Is your word your bond?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by swansong1, Jul 8, 2009.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

I really enjoy rooting for people who are looking for jobs. The last time I had to look for a job, if you showed up at the interview, you were hired. Now I read all the posts that people should keep on interviewing until they get a signed contract. What about the situation that School A gives you a verbal job and you accept, then you interview for a job you think you would like better at School B, who also offer you a position. It seems to me that your word should be your bond for School A? Maybe things are different now and a verbal job from a school doesn't really mean you have a job? I'm just curious because I may decide to switch jobs in the next couple of years so I'm trying to get educated on newer job hunting.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

becky~I can't speak for everyone and I know that situations are different. I've verbally accepted a job an hour away. My contract is due signed by July 13. However, if I get a job offer closer to home then I will take it. 1)because of my dd who will be starting kinder this year and 2)because it will mean more $$$$.

4. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

Your word should be your bond but it seems as though people hiring can change their minds, so as long as nothing is signed and you don't leave the other job last minute, I think you have to do what you have to do.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 8, 2009

In my first teaching position my word WAS my bond. THEN, I got a little smarter. I wanted to be closer to home. I did not resign my contract and verbally accepted a contract in a district about 20 minutes from my home. THEN, I went to a summer workshop in the district. I realized that this was not the district that I wanted to work in. The district was far behind my previous district in professional development. The teachers were very sarcastic and did not like any kind of change. A typical comment I would hear is, "If it isn't broke, why fix it?" I just knew that I would stagnate in that kind of environment. I fretted over this for weeks. Then, the district that I had done my student teaching called. I DID NOT tell them that I had been offered another job. I interviewed and was offered a position. I LOVED my new school. The district was professional and progressive. It was one of the hardest things to do, when I called that principal back. He was so upset and even told me that I could not take the job because I had signed a contract. I told him, no, I had never signed the contract. I had held it and there was no date on it that it had to be returned by. He was upset, and I knew that I had burned that bridge. But in the end, it was the best decision. I could make. I took a BIG pay cut to take this job, but it was SO worth it in so many other ways. In the end, you have to weigh your options and do what is right for you. Just don't tell them that you ACCEPTED another position already. THEN, you may just get stuck and it might turn out ok.... But somehow, I just KNEW that was not the place for me. I just knew it.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

My word is my bond. Once I say I'll work for a school, I stop looking.

That's not to say that I haven't asked for a weekend to decide, then turned down an offer though.

7. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

If words were bonds of principals then maybe...

But how many times have teachers on this board heard things like, "We'll call you to let you know...." and then never heard. School boards don't keep their word.

In my mind, this is why there are rules. As long as you behave legally I think it's okay. You need to do what is best for your family. The entire hiring process is designed to be in the best interest of the SCHOOL, not the teacher. So sometimes people have to make tough decisions, like accept a job that puts a lot of pressure on their family. If something better comes along you need to do what is best for your family. I've seen the school system make too many completely heartless decisions that don't take account teachers to think that teachers should have to be perfect on this front when school boards are so clearly not.

8. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

You have to look after yourself! Its sad but times have changed and until you have signed that contact nothing is final. When you do sign the contract make sure you write down the date and time you signed it! just a word of advice :)

9. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I was offered a maternity leave position which I accepted. This was about a month before school would begin. Later that week I was offered a year long position with the potential to become permanent. I went to the principal who have offered the maternity leave position and explained the situation to him. I had to take the other offer. I did not like going back on my word, but even he realized it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2009

I'm on the fence on this one. Normally, when I verbally commit to a something, I keep my word.

But I know a lot of people who verbally committed to a job; turned down better offers; had their position dissolve before the beginning of the school year; and then have to scramble to find work. Unless the numbers are set in stone, there's really not much you can do except hope for the best.

Whether it's the fault of the principal or the economy or low enrollment numbers or whatever, I really think that the face of education is changing and that the feel of it is becoming more industrial/corporation.

I guess, to me, it seemed like education was the last frontier where everyone was honest and people could trust you just because you were a teacher or administrator. Now it seems just as cut-throat as any other business where it's a buyer's market.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

I try to make my word my bond. Currently, have not signed my contract for my new school (they are not ready yet). Both the school and I have to rely on the fact that our words are true. I could still be searching for jobs, and they could be looking for a better or cheaper teacher. I feel good going into a school setting where we have that trust.

I turned down an offer for a leadership position (which would pay me 10,000 more per year than the position I eventually accepted) because of their "word." I went through 3 interviews with the organization (which is typical). During my final interview with the program, I also interviewed with 3 schools. The organization did not call me for 2 weeks after the final interview (and after I had received 3 other offers). I gave up a lot of money, but being valued as a person or employee was important to me. 2 weeks after a 3 interview-interview process....please.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

The district where I live (but not teach) recently hired a new superintendent (a long process). He signed a contract, and a week later changed his mind to stay in his original district!

13. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

After a successful interview with a school district I was asked to accept a position with a school district. This was pending all references.

The next day I was called by the Director of Personnel and told all my references went through and congrats I was hired!!!

The NEXT day I was called by the same individual and told the position was no longer available. The district just "decided" not to hire for the position.

How about that for "word?"

Until I sign on the dotted line I will assume I don't completely have the position.

I also believe this happens in every aspect of the professional world. Deals fall through all the time.

I know this sounds harsh, but I suppose I'm a little jaded now.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

I have had three job offers rescinded due to the budget in the past year. Until I have something in writing, I will keep looking. If you don't look out for yourself, who will? I've got a family to take care of and have learned the hard way that unfortunately you can't rely on people's word.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2009

It certainly appears that the hiring process has changed over the years. And it doesn't seem like it's for the better.

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

I was offered a contract last year, and I verbally accepted, but the district didn't keep their word. The excuse I was given was, "We misplaced your employee file." My references, my licenses, test scores... gone. :mad: The file miraculously showed up later, but they didn't have any more positions to fill.

Jaded? Oh, yes.

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

Do you have a job now Lilmisses? That is just terrible!:(

18. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Nope... :( I was a LTS in that district at the end of this past school year, and HR has been very hard to get in touch with. (If I wasn't so desperate for a job I would have written off that district completely.) My P and AP at the school where I taught have been vocal with HR about wanting me at the school, but they haven't heard anything either.