ISO ideas for "world project"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Jan 29, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012

Looking for some craft or other ideas for class project of the earth.
    for example- continents, oceans, world in general. I don't really know what to do with it. We were assigned for a whole school project.
    They only thing I came up with was a paper mache globe.
    I would appreciate any ideas. They are 4 and 5 years old.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2012

We have done the paper mache earths with balloons which turned out great but are a lot of work as you need several layers.

I taped butcher paper together to make it wider and cut out a huge circle and we put it outside with blue and green paint and, after looking at satellite pictures they sponge painted it. Turned out great and they like cooperative projects.

In the old days, we used to make topographical mountains on cardboard from a type of clay and then paint them.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2012

You can also take large boards and tilt them to watch the water run down them and then place rocks in various places to see how water is diverted by them, or pushes the smaller ones down.

What about simply painting rocks?

Using rocks as the marbles for marble painting?

Dirt playdough using either sand or coffee grounds.

Put drops of blue and green food coloring in balls of white playdough and when the kids knead it the colors look like a globe.

Maps - study them, draw one of the school or your neighborhood, use them to cut up for collages, ?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

How about getting a giant map of the world, and putting a thumbtack into the place where each of their grandparents was born? You can introduce the idea of family history.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

Could you have the students bring in different objects that would go into the trash and talk about recycling or reusing some objects?

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 29, 2012

While talking about the globe and "other people" we often have free art of dripping blue and green onto a coffee filter.

We talk about the globe a lot, so my kids have an understanding of it. I would say pick some grandparents and write classroom postcards to them....mail....Valentines' Day....it would all fit together.

8. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jan 29, 2012

Not super DAP but last year I had a class obsessed with maps so I borrowed a little from Montessori and colored coded a world map and had copies for the children to copy. I did this in small group with all the children who wanted to make one and taught the song:

Tell Me The Continents
    Tell Me The Continents
    Tell Me If You Can,
    North America,
    South America,
    Africa, Europe, Asia
    Don't Forget Australia!
    Don't Forget Antarctica!
    Tell Me The Continents
    Tell Me The Continents
    Tell Me If You Can!

They would point to the continents as they named each one. They really loved the song and knowing "big kid" content

We also spent a few days talking about the people who live in different countries on each continent. We made chopstick paintings and had fortune cookies for Asia. We celebrated St. Patrick's Day (the leprechaun messed up our classroom and left us Lucky Charms to graph) and we had Italian ice for Europe. For South America we watched Dora clips, made Fiesta hats, and learned some Spanish from a parent, we ate tortilla chips with salsa. We Australia we made kangaroos and had a Hop Party. For Africa we learned how to weave and talked about Safari animals, I believe we ate African fruit? For Antarctica we studied penguins and polar bears and froze all the water in our water table.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

Polar bears live in the Arctic, not Antarctica.:sorry:

10. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jan 29, 2012

Ooops!:blush:

Thanks!

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 29, 2012

Raynepoe....our classroom does stuff like that often....they LOVE maps. In my opinion (and I am no expert) if you class is interested...and you are letting them drive the intrest..it is close to DAP.

I hope anyway.

12. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 31, 2012

Thanks. I can use some of those ideas. I should have explained myself better. It is for a "fair", like a science fair. Each grade was assigned a country, except we were assigned the world. So we need to make some sort of presentation with a board, food, craft, etc. There were some good ideas here, thank you.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 31, 2012

I would say to keep the DAP working in your favor if your board was an exploration of the fact that there ARE other places to live and other houses to live in and other climates to live in that would be a good starting off point.

Then when the children's interest begins to land, and it should, choose the country they are most interested in and try to create an easy food from the export list or something.