it really isn't you!!! (read my story...)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by merigold78, Aug 26, 2007.

1. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

hey guys! i know many of you are probably starting to get down on yourselves about not having a job (or in my case, a better job) for this next year. i wanted to post a few things that have happened to me recently...hopefully this will make you feel a little better. i think many of us just have to understand that so much of the job search process is out of our control. so here goes...

many of you already know my story so i'll give everyone else the short version! :) i graduated 4 years ago, have taught in several diff. schools (mainly charters, head start for 1 yr)....but cannot find the job i really want. every year i crank out the applications/resumes-and am lucky if i get 1 or 2 interviews. i don't know why, but i always end up being the first runner up. i am told that i interview well and am usually "beat" by someone w/(specific) grade level experience. i think this is crap.

so this summer it was the usual. i had 3 interviews (2 in the same district)....and was the first runner up for a k position. i was so mad and discouraged when i found out i didn't get it-i know i could have done the job, and done it well!!

anyhoo, this past week i attended a meeting for my current sch. i received not only a bonus check for my outstanding test scores, but also the 'teacher of the year' award!! i was so excited about all of this...it re-affirmed the fact that i not only love what i do-i'm also really good at it! it also left me feeling sorry for all the public sch. that missed out on hiring a great teacher like me.

so chin up everyone! i cannot honestly say that all public sch. are hiring the wrong people...but i know that some definitely are. i hope that myself and all the other AMAZING teachers out there will soon find jobs w/districts that are worthy of such skilled employees. have a great school year, everyone!!

-meri

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

Sometimes you end up whee you are supposed to be even if you didn't realize it at first!

Congrats on the recognition.

:up:

4. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 26, 2007

Wow, congratulations!!!! It is awesome that you are being recognized for your good work!
    Thanks for the uplifting message too. It is so difficult to keep your self-esteem up in the face of so much rejection. Your post really helps.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2007

That is awesome! Just knowing that you are appreciated to that degree should help get you through those tough times when you think about the rejections. Can you tell I've had my share of rejections? BTW one of the reasons I got my current job is because of an award I got while a LTS. Congrats!

6. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

WOW. Congrats! And the other districts' loss, not yours!! YAAYY YOU!! And i agree with czacza, you end up where you're supposed to be. May take you an alternate route or so, and def some bumps and turbulence, but you get there. Congrats on getting there and perservering through the adversity. I definitely will keep my head up.

7. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

That's wonderful, Meri! It sounds like you've done a great job and I am sure the right doors will open when they need to. Your recognition does affirm that you are a great teacher and will well where you are at. Way to go!

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

thank you to everyone for your (very) positive comments! i hope that my story illustrates to a lot of teachers that even if you're awesome :) at teaching, it can still be difficult to find a good job. i do consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, though, b/c i actually have a school to go to everyday. granted it's not the one i want-but it's a job, and i'm definitely utilizing my skills. i just hope that each and everyone of us finds what we're looking for...though i'm sure it won't happen on our timeline-ha-ha! let's all just keep our heads up in the meantime and be thankful for what we do have.

-meri

9. Freebird

Freebird Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Congratulations! :2up:

And you'll be able to mention that award if you choose to search again next year!

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

Congrats Meri!
    Thanks for helping us to stay positive

11. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

yea i agree with freebird, that will DEF look good on your resume!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

Meri

Yes!!!!!!!! I think you may have found your niche right where you are! I know, I know, a better school would be nice, but you have what these kids need. You are making a difference and you are being recognized for it.

I am so happy for you..... hugs:love:

13. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 27, 2007

miss frizzle-my principal said (basically) the same thing to me last week! he also mentioned that any joe-schmo :) can teach in the 'burbs....but you really challenge yourself (and your skills) working in a school like ours. anyhoo, thank you to everyone for your kind words and support! have a great week!!

-meri

14. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

My story is similar in that so many schools passed me up because someone had more experience, blah, blah, blah. I, too, was the runner up at 3 of the 4 schools I interviewed at. As I was sending out resumes to districts for sub positions I got a call from my alma mater (a school district I thought I could never get into because I had heard how hard it was to get in) saying they saw my resume on their website from when I had posted earlier in the year and wanted to interview me (along with 5 other people). I interviewed, rocked the interview and when the principal saw my resume packet he asked me to meet with him and gave me the job the minute I walked into his office! He asked me how they got so lucky near the end of August and told me that now with me on board plus the other new hires, he could honestly say they had one of the best science departments in the state. I don't know if he was just trying to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about working there, but it worked!

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

Congrats Boston

16. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

What a positive attitude on life! No need to tell others my stories, but I'm going to keep on moving foward and make my dream come true to get my own class. :up: