Issues with Christmas program

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by puff5655, Dec 2, 2010.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Dec 2, 2010

I'm looking for advice from those who have done this for years...

We will be doing this poem:

See the snowflakes falling
    See the candles glow
    See the presents on the tree
    It's Christmas Time I know

Then we will be singing We Wish you a Merry Christmas,
    with the verses:
    Let's all do a little clapping (3x) and spread Xmas cheer,
    Let's all do a little jumping,
    Let's all do a little waving (3x) ...

Questions:

I have one loudmouth kid who had been leading the group, but now she's getting bored, and quieter, and the singing has become pretty inaudible. Any ideas on how to get them into it again?

Suggestions for props (and how to make them) that won't be too distracting?

Thanks!

Sarah

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 3, 2010

Can you do them on CD and let the kids sing along? Inevitably, when you ask kids to sing for their parents or whateve,r they suddenly forget all the words... I had to do a program liek this 2 years, and although they were cute, the kids never *did* what we knew they had practiced... singing along to a CD makes it less initimidating.

For props... for your first one, could you make large snowflakes, candles, presents, and give each kid one of them... they hold it up when it says their "word?"

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 3, 2010

...or give a copy of the words to the audience and have them sing along.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Dec 4, 2010

I doubt I could find these on cd, but the suggested props are great and I like the idea of copying the words into the program for the audience to sing along will work too, thanks!

I taught prek for a year a couple years ago and they did what you said- when they practiced they were great but in front of the audience they were dead silent! It was embarrassing for us teachers!! :p

I'm in a new school and the veteran teachers here have told me the kids are as shy here, but we'll see!! I hate this sort of stuff!

6. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Dec 5, 2010

When we are doing "We wish you a Merry Christmas", I tell the kids to pretend they are rockets and going up to the moon. Then they use swing their hands upwards when they get to the "Wish" part of "We wish you a Merry Christmas". They find it a lot of fun. Sometimes we lie on the ground and do the same verse during circle time just to make it more fun. I think any song that the kids find fun and relaxing, they will do.

7. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I would just practice less and send the words home with the parents. I decided to do my program in January because I didnt want to spend time practicing songs with them like they are trained monkeys. They dont like it and either do I. If it is filled with pressure then I dont want to do it. They are children and if they are going to get nervous being put on a stage in front of strangers then I dont blame them. Half the time my teachers dont want to get up there either! I dont know about you but I dont teach at a performing arts school so if come the big night they dont sing very loud then such is life. I have really learned to not conform to the pressure and stress us all out. It isnt worth it.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

I agree. I am a pre-k teacher and my attitude this year is . .it is what it is. The children have been doing a great job and they usually pull it together, but to take some of the pressure off I have the songs on CD and I added movements and motions to them (did this yesterday and the concert is Friday!) and I figure if they don't sing they'll at least look cute and that's all the parents really care about anyway! We are doing 2 poems and 3 songs. We are doing a poem I wrote called Starry Night (a long time ago on a starry night, a baby boy was born and wow what a sight. There were angels and shepherds, even wise men came. Who was this baby boy? Jesus was his name!) and a poem about the colors of Christmas. Then we are singing a song the kids love to dance to from Vacation Bible School called "Saviour of the World" and Silent Night. We are singing silent night the first time and then signing it the second time. the kids really like doing the signs. then we are ending with Holly Jolly Christmas and I added dancing and antics to it today so they are enjoying that one too. If nothing else the parents will love the motions and antics and be impressed with the signing, so it's all good!

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 7, 2010

Also, it is helpful if you relax!! I've not done preschool productions, but others of older grades, and they sense your stress.

Can you video the kids singing in practice and let them sing with themselves? (If you know what I mean....show the video and then if they absolutely don't sing, you still have them singing...)