is also a simple picture book that about the same.
    A Box of Crayons
    By Shane DeRolf
    While walking in a toy store
    the day before today,
    I overheard a crayon box
    with many things to say.

"I don't like red!" said yellow.
    And green said, "Nor do I!"
    And no one here likes orange,
    but no one knows quite why."

"We are a box of crayons
    that really doesn't get along,"
    said blue to all the others
    "something here is wrong!"

Well, I bought that box of crayons
    and took it home with me
    and laid out all the crayons
    so the crayons could all see.

They watched me as I colored
    with red and blue and green
    and black and white and orange
    and every color in between.

They watched as green
    became the grass
    and blue became the sky.
    The yellow sun was shining bright
    on white clouds drifting by.

Colors changing as they touched,
    becoming something new.
    They watched me as I colored.
    They watched till I was through.

And when I'd finally finished,
    I began to walk away.
    And as I did the crayon box
    had something more to say...

"I do like red!" said the yellow
    and green said, "So do I!"
    "And blue you are terrific
    so high up in the sky."

"We are a box of crayons
    each of us unique,
    but when we get together
    the picture is complete."

NOW IF WE COULD JUST LEARN
    FROM THIS BOX OF CRAYONS
    THIS WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE

You might print poems on bookmarks to make them unique.

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

When a pet dies. You will need to be careful that the child is a Christian. Again you could make this into a bookmark.
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 28, 2007

Band-aids, hand lotion, pretty lamp, one of those electric water falls a small one, the sound of the water is awesome and soothing.

An artificial tree. About 5 foot tall and decorate it with mini clear Christmas lights. I saw them at Wal Mart for about 35 dollars.

An arrangement of colorful silk flowers. Tulips for spring, Poinsettes for Christmas and etc. Buy a bunch on a stem and put in a pretty vase. Change with the seasons.

Good real plants that are easy to grow and will make the room healthy are Philodendrom, Spider Plants, Wandering Jew, Phthes, Peace Lily

Some ideas for you to ponder.

15. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 29, 2007

You know, hescollin, having children's books is a great idea! You mentioned some really great ones! And I don't know why you could not have some really cool photographs on the wall, if photography is what you are into! Maybe it would be a jumping off point for discussions with a child who was not ready to talk about what was really on his mind.

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

I listed things that our counselor has in her office.

Be sure and put your name on the back cover of the books and card pockets with library cards in the pockets for check out. Keep the cards in a recipe box so you know who is reading the book (including teachers) You will need to remind some to return your books for others to use.

I like your candy jar idea.

17. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

May 1, 2007

Excellent Excellent! I am already shopping for those items and books for my library. I am so excited. These are all such great ideas. Thank you so much!:)

18. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

May 8, 2007

Someone posted a poem that goes with M&M's to give to all the teachers to introduce myself as a counselor. I can't find it anywhere. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would post it again. I have my M&M's ready but missing the little poem to accompany. Sorry for being a pain but I would love to get ahold of it again.

Thank you so much!!
    Liz;)

19. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 9, 2007

***** M&M Pills for Teachers
    Eat a brown M&M to temporarily calm your carving for chocolate
    Eat a red M&M at the first sign of meeting overload.
    Orange minimizes “Mental Block” during long range planning.
    Eat a Green M&M to calm your frustrations while arranging the room
    If you feel a head ache coming on while doing lesson plans eat a yellow M&M.
    Blue M&M’s reduces Bulletin Board fatigue.
    Directions: Take as needed. If all symptoms occur at the same time eat the whole bag. Warning: May cause weight gain.
    Some more goodie bag ideas….
    A penny for always listening to my thoughts, an elastic band for your arms stretching around me to give me a hug, a chocolate kiss for the obvious, a peanut for all the times we are “Nutty” and have fun together, a piece of juicy fruit gum because we stick together no matter what, dice for all the games we play together, a band-aid because you always make me feel better, a lifesaver because, a tooth pick because you always pick out my good points.

20. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

May 9, 2007

AHHH! Thank you, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to use them!! Thank you for getting back to me so greatly appreciated!!!!