It happened AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I was moved from a 3/4, to a 2/3, and then a 1/2... NOW I have a straight FIRST GRADE class.... I opted for this. I figured since I was being moved down, I might as well take this class. It has lots of siblings so I know the families- however, I have never taught this age before! I also figured it was better because then the person who usually has 2/3 can keep her class, instead of EVERYONE shifting. We have had some enrollment issues and lost a teacher so a bunch of people moved around.

Wish me luck! I'd love any tips!

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2008

Hmm. Well, to start, literacy is going to be a whole lot different. Yet they still are into journaling, and you can certainly have wonderful centers with them that always keep their interest. I do wish you the very best.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

You're a brave, brave woman! I could never handle those little ones!

5. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I used to teach 1st and 4th grade for a while and I hated first grade. You have to do too much for them, and I hated singing everything, from days of the week, to months of the year, we sang it every day! But I'm also a guy, and i think things like that female are just better than male; I think those young first graders need a motherly role rather than a disciplinary role. When I taught 4, I liked it much better because I could be more of a teacher rather than a care taker. I'm now teaching 8th grade algebra (single subject), and the kids aren't the same as my elementary kids; they don't show appreciation as much. The older they are, they less appreciation they show towards you it seems.

6. LUV2TEACH!

LUV2TEACH! Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

In the past three years of teaching, I have had a 2/3, 4/5, and 1/2. Personally, I would LOVE to have a straight first grade class! Teaching a combo class can get overwhelming at times (especially if you don't have enough support from a TA). Good luck...wishing you the best with the little ones!:2up:

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

I taught 2nd grade for a semester than I went to 1st. When I started teaching 1st, I hated it because they were kindergarteners rather than 1st graders. I was determined if a
    2nd grade class would become available I would take it. One of my friends told me to give 1st grade the first nine weeks. Well, I did and by the end of the year, I was in love with 1st grade. We did have a 2nd grade class become available (twice), but I did not ask to move. 1st grade is wonderful and it is amazing to see how those little minds grow in nine months.

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

First grade is fun, but I will admit it can be VERY challenging - especially at the beginning of the year. At the beginning they often need a lot of help with a lot of things. But, I love it because we see such growth in them by the end of the year!! My first year teaching, my mentor (who was AWESOME and still a very big help) told me "Model, model, model - and if you think you modeled enough, do it again!" :lol: It's true. Teach procedures for everything. They LOVE routine.

You'll be great in first grade.
    And there is lots of help on here. :)

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

You will love first!!!! I think I am a first grader for life!!!! Even though it is challenging and you will come home exhausted, especially at the beginning of the year, but grading papers is a breeze. I would never want to grade papers in the upper grades. Takes to much time. I can grade a days worth of papers in minutes, but then again I don't use many worksheets at all!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I obviously have no idea what you look like, irx7fani, but I do have a funny picture of you in my head, sitting on the floor with the kids, rolling your eyes while you do a finger game with the days of the week.

Ah, the things we amuse ourselves with... :woot:

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Mailbox

You will a great first grade teacher. It might be helpful if you bought the BIG First Grade Mailbox book that is full of first grade ideas and activities.

12. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

i have been everywhere in a very short time...3rd, 6th, 1st, 1/2 split and now back to 1st. 1st is by far my favorite....like someone else said the first nine weeks are an adjustment...they are like kinders and are getting used to going full day (our district just has 1/2 day kinder) but after that they take off and run. i think 1st graders show the most growth of any grade. and you will get so many hugs and smiles and love notes:)

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for all your tips and pointers everyone.

I spend the day looking over the math and language curriculum. I set up my calendar area, job chart, assistant of the day board, sign in board and went to Lakeshore! I got three primary phonics/reading games, some write on word family cards and the word wall set.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

There are tons more than 7!! I looked and they have tons of alphabet books, phonics books and then some in the intermediate and advanced sections too... awesome resource!

The books are so pretty I will want to use colored ink! (I don't want to waste it) but I might for these books!

Thanks so much!

16. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

Good luck on your new endeavor... hopefully there will be no more changes for you.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

At least not for this year! Next year I will probably be bumped back to fourth!!

18. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Good luck! You might like first! I do. It is challenging, but so can any other grade be. There is a lot they cannot do for themselves when you compare them to 4th grade but don't underestimate what they can do. Don't do too much for them. For example--I do not tie shoes!! They must find a "shoe expert" to do it for them. I don't take whining or crying! (unless they are really hurt) If you are firm but loving you will do well in first! Good luck! :)