Is your sub caller crabby?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Joy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 27, 2011

I sub in six districts and three of those districts have an actual person that calls the subs. The rest are all automated. I find that whenever I get called by one of the people they are very crabby! I just got called by one asking if I was available tomorrow. She then told me that it was for art. I am licensed in music and just do not feel qualified to teach art. I take other jobs outside of my content area but art is too much of a stretch for me. I told her that I'm really not qualified to teach art. She was so put out! I know her job is hard and she has to find someone to fill the job but I really don't want to spend my day baby sitting because I don't know what I'm doing. That isn't fair to me, the kids, the teacher I would be subbing for, or the subs out there that are qualified to teach art. I just don't get it. I think I prefer being called by a machine!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 29, 2011

I think I would prefer a machine too. The sub caller, however, could just have a lot of demands on their time for that time of the morning and likely that is a small part of their job. No excuse but I can see it.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2011

Ironically, the school with the crabbiest sub-coordinator (I was convinced she hated me) is the school where I was hired as a full time teacher! Turns out the girl was just kinda mean to everyone. Crabby was her natural persona.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 29, 2011

I'm so sorry you're getting crabby sub callers. When I subbed they didn't have any automated callers so this one woman would call for all the subs in the district. She was actually very pleasant and I enjoyed talking to her! She always asked how I was and remembered what kinds of classes I liked subbing for.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2011

My hubby, when he was a sub, had a real nice one. She later went on to a different position and was replaced by a person who was pretty mean, unprofessional and rude. Hubby also used to sub every single day when the other lady was in charge of calling subs. When this new lady started, hubby was lucky to sub once a week. Apparently, he found out later that she was only calling certain people who she knew.

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Sep 29, 2011

Most of the school I sub for have a sub coordinator and if you tell them no you are not available, they won't call again until they are desperate. I feel like saying, the early bird gets the worm! I will usually sub for whoever calls first because you don't know if you are going to get another call. I think they have a stressful job, but give us a break.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2011

I would hope the art teacher would leave lesson plans for you, just as any other teacher would. Also, I would probably think of a music teacher first if I needed an art sub, since those content areas require a more creative thinking process. Seems to me like art and music would go together the same way math and science do.

I am certified in middle school math and science both. Yesterday, I was called to sub for a local art teacher myself. It was only a half-day and I had two classes - the first being Kindergarten. Talk about being out of my element! :eek: But the teacher assured me she would leave activities for them to do, which she did. She suggested I read a story to the K-kids and then let them play with playdough. Not only does playdough keep them occupied, it is also one of her state goals and objectives. So that's what I did.

The second class was 6th grade (a little more up my alley). She didn't have a structured activity for them, so I used an activity my CT taught me during my student teaching. Both classes went fine.

As for crabby sub-callers, it is aggravating at times, but at least you are still getting called by them. That's better than getting no calls to sub at their schools. ;)

9. snapples

snapples Rookie

Sep 29, 2011

Luckily I work with a sub agency for private and charter schools, as well as for public, but most of my calls are from the agency and the people who call are polite. The only time I have encountered crabbiness is from the school secretaries on occasion. I am young, 26, and sometimes are treated like one of the kids.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 30, 2011

There is a huge difference between teaching art and teaching music. I know my content area very well. I play in a professional string quartet, teach piano and cello lessons, and am certified in both Kodaly and Orff. While I have a huge appreciation for art, about the only thing that I can draw is a stick person. I did sub for elementary art once and I didn't feel qualified. I want to do my job very well and not just squeeze by for the day. I wasn't worried about not having any plans. I was worried about being able to follow the plan the teacher left. I actually wish that more subs would be a little more honest about what they are qualified to teach. I have run into numerous subs in music who did not know what they were doing. At least they were being brave and willing to try but it would be nice if those jobs could go to those who are certified in that subject matter.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 4, 2011

My sub coordinator is not crabby... I'm sure she's a nice lady.

It's a funny thing. We've "worked together" for many years, but I don't think I've even met her. I also wish we (I) had cultivated a better relationship than what we have now. Which is not to say that we have any contentiousness or anything, but it's just.

Her: "Sub assignment here, for this teacher, and this time"
    Me: "OK, thanks"

And that's that. No, "Hi, how are you", no chit-chat... Not that I care for that either... Oh well, it is what it is... it's hard for me to be social at 6 in the morning, being awakened by a phone call.;)

12. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Not sure how things are in your district, but if it was for Art, I assume it was a high school? Our high school teachers don't expect us to teach. They leave an assignment, be it a video or book work and we just monitor to make sure they are doing it. I take any and all jobs, no matter what subject.

Oh, and I only work in one district and it uses Aesop. The few times the lady does call me she is very pleasant. I think it is a personality thing more than the job.

13. Scoop11

Scoop11 Rookie

Nov 2, 2011

Both my sub coordinators at the middle and high school I have a great rapport with...a lot of times if it's very early in the morning it's the VPrincipal that calls me, but after 7am or to schedule days I talk with the coordinators. Because subs are in short commodity at both schools, they are always very friendly with me because they want me to come back.