It has been one of those weeks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by workingwithkids, Oct 6, 2016.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Oct 6, 2016

I am so glad I have a three day weekend coming up because this week has been brutal.

I spent all day Saturday and Sunday grading papers and working on homework for my graduate program.

Monday, my students had I-station testing which they hate and don't take seriously. One of my 6th grade students told several students that she had a bag of a controlled substance so the administration and police had to get involved and now the student will spend the rest of the semester at the alternative campus because it really was a controlled substance. To top it off I got an email from a mom telling me to change her kids grade on a test because she (the mom) had typed it up and had forgotten to include something on the rubric. After school while a lot of the students were walking home, a man wearing a clown mask chased kids with a bat.

Tuesday, I went to my assistant principal about the email from mom (this is the third time she has wanted me to change her son's grade) and he said that he would talk to me about it later after talking to my ALT. One of the students started a rumor that we would be going into lockdown on Wednesday because our school was the next target for the clowns so a lot of the students were scared to come to school.

Wednesday, I was handed a bunch of forms that I need to fill out by Friday for all of my inclusion students. I don't have a conference on Wednesday and it is only 30 minutes on Thursday which means I have a lot of work tonight.

Today, I asked my ALT what I was supposed to tell the mom about the grade change and she said that I could give the kid back 2 points (he lost 5 total points). As I am walking to the office the assistant principal asked if I had a few minutes. We go into his office and he calls the mom and tells her that after talking to the alt, we would be giving her son back partial points since it was on the rough draft and she got really mad. My assistant principal told me not to reply to mom if she emails and let him handle it. A couple of hours later, she sends a very lengthy email about how I shouldn't have went to the assistant principal in the first place and he shouldn't have went to the alt.

Tomorrow my student have to take a 50 question vocabulary test that I have to read aloud to a majority of my students due to accommodations. To end the week, we have a fire drill in the morning and a severe weather drill in the afternoon.

Hopefully, next week will be better.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 6, 2016

Oh geez. That does sound like an awful week.

The clowns that are terrorizing our country right now are an unnecessary and annoying issue. Also, I never thought I'd use a sentence like that. Our community has been affected as well.

What is an ALT?

I hope next week is better!

4. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for your reply. An ALT is an academic lead teacher. In my district, their job is to support classroom teachers with all academic issues. They are liasions between the classroom teachers and the administrative staff.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 9, 2016

I have had those weeks before. I am so sorry you are going through this. Rest up this weekend.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 9, 2016

That was a crazy week.
    I think clowns are to scared to come to our school, our kids would beat them up (high school, alternative ed). They do talk about it though, because we hear rumors that clowns are supposed to go to the other 2 high schools, I've heard about middle schools, etc.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 9, 2016

Is there a legitimate reason this mom is typing her kid's stuff?

8. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Oct 9, 2016

Thanks for everyone's replies. The assignment did not need to be typed as long as it was neat. I had a few kids type it and draw their picture on the typed sheet and a lot of others handwrote it. The first email that mom sent (on Tuesday) stated that she typed up his paper because she was a faster typer. The second email (on Thursday) that she emailed to the assistant principal and cc'd me on stated that she typed it up to make it easier on me. The part that really saddens me is that the student is very smart and very well behaved. The student does not have any accommodations so there really wasn't a reason for mom to type it except that she didn't want her student to make a mistake on it. I feel that mom puts a tremenous amount of pressure on him and one day it will become too much for him to handle. I think that the part that frustrates me the most is that mom believes that the child should get to redo assignments for full credit anytime that he doesn't score a 100.