It is better to be rejected after an interview than not to be noticed at all

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach_in_stride, Aug 6, 2009.

1. teach_in_stride

teach_in_stride New Member

Aug 6, 2009

Trust me on that.

I am at my lowest because after a one-year teaching contract two years ago, I was left without a job last year. Having to return as an assistant made me so hungry to become an elementary teacher again that I worked tirelessly on my Master's and professional development the last 12 months. I spent the entire summer keeping my spirits up and being diligent in responding to openings. I applied to dozens and dozens of school districts, doing research on each of them and writing custom letters to each. After all my persistence and hard work for what seemed an eternity, I wasn't even warranted the courtesy of an interview by a single administrator.

While being rejected after an interview may hurt, there is no worse feeling than knowing you are not good enough to sit at a table and have administrators and educators listen to what you have to share. It is demoralizing. You feel powerless and worthless, and the only source of strength that keeps you going is the belief in yourself, but only that lasts so long when the rest of the teaching world (not friends and family) ignores you. At least when you make it to the table and don't get hired, you *were* good enough for administrators to notice you and that you have the opportunity to critique yourself and ask for constructive criticism.

I do not know what to do. I have no equity to my name, and my education debts keep piling up even when I spend as much as a hobo. I am not getting any younger. My mind keeps screaming to get out of teaching and find a living wage job, but my heart tells me to foolishly hold on to the dream. Albert Einstein once said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." This is what will haunt me everyday the next 12 months if I remain a teacher's assistant. No matter what skills or credentials I add to my Master's, it wasn't good enough then to be noticed by dozens of districts so why would I be good enough now in the eyes of an administrator? I frequently had nightmares about going nowhere in life, having debt I cannot pay off, and not being able to teach; and now I feel they will only escalate because I am no better off than I was one year prior. I have no idea how I can sustain what little morale I have left and shake off the demons another 365 days.

Yes, I know reading this would turn the happiest person into complete shambles, but I had to get this pointless rambling off my chest. :sorry:

3. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

:hugs:

It it SO frustrating to spend all your time applying to districts and then not get any response at all. It makes the whole process so dehumanizing.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

I feel the same. I'm with you.

I wrote a little while back about feeling like a wannabe in a room full of Do-ers! I can tell the time is getting closer...and it kills me that i am praying and holding out that I will be winning this job that pays 15,500 (an assistant). but what if I DON'T??? I wasn't even good enough for 15,500? To be a grunt worker??? In a job that may or very well may NOT be a stepping stone???

I could go on about how I feel for SO MUCH of what you wrote... I'm sorry for your situation...and for mine as well.

TRY (if possible) to keep your chin up.

I tell you... I keep thinking of the book Who moved my cheese? have you heard of it? read it? It's a VERY VERY short read...but a really important book for each of us who may find ourselves WITHOUT this fall.

Take a look at it!

And... :hugs:

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

Teach in Stride...You took the words right out of my mouth. I sincerely hope that all of us on this forum get the teaching job that we so desperately have been seeking. I see how much everyone is trying to do all they can to succeed. I hope it happens soon. HUGS!

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

I completely feel your pain. I, too, am frustrated and sad about most likely not having a job this school year. Many schools around me start next week and my hope is fading. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but just know that you are not alone in this nightmare.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I know it is hard, but try to remember that not getting an interview doesn't mean you aren't worth their time! When there are piles of resumes and applications, it can be ANYTHING that gets their attention. Say a P is picking 10 out from 300 who all look good on paper to interview: 2 pop out because they went to the same state school as the P, another pops because they won awards in a sport the P was into, 2 more used the exact buzz words the P likes, etc etc.

You just never know. All you can do is keep your resumes and letters polished up and critiqued and work the system the best you can. Just as lots of people who probably should not have been hired get jobs, even more who should have get overlooked.

My part-time student job got hundreds and hundreds of apps (it was a REALLY cushy job). Nobody wanted to actually read all of them, so they picked the last people who applied, people who they liked who just walked in, or they yanked out random apps and check availabilities. We had some total losers working there, which seemed absurd given the 3 foot tall app pile (we measured).

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

And Molly... I can't tell you how OFTEN I saw this very thing this last year!

I subbed in this district that i wasn't hired by...but i ...

ok...this one day, i'm subbing for a instructional aide. I'm in and out of different clasrooms all day. And I go to this one room. They are reviewing for the state standardized tests...and this teacher is slapping the board SHOUTING concepts at this class of low and ell students who are so dazed and confused. NOTHING was getting through-yet she was sure that if she shouted it a little louder or slapped the board (displaying a graphic organizer) that they would get it.

The next room...the teacher had NO control over these kids. They were running around, joking, tipping over chairs, sitting on desks, singing, etc. And she is telling me that they just don't seem motivated to DO the lesson right now. Well...what are they supposed to be doing????? Writing. WHAT?????

Thing is ... both of these were first year teachers. I LOST OUT to these two gems! And I wanted to beat my head against the wall.

I interviewed a few times for this district this summer as well... never got to the second interview. And when they ask...can you tell us anything that would help us to understand that you are the one for the job? I feel like saying... "Because i have SEEN the Bozos you have hired here...and I could teach CIRCLES around them! On a BAD day!!"

Edited for typos... sheeesh.. that's what i get for staying up until 3 am

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

Yeah, it is depressing and mystifying. Some people can just really talk a good game though. Can be hard to compete with.

I had the biggest twit of a supervisor in my part-time job. Yet somehow she got hired over all the others.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

This is not in any way meant to be a criticism; I'm not even saying it is valid to any of you, just something I have observed of people I personally know.

How many of us doubted that MsBee would have a job? Any of us? She is so obviously enthusiastic and excited, and that freshness is very compelling to people. It can be easy to lose that with increasing jadedness during a job search. I have seen this with my dad even. I think this is a hard to quantify thing, but it can come through somehow even on fill-in-the blank applications.

Is there a way to regain some of that freshness and optimism?

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

...bills mount
    ...your kids watch
    ...you feel isolated
    ...friends in education are getting jobs around you
    ...you try to say all the right things - you prepare - you don't even get an interview
    ...you smile when friends ask about the job hunt
    ...your heart breaks when you think about doing something else

freshness - optimism... It's tough. But you are right. I never doubted for one moment that MsBee would get the job. I doubted myself when I was looking though... And then, I got LUCKY. And I am starting to think that LUCK had a lot to do with landing a job. I feel especially lucky today.

I could be right there with you. And it is NOT fair that a good teacher like YOU is out there subbing and SHOWING that you are good, and then, SEEING the "quality" that a school decides to choose over you. Maybe next time, you SHOULD say...

Why should I be hired? As a substitute teacher I have had an opportunity to walk in many classes. I have seen good teaching, great teaching, and some classes that needed help. I have proven myself effective in being able to teach cold when there are no plans, and even then, the children are well behaved and excited when I am substitute teaching. I have also had an opportunity to see classes (never admit it was their school) where the teacher allowed the children to be out of control, where the strategies used for preparing the children for testing was less than beneficial to the student, and the voice level of the teacher was loud and scary for the children. Since I have had an opportunity to see the great and the not so great, I know the kind of teacher I would be for your school. I just need the chance to show you what a valuable choice you have made. Please give me that opportunity.

Be straightforward and win the next job and put all the other STUFF out of your head. You cannot control the past, but you CAN control the MOMENT when you are interviewing. All you can do is your best, and showing your personality, style, and love of teaching is what will ultimately WIN you the next job interview. I hope this helps someone. :rolleyes:

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

I totally hear you on the rejection without an interview. It's been the story of my life since my nonrenewal. I'm probably getting about a 10% response rate for all the positions that I've applied for. I despise checking my email because it pretty much everyday has a rejection lately. It's so hard to not let that enter your daily life.

I hate subbing and going into classrooms seeing "the gems" hired instead of me makes it even more dehumanizing. People that have absolutely no clue or skills but just happen to have the same last names of other people.

13. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

To make you feel better, I'm in the SAME BOAT! And yet today, I got another rejection letter - THIS IS THE SECOND ONE FROM THE SAME SCHOOL FOR THE SAME POSITION!!!! EEEK! They felt they had to make sure I was dead?

I've been working as a teaching assistant for the past five years, while earning my Masters. I'm lucky to still have a job next year, but it's getting tiresome when my co-workers ask, "Any luck yet?" Well DUH, would I still be here?????

I'm sick of all the old cliches, good things will come to those who wait. I'm not young, I'm in my 40's. I'll hopefully have a good 20 years so I can retire comfortably. I have 5 more years till my first child goes to college - no college savings eekk! Plus I have two more after that. Plus, I have my student loan I'm paying off - on a TA's salary.

My family hasn't taken a vacation in almost 7 years! So that's another thing - I'll be in the faculty lounge, hearing about everyone's wonderful summer - going here, going there.

I don't know - too late for me to switch careers. I'll pray for everyone here that we all get a job!