It has been brought to my attention...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 10, 2012

That I appear to be trying to do too many things at once.

I am known as a very enthusiastic teacher, and I've been so excited to teach this year, that I may be driving kids up the wall with my expectations.

This year, in addition to perfecting my classroom management, I also made it my goal to increase rigor greatly, enforce organization, teach the nature of science, engaging students with a love of science, introducing the real-life aspects of science, and skills relating to investigation, as well as note-taking skills and other study skills.

I really am doing too much, and so far, some of my periods have excelled, and then others are kind of lost, and it has left me kind of lost.

I really need to figure out what I want to focus on this year. When you were starting out, what did you focus on?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

Well, for starters, let me catch you on that "perfecting classroom managment" thing.

You're a first year teacher. It isn't going to happen. It's the lofty goat to which we all aspire. But we all know that on any particular day, any particular kid could have a meltdown. Those of us who have been at this a while are at the point where those meltdowns are few and far between; I haven't given a detention in 2 years. But that doesn't mean I won't give one tomorrow.

So cut yourself some slack on that. "Improving" is where you want to go.

That's got to be a high priority, since if they can't hear you , they can't learn.

A close second in my book would be content knowledge. If you can hold their attention and teach them science, you will have done your job.

All the other stuff is nice, but extra.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 10, 2012

I focused on getting through the day. :)

Focus on teaching the standards to the best of your ability without working excessive hours. You don't have to do the socratic seminars or the fancy labs this year. Figure out a rhythm that most class periods can fall into - it makes planning easier when you know you need a warm-up, some notes, and a reinforcement activity for most days of the week. Figure out your lab procedures, and do about 1 lab per week. You should be aiming for "good enough", not "perfect".

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 10, 2012

Organization should also be a big priority this year. Start developing your own systems for organizing all the paper we have to handle as well as your electronic and on-paper resources. As time goes on, you will modify your systems.

It's perfectly fine to do all the fun things you are trying in your first year, as long as you are staying at an appropriate pace and covering the standards. How else will you figure out what works and what doesn't? Keep ALL the lessons you write/plan this year. When it's over, make notes on the plan about what you want to modify for next year, or just toss it if it was a total flop lesson.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

My first year (and so far my second year) was about learning from my mistakes. I plan the best I can and when something goes to hell I make sure to figure out a better way to do it next time. One of my favorite things about teaching is that I want to be better tomorrow than I was today. Don't set yourself a million trillion unreachable goals. Figure out how to get through the week. At least, I'm still at that step! :)

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

I know this is a typo, but it really made me smile.

[​IMG]

(PS I don't even know if this is a goat, but it gets my point across, I hope.) :lol:

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2012

:lol:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

He's so cute! He looks like the Naval Academy mascot, Bill the Goat.:love:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 10, 2012

That's a lofty goat if I've ever seen one! :rofl:

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try to condense things down a bit and get into a good pattern. That's what I've been lacking I think.

11. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 10, 2012

Don't burn yourself out doing too much. The first year, just try to survive. The rest will come with time.