Isn't this nice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GCKAY, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GCKAY

GCKAY Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Hi everyone:)

My last post is asking for advice so now I'd like to share a nice story. I'm a high school guidance counselor. A girl who is going to be a senior next fall came into my office last Friday and asked to switch her elective next year. (The students are allowed to pick their electives, they usually choose around March-April). I asked her why she wanted to switch and she said she didn't want to be in that particular teacher's class. When I asked her why she told me it was because the teacher has always been so nice to her (her older sister is trying (not famous or anything as of now) to be an actress and her dad is away a lot driving her to auditions here and there and her younger brother is ill and her mom is always spending her energy on him). Her parents are good parents (they especially taught their kids to value education) but she's left alone a lot. The teacher gave her the attention she knew she wasn't getting at home. She also wrote her various recommendations. The reason she wanted to switch out are all of her other academic classes are accelerated ones and she knew she would need a no-brainer easy class and she would never feel right handing in effortless work to a teacher she cares about and respects so much. In our school you need the teacher's signature to switch a student out of the class once they're placed in. I told the teacher and the teacher told me she wants the girl to reconsider because the teacher just wants to take care of her next year, to be her easy class because she knows the girl works so hard and she's very fond of her. I thought this was just the sweetest thing...from both sides.

When I told my husband he thought it was hilarious that I was condoning the girl wanting to be lazy and the teacher picking favorites. I know everything in this situation isn't 'right' but what can I say...I'm a sap!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2009

I am impressed that this girl is conscientious enough about her work and has enough integrity to do this. I hope she reconsiders and stays with the other teacher, though. Maybe appeal to her integrity by convincing her that it will benefit her more to be in the presence of some top kids in an accelerated class, then to get an easy grade in another class.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

Actually, I wish more kids were wise enough to choose what to focus their energies on and not burn out trying to do ALL accelerated classes. Kids should have time for some fun too.

5. GCKAY

GCKAY Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Hey all- I updated on my last post so I figured I'd update here too....this is about two weeks late but...

I called the girl down before homeroom but she was persistent she wouldn't stay in the class so I had the teacher come down and the teacher convinced her to stay--well I'm glad if I couldn't, she could! haha...

The girl was reluctant at first saying she couldn't handle another hard class especially during her senior year but the teacher told her this class was an elective and not like her past AP class she had with the teacher and it wouldn't be hard for her at all. She was still a little hestitant saying she still wouldn't want to hand in effortless work to that particular teacher because she was her favorite teacher. The teacher told her she'd really like her to stay in the class as it will be the girl's senior year and her last chance to be with the teacher. And then she refused to sign to give her permission to let the girl switch out LOL. Well--that did it! It put a big smile on the girl's face and she agreed and they hugged and it worked out.