IT PAYS!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by #1 Mrs. H, Aug 6, 2007.

1. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 6, 2007

To hand deliver! Well, I will admit that I was hand delivering all of mine, and sometimes never even seeing a principal. Just when I was contemplating mailing (a last minut job posting and a very busy day), I thought I'd better just hand deliver b/c I just had a feeling. The Middle School was under construction, so I chose to read a little about that and in the process I saw that the principal had a temp office in the high school. When I finally hunted him down, he was so impressed! He actually to me to his cubicle and talked to me for 20 minutes. He said he'd received 45 by 10:30 that morning, but I was the only one to hand deliver. He guaranteed me an interview for next week. So, that convinced me that it is worth it.
    When I called the following day to thank him for his time, he knew right who I was when I said my name!

In the application packet that I deliver I include cover letter, resume w/ref, transcripts, and letters of rec on one side. On the other side I have a technology packet (colr examples of the types of tech I'm familiar with) this is always a huge hit! I sandwich that inside my prochure that has my pic on the front, and make it so you can see the pic when the folder is closed.

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Mrs. H,

How awesome!!! He knows you already went the extra mile for the job. It sounds like you've already impressed him. I bet you knock him out of the water during your interview!! Good luck!

4. curious

curious Companion

Aug 6, 2007

What a way to work it! Good luck on your interview. And thanks for the tips!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2007

Good luck! This could be THE ONE!!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

Good luck! Thats kind of what I did for my first job, and I got it! My fingers are crossed for you:)

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

If that doesn't make a great first impression, I don't know what will. Good luck! Is the interview scheduled or was he going to contact you later?

8. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 7, 2007

He said I'd get a call at the end of this week to set it up for next week b/c the posting is actually open until the 15th. He said he has to wait until then to interview. He also said things would move rather quickly with the interview process b/c they need to have a candidate by the 20th, when they do some computer training.

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

That's awesome! Way to follow your instinct. Good luck!:2up:

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

Ok....
    See in our area (Chicago suburbs) everything is ONLINE...And there are HUGE warnings when you are finished..which say (though in a nicer way) there are TOO many of you. Don't CALL! Don't Come In!

I would LOVE to personalize further than the cover letter within the on-line application process, which who knows if they even READ it!

I DID e-mail one principal on top of the on-line application. He was one that I did my observations under less than a year ago, and he and the teacher gave me GREAT ratings (at the time). AND my cooperating teacher (his favorite in the building) said that he would give him a call and slip my name in.

Results...never heard a WORD! And then the job was filled.

Did I step over my bounds? i don't know. I am to a point of questioning EVERYTHING I do. I seem to be wearing kryptonite!!!!

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

That's exciting!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I've seen a lot of that too here in CA. BUT, for this one job I applied to, a part time one, a week later I noticed that they still havent' viewed the application (you can see the status on edjoin), so I emailed the HR person that I had applied and that I was very interested in working there. I had actually worked there a few years ago. She remembered my name and then asked if I would be interested in a full time position! Nothing is finalized and it may take a while to hear back from them, BUT, it does pay to get your name out! Even if it's just an email.

Good luck.

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

What happened with the job?

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 25, 2008

I agree with McKennaL about the online stuff. I was going in person only to be pretty much brushed by everyone!!! I have lots of attachments on my online app now but be sure that you are following district protocol.