It bothers me when teachers make up nicknames...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

More often than not, I think that the kids, not the teachers, are the ones who are selecting their own nicknames.

My hoosband is named Wolfgang*. There were like 4 other Wolfgangs* in his first-grade class. He told his teacher, apparently out of the blue, that he wanted to be called by his middle name, Zane*, instead. From that point forward, everyone, including his family, called him Zane. His parents were a bit taken aback by his choice, but they figured that he could decide what he wanted to be called.

I call students whatever they tell me to call them. One of my students, Caillou*, told me that he wanted to be called JP* instead. No one else called him that, but whatevs. It wasn't an offensive nickname or anything, so what I did I care? Names are special, and if you tell me that you want to be called Huckleberry instead of Thomas, you have a right to that, I think.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Oh, and I have what I think is a very easy, straightforward first name. (It is a shortened version of a longer name.) The problem is that people often mispronounce it because they evidently don't understand the rules of phonics. The mispronounced name happens to also be a legit name, spelled differently from my name. Although I didn't go to school with anyone else who had my same name, there were 3 other people (two boys and a girl) who had the other name. I was often in classes with at least two of those kids, usually with all three, and my teachers always seemed to think that all four of us had the same name. I was constantly getting called by that other name. Eventually I just told my teachers that I wanted to go by the longer version of my name. I didn't really, but it was better than constantly being called by the wrong name.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2014

Caesar, I'm guilty of that sometimes. I had two "Joseph's" in my class this year. One wanted to go by Joseph and the other by Joe, but they both wrote Joseph on their papers. I ended up calling them both Joseph, otherwise I found I messed it up too much. I did let them know though and they were okay with it.

My eight kids with the same name all have varying nicknames. It's going to take some work keeping them straight.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

At least Joe's given name was Joseph, though, like both Joe and Joseph are his "real" name. In my case, it would be like my name being Jay but my teachers keep calling me Joe because Jay sort of sounds like Joe and because there are three other Joes in the class.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 13, 2014

Yeah that's definitely way off. I know some teachers use last names. Most day it's a respect thing but in think a couple are because of these issues :lol:

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 13, 2014

I've never done that. I don't know of any teachers I work with that have done that either. I've had students with the same name and I just look at them when I am saying the name.

7. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Three years ago I had Hailey, Haileigh, Aiden, Adyn, Jazzmin, Jasmine, Bryce, and Brice. I also had a Jaylee, Kaylee, Bryton, and Tryton. It was a Dr. Seuss book every morning at roll call. I just called them their name and hoped the correct one looked up. lol Just kidding, we used last initials.

Edited for name story: The same year I had a little boy during his 3rd year in our school. He had went by his name for all three years. By this point it was even in the computer system as his name. His parents came into PTC irate because that WAS NOT HIS NAME! He had been going by a totally random name for three years. It was his second year of first grade. How did his parents not notice he was bringing home papers with someone else's name on them? Again....three years.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2014

I'm one of those people who has a first name that is typically shortened. I go by the full version of my name. We moved when I was in middle school and one of my teachers shortened my name. I hated it, but wouldn't speak up. So I went by the shortened version all through middle school and high school. Went to college & immediately went back to my full name. My professors either asked or didn't try to shorten it. People who don't know me will automatically try to shorten my name. I no longer respond to it.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 13, 2014

I have never heard of a teacher that just gave them a nickname, as a parent I would be upset (neither of my children has a name that can really be shortened either).

My family and friends growing up called me Tasha and I always went by the longer version of my name at school. My friend from college and teacher friends call me by my longer name and high school friends and family call me Tasha.

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 13, 2014

Gosh, I have a bad habit of doing that, to my own children and my students. I drive my oldest son Adam crazy because I call him "Ad" (<---seriously), and Jacob gets called "Jake" (he always gets mad, stomps his foot and says "JACOB!"), and Aaron, he gets called "Airy," he will be one on Friday, so he responds to both Aaron and Airy and doesn't object---yet.

As for my students, I usually call them by their first name. I had one student last year whose name is "Ashleigh," and I caught myself calling her "Ash" all the time. I don't know why, I had another girl "Ashley" and I never called her Ash. I had two Michael's too, one of them I always called by his last name. He liked it though, he had one of those aggressive, defensive personalities and if he didn't like it--he would've let me know for sure! Actually, he probably would've been upset with me if I called him Michael instead of his last name--even the other students were calling him by his last name by the end of the year.

I try not to abbreviate or nickname students unless they clearly want to be called that, but I think it's inbuilt in human nature to take shortcuts, and abbreviating names is no different. If you aren't sensitive to it, it takes a lot of willpower not to cheat and call them a nickname, at least for me it is.

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

I honestly just think certain names need to be banned. FOREVER. Lol.

Jaiden, Jayden, Aiden, Haiden, Braiden, Kaidyn, Kaiden, Zaiden, etc Madison, Madysin... lord help us all. I don't know who got all that started! Probably the same people who popularized Michael to death.

I have a zillion Sophia's and Bella's coming up. I'm thinking of just assigning everyone new names. Piper, Taystee, Larry, Olivia Benson, Greg House, Cersei, Joffrey etc. That way I can remember!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

I vote for renaming all students after OITNB characters. Who gets Poussey? :lol:
    Be careful of the Piper wishes though. I have 4 friends with a Piper between the ages of 1 and 3. They are coming! (I've loved the name since I discovered Piper Perabo in Coyote Ugly. But it is getting too popular for my taste.)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2014

And once the OITNB characters are taken, continue with the GOT characters!! Who wants to be Jon Snow? :lol:

giraffe~I love the name Piper

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2014

I teach grade 3. Being with the same students for 7 hours a day leads to a connected community feel. So kids call themselves and each other what feels comfortable for each student...so Nichoas might be Nick, Madeline might be Maddy...never a nickname the student doesn't like or feel comfortable with. There are also quite a number of Asian students in my district. Some of these students will have both an 'at home' Asian name and an 'American' name. In the case of multiple same named students in my class, I'll ask the what name each wants to be called.
    Bottom line, it's important to honor student preferences, culture and family tradition. Pronouncing student names incorrectly or making up names for teacher ease (A-lyssa versus E-lissa) is IMO lazy and disrespectful.:2cents:

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2014

I'm partial to Crazy Eyes :lol:

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2014

Me too!! I go by the rule that you call someone the name they use to introduce themselves. Even if I write my name down in full, people say the shortened version. It drives me crazy!

At my current school I student taught at it before I was hired. My cooperating teacher introduced me to everyone with my shortened name and it has stuck. Slowly my colleagues have noticed that I always use and write my full name and more are starting to call me by my full name.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2014

I don't think I could take it if one of my students was named Joffrey :eek:

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 14, 2014

We just named our new kitten Varys. It seemed appropriate, given what will happen to him in a couple months.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2014

:lol:

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2014

It took me a minute to remember who that character was but then I figured it out lol

21. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

Hahaha! Poussey and Joffrey would definitely be my class pets! :) :lol:

22. TishaTeacher

TishaTeacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

I agree with you about making up nicknames that they student and their family don't agree with. I usually just use last initials.

Though I am not sure what to do this year. I have three Ivans and two of them have the same last initial.

23. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

I had two sets of kids with the same name in my room last year. I called them either by first name, last initial or first name, last name (and it was pretty random which I did at any given point). Sometimes I would forget and wonder why there was a delayed response or the kids would say "which one?" haha. If it was obvious who I was talking to (I was near them or they were only person with that name in the small group for example) I would just use their first name.

24. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

This is a great thread! I am usually very sensitive to what students want to be called. However recently, some students want me to call them nicknames, but I love their full name. Examples- Anastasia wants to be called Ana, Madeline wants to be called Maddy, Joseph wants to be called Joey. Sophia wants to be called Soph. When this is the case, I ask the students if they minded if I called them by their full name. Most say yes, but now I'm thinking they might be uncomfortable saying no?

Students with hyphenated names are tricky. Some only go by the first part, others by the whole name. Like, Jalen-Ashleigh, or Monica-Rose.

Hawaiian name are almost always shortened--without issue. Kamakawiwoole would be Kamaka. Lehua'aina would be Lehua.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 15, 2014

Imagine if the student was blonde to top it off.

26. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 16, 2014

Yes! My husband's name is James - not Jim or Jimmy! I understand what you mean. I have a Charles this year and that is what he wants to be called - not Charlie. :)

On the topic of children's names from A Song of Ice and Fire I read an article that the names from the books/show are becoming very popular for baby names!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.