Isn't it too early in the year to be pushing the rules?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Learner4Life, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 9, 2008

This is just a vent BTW but HOLY COW the kids are pushing it. Food outside during recess, cell phones, boundaries being crossed, rules being questioned, FIGHTING!
    AND I had another teacher over rule me today on something that I strictly enforce (boy did I set her straight) AND the principal over ruled ANY swing rules (he told the kids they can no longer get in trouble for things they do on the swings... HELLO IDIOT).

Somedays I just want to go home and take a nap... or bring a flask with me to work :woot::dizzy::woot::whistle:

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

Now is the time to set the rules and be the most strict with them! I took a book away from a kid today along with sending a whole group of them back to the classroom door for being too noisy in the hall....teach them now......

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 9, 2008

I guess the honeymoon phase it over and they are testing you - I have some that are doing that and I set them straight fast. I'm not going to have some rowdy group this year.

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 9, 2008

I have mine practicing hallway behavior at recess--how to walk in a line without talking. You would think that by 4th grade, it wouldn't be an issue. What is the deal with kids lately?

6. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

We've been practicing end of the day procedures during our recess time also. Despite this, they still are talking during dismissal. I had to laugh today because it's getting ridiculous. I mean I'm standing maybe 2 feet from you and you think I don't see you talking or think I'll let it go? Oh no. I don't know what you did last year or at your last school, but that is not cutting it.

I have two kids who, despite the class being completely quiet and orderly (during the recess practice that is), STILL don't get their homework copied into their agenda books.

And recess is 15 minutes long!!!! And they can't get their homework copied?! Now imagine me trying to get them to do actual work, but that's a whole other vent.

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 9, 2008

My problem is that my recess is close to the end of the day. We have to do SS/S after recess. By the time we get in, they are just loopy. I can't change my recess time, becuase children leave for services during the ss/s time. I have no leverage at the end of the day. I talk louder the last 45 minutes of the day than I do all day long. Apparently, they think that not talking during the announcements is just a suggestion. :(

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

I feel like I could have write the above posts. I am not sure if it is just my class particularly but they are pushing the limit already. I have been more strict than ever but there are a few students who just cannot follow directions or the class expectations during a given time. I am going to start taking away fun time (recess) and make them walk laps.

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

I'm with you all! I feel like I have been a drill sargeant with my 1st graders lately! Sometimes I feel bad and try to remember that they are only 6 and 7..but then I realize that if I let them get away with things now, they'll think they can do it later. I think the problem with mine is that A-my class last year was total opposite..very good kids that LISTENED! and B- some of these kids are babied so much by their parents..which drives me nuts. We have some of the most over protecting parents in our school..and in the end all they're doing is hurting the kids.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

I still have to deal with this in 5th grade. They get louder as they get older. Sixth, seventh, and eighth graders are REALLY LOUD.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

Now is the time to push the rules, if you don't push them now you will lose them for the rest of the year.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 13, 2008

Mine were beginning to test my resolve last week. Every group is different. Some start testing the teachers right away, others will toe the line most of the year without too much trouble. I think there is never a moment that could be considered "too early" for this exact reason. I had one boy a few years ago that started testing me on day 2 (as soon as he knew what I would be expecting.)

13. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Enforce those rules now or you will regret it later on....Trust me! Call them out when they don't follow the rules/procedues, follow through with the consequence, write a note home, adn if need be call home. We have phone access in our classroom and if I have a major behavior (reoccuring usually) problem going on I put the kid on the phone and tlet them tell mom or dad (who is 90% of the time at work) what they were doing. 9 times out of 10 all you need to do it hold up the phone and say, "you can't follow the rules, you've had consequences, so now who would you like me to call a work mom or dad?"

Also, good for you for talking to that other teacher! Another teacher doesn't have the right to step in if you are dealing with the situation. Now, if you are not dealing with the situation then by all means taht teacher is in the right to displicine and correct your students (i do it all the time when I see students trying to get away with stuff and their teacher is not there (usually during lunch or outdoor P.E.)

14. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Same thing for me. Mine were fine the first two weeks of school, but this week some students really starting pushing the boundaries. Most are getting it and realizing they aren't going to get away with it. I still have a few who want to still play this game, which is fine with me because I will win it, no matter what!!
    :lol: