It has to be better!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Jun 18, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 18, 2008

I'm really wishing I had never ever taken this job!! I've been here two years and it just keeps getting worse! When I started I was excited for the opportunity to help change a school with a not so great reputation...now I'm beat down, broken, lied to, and just want to leave!! :( No one wants to change...they are too stubborn to get help when needed/offered!

I found out for sure today that the other K teacher is being involuntarily transferred to 3 year old preschool. She has helped me out so much in the last two years...we have not only become close collegues, but close friends!! We have only been told that things in the K program need to "change"...but we aren't being told why! Any time we ask, we get mixed reasons. How can we change something we don't know about!! Everyone is lying (we have caught many of them) and we can't get a straight answer from anyone. Supposedly we needed TOO much help this year. We asked for additional inservice training for our lit. series and then our AEA person came in to help us start small groups! We have been making all kinds of changes and even had a plan of action for next year! But they don't care!! Apparently we are not supposed to ask for or receive help if we need it...it looks bad and makes us look weak!!! I thought a good teacher asks for help when needed so they can become a better teacher.

It's all really shady and I could go on forever about the details...but I won't! There are all kinds of rumors flying around about us and our K program and there is no way for us to fix the damage that has been done!! All I know is I can't take being lied to and I want out badly!! It has to be better then this...I don't care where I teach or what grade...I just want out of this school!!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 18, 2008

Go! You can't work at a school you don't respect. I entered a similar situation this past year, and quit in Feb. Your mental and emotional health are too important. I received an e-mail from the principal at this past school this morning, and I've felt sick to my stomach all day just after seeing his name. When a school does that to you, you MUST leave.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2008

Given the situation you describe, it might be in your best interest to go ahead and leave. There's no shame in determining that a particular job isn't suitable for you.

How easy is it to transfer in-district? Have you begun that process?

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

I agree...Go! Start applying other schools now! Don't let this place tear apart your love for educating. You are right about asking for help...any good teacher continues to learn and adapt and change...you should be commended for wanting better and then they won't even explain what they feel the problem is??? Good luck!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2008

As others have stated, you need to get out of this situation. No teacher should be put into a place that wears down on them like you've described. I wish you luck!

7. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

Your health and sanity are much more important than any job you have. You'll find something else that will keep you sane and healthy.

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

Have you already signed a contract with your school or are you able to leave? As already mentioned, your health and sanity are much more important than putting up with all of this for another year, so if you can leave, than I say go for it. Keep us posted :)

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2008

Sorry you're in the situation--- sounds like a huge pain to have to go to this type of job. I wish there was a way for you to find ways to help fix this problem instead of walking away, but if you don't get the support you need, it doesn't matter how much effort you put in, it won't make a difference. Which is a huge huge shame. :(

10. educator

educator Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

GO!

I can give you two pretty good reasons to just get out.

1. Your sanity

2. Your self respect - (Your ability to be proud of what you are doing with your life)

If you aren't at least relatively sane, and if you don't feel good about what you are doing, you are of little value to the students you teach.

If you find a school you like and an administration that knows how to run a school you can focus on teaching the children. In your current situation, you are in survival mode, and it will be the children who suffer.

11. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

Thank you everyone!! Your support is greatly appreciated!!

Before all of this really hit the fan I did sign my contract (we sign early). Bad choice now!! :( I am supposedly able to get out if I pay $1500 AND they can find a suitable replacement. However, rumor has it that our superintendent isn't going to be too nice about this process...so who knows!

On a more positive note...I do have a good lead on a preschool job in a much bigger district! They just recieved a preschool grant from the state of Iowa so they are going to be hiring 10+ preschool teachers! It's not my first choice job...but I'll take anything right now! The jobs were supposed to be posted already...but with the recent flooding their administrative building is underwater! :unsure: I will hopefully know more next week!

Thank you again!!

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

$1500? Wow! Do you have that kind of money to get out of your contract?

13. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

I have part of it. That's most of my monthly paycheck from the district!!! :eek: