Isabel

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Margo, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 18, 2003

I hope everyone is staying safe as Isabel makes her trek across land. My family is in Maryland and Virginia and I am keeping a watchful eye on the storm. I know all us Floridians are breathing a sigh as we were spared this time.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2003

florida gal

whew:)

4. suejulene

suejulene Rookie

Sep 21, 2003

Hurricane Isabel

Power is still out for over a million in our area. I live in Virginia Beach..trees down everywhere... we finally got power back.. but so many still without.

My thoughts are with those who are still struggling through this stuff.

SueJulene

5. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Sep 21, 2003

Maryland took a nasty punch from Isabel. Parts of downtown Baltimore were flooded out from the storm surge out of the Inner Harbor area. Those areas on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay were hit very hard, especially eastern Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County south of Annapolis. (Margo, have you been able to reach family in the area? Let me know if I can help.) The entire state has been declared a disaster area. I just have to thank God that our home was spared.

What amazes me the most is that all this damage came after Isabel had lost strength and become a tropical storm. If that thing had stayed category 5 all the way to the coast.......

Well, most of the local school systems are out tomorrow (Monday) but since my private school seems to have escaped damage, it looks like I'll be going to work.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 22, 2003

Our county is out but our private school is open. That is a good thing because I HATE making up days in June. We lost power for so long that our basement filled up with about 6 inches of water. It lifted up some of the rubbermaid tubs and tipped them over allowing water to seep in the air holes at the top. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. All of my Montessori lesson stuff was WAY up high. I had about 8 cardboard boxes of canning jars someone gave me and they were soaked. All the jars went to the recycle center and the boxes are in the dump. It took 2 trips to the dump in our small pick up truck to dispose of all the wet stuff. I bought some cement blocks and boards and now everything is up off the floor.

South of us right at the Bay..there are still many people without power. We are 7 miles north of the Bay. It could have been alot worse.

Eileen

7. suejulene

suejulene Rookie

Sep 22, 2003

Isabel aftermath

Hi all,
    While we have power at our house now... there are still many many who do not..including some of the other 5th grade teachers I work with. We have already missed Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday (all day).. and now we will also be out of school today (Monday) and tomorrow. Make up days are the pits.. but what else can be done..not sure. We'll see how VaBeach handles this.

Take care all.
    SueJulene

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Sep 22, 2003

This is a 5 day weekend and we may not be back tommorow, either. I am mot worried about the mane-up days, because a) the governer will probably pardon them, since we are/ were in a state of emergency, and b) there's nothing I can do about it now- if they aren't pardoned and it snows a few times this winter, we'll be in school till the 4th of July. Oh, well!:rolleyes:

9. suejulene

suejulene Rookie

Sep 22, 2003

Isabel aftermath

Angela.. Where are you located?

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 22, 2003

11. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Sep 22, 2003

Margo, I am very glad to hear that all is well with your family. It seems so random as to who lost power around here and who didn't. At one place, the Wal-Mart was without power but the Target less than ½ a mile away was fine.

Here's some links to pics from the Annapolis harbor area. If you are familiar with the area you'll understand just how crazy this is.
    http://www.ci.annapolis.md.us/news/isabel/city_dock.asp

Annapolis Home Page

I have friends whose house was on the Magothy River right where it emties into the Chesapeake. They have lost quite a bit, but at least the house is still structurally sound. I cannot imagine watching waves break in my living room, but that's what they went through.

Hoping all returns to normal ASAP,
    Ed

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 23, 2003

its the water

I have lived thru childhood hurricanes that were tame compared to hurricane andrew. But, Isabel was MUCH larger and although it didnt cause the $$$ of damage it definitely had more water fall. I hear in everyones voice in florida a tremendous sense of relief that Isabel did NOT come our way. I also hear in the posts of relief from those who endured her wrath. You all sound strong and concerned for others who 'lost' more. Its so hard to have your life so upheaveled where Men can do nothing more to protect their family and thier posessions its emotionally draining. Then to see pictures of what it was like for other people and you just want to be thankful that you did not lose life or limb to the storm, as you survey what losses you have in posessions. Everyone is effected from this, not just those who took the brunt of Isabel. Even down here in Florida we realize what COULD HAVE, or WOULD have happened if Isabel came to us, NOW that we know all the information. SCARY considering after we lost the entire city of Homestead and almost all of Kendal in Hurricane ANdrew that the swamp lands, where we have all our NEW construction, post hurricane andrew, would NEVER have been able to taken the amount of rain from Isabel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you recover your life after the storm.