Isn't this ironic?...Just wanted to share this story with other teachers.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lanabanana, Jan 7, 2009.

1. lanabanana

lanabanana New Member

Jan 7, 2009

I'm in my fourth year of teaching but I switched to a new high school this year (this past September). My younger cousin graduated from this high school in '07. I became good friends with another teacher who works here. We were talking at lunch one day before break and I mentioned my younger cousin who graduated and the teacher said, "Oh, I know her she was one of my favorites. Please tell her I said hello." I saw my cousin on Christmas and when I told her she told me that was her favorite teacher, the best teacher she ever had. The funny part is my cousin is a very smart kid. She's a 19 year old college sophomore now. In high school she got As in every single class she took except for one B and one C+. Funnily enough the B came from first marking period in that teacher's class and the C+ from the second marking period. It was her first AP class during her sophomore year of high school and she was struggling. She said she finally decided to go to this teacher for help (she didn't want to at first out of embarrassment of needing help) and she got an A- the third marking period and fourth she got an A and an A on the final. The teacher ended up writing her NHS recommendation and her college recommendations. I just found it so ironic that she always got As in elementary and middle school, got As in every single one of her classes in high school except for the one B and the one C+ and that those two grades were from the teacher she considers her favorite! My cousin claims that had the teacher not been so hard on her/the class she wouldn't have done as well in the following years in high school and now in college (again getting all As) where her classes are harder. My birthday was on Sunday and I had a few family and friends over my house and that included my cousin and the teacher. When they saw each other the teacher just held out her arms and my cousin ran to her and hugged her. They spent about a half hour just talking to each other about things both school related and not school related. I just think it's funny that it turned out that a kid who always makes As loves the only teacher who didn't give her all As! :lol:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2009

(smiling)

I'm not surprised at all.

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jan 8, 2009

I love this story because I always feel like maybe the kids like their other teachers more than me, because most kids make lower in my class than in their other classes. Reason one, I teach math...enough said. Reason two, I expect a lot out of them. Thanks for the encouraging story!

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jan 8, 2009

I think this story drives home the point that kids thrive on boundaries and high expectations. Remember, the teacher didn't "give" your cousin those grades... your cousin "earned" those grades. The teacher pushed you cousin to do her best.

I've rarely heard of a kid in elementary school making much less than a 92 in anything. I see that with my own children and their friends. And, I saw that as a middle school teacher - parents would constantly complain b/c their child "NEVER" made lower than a 92 and in my class - where I had high expectations - kids received the grade that they earned. I had kids who couldn't write a complete sentence or who couldn't spell that great and yet their report card reflected an A average.

6. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 8, 2009

I guess the grades given don't make the teacher after all. My absolute FAVORITE teacher of all time was my philosophy professor. I worked really hard and only managed a C in his class, but I learned so much. He was so excited about philosophy and made me excited too.

the guys used to make connections between Socrates and the Simpsons and it would make complete sense. like I said AMAZING professor.

7. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jan 8, 2009

love love love it!!! so many people (NOT in my classes or fellow staff) think I give easy A's but I don't. I rarely give As. My students work HARD for it and they do even better when they seek extra support.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

Great story, thanks for sharing. Proves that we really thrive on challenges and hard work, it makes us better.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

I wish more parents would read this story!

You hit the nail on the head, TxS! When you try to hold younger students to higher standards, parents step in and start complaining that the work is too hard and you're not being fair. They don't seem to care that their child isn't even using capitals or periods-they just want the A.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 9, 2009

Oh, this could have been written by me!
    I believe that all the parents care about is an A. As if it ever really matters in life. I have very high expectations for my students, and I am the most unpopular 5th grade teacher in my building. Parents complain I am too tough-yet their children do not know multiplication facts, how to capitalize and use a period, or that our northern border in Ohio is a Great Lake! Yikes. So much coddling, and yet, when they are adults, and have a job, they will not get an A for a great day at work.
    I really hate the grading system. I believe we should have a checklist with essential skills listed. We simply check off it the child has mastered the skill or not. At best. the next year's teacher will know what their in for! :)

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

This is a nice story, my favorite teacher was my biology teacher who was very tough, but I promised you that I learned a lot in her class. She stills have a special place in my heart and I took that class almost 30 yrs ago.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

The "easy" teachers get the short term accolades.

The ones who set the bar higher get the long term respect.

I'll take door number two.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

:) :) One of my favorite professors from my masters was a hard a** ;) I managed to get an A, but worked harder and felt more proud about that A than any other I have ever earned. So much so that I took more classes with her!!

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

My standards seem to me very reasonable (homework in on time and completed, capital letters, periods, correct spelling, show all your work, etc.) but I always get at least one parent every year complaining that I expect way to much of these children. I just remember my dad when they get that way--when one of us (my siblings or I) was punished and got angry, he'd always say "I'm doing a good job as long as somebody hates me."

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2009

Funny story:

In addition to my Freshman Algebra classes, I also have 3 periods a week of SAT prep with the Juniors. Every other day, they have SAT-- twice a cycle Verbal, then once a cycle Math with me.

After September's surgery, though, the administration took my SAT classes away from me. I was working with a new teacher, and the sub who had covered my classes for a month kept my SAT classes.

After Christmas, I picked them up-- so basically I was the "new teacher" coming in. I've never taught the members of this year's Junior class. So far, I've had each of the 3 groups once since Christmas. I gave them the explanation of what was happening, told them they have 10 classes with me before the SAT, and dove right into work. All 3 classes were good as gold.

The teacher who has one of the same groups for Verbal was teaching them the other day. She reminded them that Tuesday would be math, not verbal. One of the chattier boys reacted with "oh,oh."

Ruth, of course, asked what the problem was. His response was this: "That Mrs. A is TOUGH!!!! But I guess it's OK-- at least we'll know our stuff for the SATs."

It made my day!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 17, 2009

That IS a day-maker, Alice!

17. lanabanana

lanabanana New Member

Jan 18, 2009

That's a great story too Aliceacc! :) I always feel like sometimes I get too lenient. I always told myself it's because I was new/young, etc. But now into my fourth year of teaching and at 28 I'm making a commitment to myself to be better and only accept the best! The teacher I was talking about in my previous story is only 29 (and recently just turned 29!) and was only about 25-26 when my cousin was in her class! Things like this inspire me to be a better teacher.