It was nice meeting you, but...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

I'm done.

Last night was the last of the FOUR parent orientations I've attended in the past 2 weeks: one (thankfully) for me, and one for each of my 3 kids.

I'm toast. I'm tired of spending my evenings in desks, listening to teachers after a long day at work.

My kids need me at home. And I need to spend some time there. I need time to talk to my kids about their day, and to spend some time going over their homework. Maybe even reading all those papers I've been signing in the mornings as I head out the door. Giving them a kiss before bed.

I understand the value of the meetings, and wouldn't dream of missing them. But, at the same time, I'm tired of meeting people. At this particular point in my life, I'm content with the people I already know and have no burning desire to meet anyone else. I can't wait to get home tonight and NOT head off to anyone's school.

Yep, I'm done.

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 20, 2013

Out of 175 students, I had 14 parents come to "back to school" night last night. :p So.... skip. Everyone else is. ;)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

I only had one parent orientation to attend this year, but that was enough for me. Being at home after a long day of work is the only place I want to be! Glad that you don't have any more to go to....this year!

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 20, 2013

This is true. ;P

And at least it is now over, and you only have to do it once a year!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

I would never choose not to attend.

If there's a conflict at home or at work, then my hands are tied.

But at the very least, I want to send the message that my kids have parents who are concerned about their education. (And, yes, each period there was a sign in sheet.)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 20, 2013

I am so glad that my youngest is a Senior! I attended my last Open House last week.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2013

If we are talking about BTS night, I also hate those but as a teacher, not as a parent.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

While I dreaded back to school nights when my daughters were in high school (mostly because I kept getting lost!), I always went so I would have a better understanding of what the girls were talking about when they referred to their teachers. Their teachers also had a parent sign-in sheet, which I had no trouble with, until I heard that one of the teachers gave extra credit if a parent showed. I had to make a phone call about that; so unfair to some students (although most of the classes were standing room only by the time everyone got there).

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2013

I like going to them; it's important to at least have an impression of the people who are such a big part of my kids' lives.

But it's been 4 in 2 weeks, in addition to my own start of the year meeting and planning (and, by the way, a kitchen that's still under construction.) Enough already. I'm glad it's done for this year.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 22, 2013

I hear ya, Alice! While I don't have orientations, I had a school board meeting Thursday night, did a guest speaking gig at a college on Friday night, had a school fundraiser this morning and am back at school tomorrow (Sunday) for a Fall Sweep cleaning day with parent volunteers. Then it's PTA on Monday night. Erik works/commutes until 8:30pm, so I have to find a sitter for our 14 month old on the late nights. Luckily these stings of meetings don't happen often. They are exhausting!

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2013

I really like Open House, but boy, is it exhausting! We have really awesome attendance, so I'm meeting somewhere around 300 people in one hour (student, moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, aunties, siblings).

For example: at the end of this year's Open House, the last mom and two kids walk into my room. I introduce myself, and the mom starts laughing at me... because she worked with my mom, I have known her for about 20 years, and I had literally seen her the week before when she was my recovery nurse.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

Our Open House is coming up on Thursday. We're expecting far more parents (particularly of the older students) because we are in a new building and I know that families are eager to see it.

14. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

I'm a bit startled by this post. No one is forcing you to go to Back to School Night. If you feel it is of less a value than staying home with your kids, then do so.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

I did four nights in two weeks, at a time when we were trying to establish routines for the start of a new school year. (Oh, and by the way, the 2 I did that firs week were on days when the heat index hovered at the 100 degree mark. And, no, our schools don't have AC.)

I was venting because the start of the new school is exhausting to begin with, and having 4 evenings out of the house makes it moreso.

As I mentioned in my first post, "I understand the value of the meetings, and wouldn't dream of missing them."

But it is tiring doing that many nights away from home this early in the school year. It was a vent, nothing more.