It is late and the naughty side of me appears...:)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 10, 2019

It's probably best not to use names on this post. Who was your worst teacher and why?
    Mine was my kindergarten teacher. I already knew how to read fairly well and she insisted we do a phonics book with mice on it. That book was around for many years.
    That is not what made her such a bad teacher. Almost everyday she started class with , "Alright , boys and girls! Today I have a headache." She would say it in a monotone voice like that male teacher in Ferris Buellar's (SP?)Day Off.
    Often she'd tell us we could have free play if we were very quiet. I was always so excited because I really wanted to play in a kid's kitchen area.
    Then within a very short time, I am betting minutes, the boys or someone would make noise which made her headache worse.
    She'd say, " No! This is not going to work. We are going to have nap time." We'd have to pull out some old straw mats and lay still and quiet. I never fell asleep because my parents believed kids should be in bed by 7 pm.
    So most of my kindergarten year was spent laying still on a straw mat. Right before it was time to go home, she'd let us get up and have a graham cracker. We never had recess because kindergarten had been put in an annex of a HS. Then we walked to the bus.
    I found out when I was a teen that she was an alcoholic. No wonder she had headaches in the morning!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 10, 2019

I had one math teacher who paid zero attention to anyone not on the softball team. He gave out work, then sat at his desk and talked. The class was awful. There were over 40 of us in there, and about a month into school they opened up another section and asked for volunteers to switch. I went immediately.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 10, 2019

You got lucky! That would not be fun! :) We had about 40 kids in our classes too when I grew up. I have a super common 1st name for my age and there were 4 other girls in that class that shared the same 1st name with me.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2019

My worst and my best are the same teacher. LOL She is one of the reasons why I became a teacher. She read to us everyday after lunch. We would have our heads down. Those books she read to us became a mainstay in my children's reading library when I had kids. I think she might have only ever read three to us. That's all I remember. The Ghost of Windy Hill, The Trumpet of the Swan and Jonathon Livingston Seagull. The first two I LOVED the third not so much. But then she also made me cry in front of the whole class about a math paper I failed. From 3rd grade on I HATED math. Even now I hate teaching it. She has passed away now but I often think of her flaming red hair, big turquoise rings she would hit us with and those books!!!!!

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 22, 2019

I too had a best/worst teacher. She was a high school English teacher. If you're old like me and remember the lady professor from Legally Blonde, this was her clone. She was strict, no-nonsense, nearly impossible to please... and yet we all found ourselves begging and striving for her approval. Loved her by the end of year.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2019

My "worst" teacher is also part of why I became a teacher. I moved schools in 8th grade due to divorce, and I was incredibly shy and anxious. I was in advanced math at my old school, and my teacher at the new school had a different regional accent from what I was used to. She was talking about "whice of one" and "whice of two," and I finally worked up the courage to ask what "whice" meant. She couldn't explain herself, and just kept repeating it louder and louder, and I was horribly embarrassed. I ended up dropping down to a lower math class, and even gave up my hopes of becoming a vet because I believed I was bad at math.

Years later, I realized she was saying "y sub one"...

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 22, 2019

I grew up 5 miles away from the south. I remember spelling wash: warsh in 2nd grade. My teacher was nice, but she kept asking me why I put an "r" in "warsh." :)
    Oh, I hate people like that! If you don't understand them, they talk louder. It is a bummer she had such a bad impact on you. I guess it is a good reminder to all of us to watch our words/tones.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 22, 2019

That is interesting 2 of you would have the same best and worst. What made you all struggle for her approval?

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 22, 2019

Did she really hit you with her rings? Dang! I thought my school was strict. Teachers could hit you w/ rulers, paddles, or just about anything else they felt like using. I just never saw a teacher knock someone upside the head! It is so hard for me to fathom the best was the worst. Maybe because I had 1 really good teacher. Oh, I never got whacked, but saw others who did often. 1 teacher would smack your knuckles if your cursive was not at a perfect angle. I had the most gorgeous handwriting in those days! Like art!

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 23, 2019

We had to write essays and stories.

She liked to comment with a red pen. Comment in detail.

We wanted those comments. It was like a drug.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 23, 2019

That is too funny! Were the red comments compliments? What was so special about her? I am not seeing it.....lol

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 23, 2019

There were both compliments and helpful criticisms.

She pushed people to do their best.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 23, 2019

That is a good quality. Now I get it. lol At 1st she wasn't seeming too good to me. :)

15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 24, 2019

In undergrad, I had a teacher from India. His stench matched his personality. He wore sweaters all year and probably bathed once a week. Mondays were fine. By Friday he smelled like a walking armpit. He was my programming teacher (BASIC). I had to pass with a "C" because it was required in my major. His accent, condescending tone, poor spelling and writing, doomed so many of us. My assignments (programs) failed because I spelled words (code) like he wrote it. He was unapproachable too. Nobody could hold their breath long enough to survive extra help. I got a D.
    Several of us went to the dean and complained. I heard that complaints had been stacking up. He only stayed one year. I got to retake the course at a community college in the summer. With a better teacher, I got an A.

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 24, 2019

Not bathing for a week would be bad. It is interesting that you had a very similar experience to me w/ a programming course. 1 had to take 1 back in the day when computer science was new. Schools did not have them and we were the 1st group of teachers who were required to take it to graduate. I memorized the book, aced the papers, and tests, but in order to pass you had to make a program ( like a game for kids- Oregon Trail was the only example we had.)
    I spent so much time and effort, but could not get my program to run. Profs were not as helpful as some can be nowadays, so I got 0 help. Even with all A's on assignments and tests, I flunked that class. ( I usually had A's w/ an occasional B in school.) I did not even bother showing up for the final because even w/ an A, it wouldn't have made me pass, and I had a huge family emergency I flew to w/out bothering to even call.
    My main problem was I never learned to type correctly. If you did not space something right, it did not run.
    I had to retake it w/ the same teacher, the next yr. She introduced herself and smugly said, "If anyone thinks this class is going to be easy, look around." 1/4 of the class was back. Only that yr, there was a friend of mine whose husband had been killed in a plane crash. He was the pilot and she got a large settlement. She was the only 1 who actually went out and bought a computer. People did not have computers in their homes then. She knew how to type correctly and played around with it until she understood it. I wrote my program out and fixed it all semester, but STILL could not get it to run. Before they were due, she looked at mine and "helped" me fix it so the program ran correctly. If it hadn't been for her, I'd have never graduated!
    I hated computers for 15-20 yrs years after that. We had computer science teachers where I worked and we never had to use computers. Thank goodness before everything switched to computers, a friend gave me 1, hooked it up in my house, and told me to just "play with it." I am so thankful for that too. If he hadn't done that, I would not have stayed employable. The more I think about it, that was the worst class I ever had too.

17. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2019

I wouldn't say I struggled for her approval. She just did things that stood out as things I remember her for. The reading every day and then making me cry over a math paper in front of everyone. I hated math from that day forward. I didn't hate her which is funny because most kids would have turned on her.

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2019

Yes and she wore them on every finger but the thumbs. it hurt when you got smacked. I only ever remember one time getting smacked on top of the head for tapping my fingers on the desk while we were supposed to be resting.

19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 25, 2019

You gave up your dream of becoming a vet and dropped to a remedial math class because of a single incident where your teacher raised her voice at you? I don’t understand.

How would that negatively affect your math ability? I’ve had teachers talk down to me before and I responded in kind and showed them they were actually wrong and/or didn’t know what they were talking about.

I think it is an absolute shame that this one teacher made you make such a drastic decision...

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2019

I had one teacher for anthropology in college who spoke in an utter monotone the entire time. I dropped it after one class.

Before that, I had a teacher who made my life awful during third grade. She tended to yell and browbeat, and her method of drilling mathematics was surprise drill, where she'd go around the classroom and call out problems and a kid's name, and they'd have to answer with the right answer right away. It was intimidating. I also found out, far later, that she'd been going through a divorce that year and though it was torture at the time apparently she was remembered me fondly as a student. And given the divorce, though it doesn't make anything easier, I at least understand a bit why she seemed so chaotic at the time.

21. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 28, 2019

OMGoodness!!! That is crazy! What years did she do that? Nowadays, that would be viral on you tube! ;) When I 1st started teaching, I heard about teachers who "pulled kids ears." I had never heard f it before either.

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Nov 28, 2019

Yeah, sometimes knowing why helps us put a perspective on it too. 3rd grade is such an awesome age, it is too bad though she was like that!