Is Your Staff Overwhelmed Right Now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

My goodness...there's SO much going on right now. We had a staff meeting yesterday and everyone left feeling more deflated than before. We knew it wasn't going to be a positive meeting when my principal started out by saying, "Please don't shoot the messenger! This is coming from the D.O." She didn't really need to say that, though, because we all knew that the things she was sharing were coming from the top.

When we had our grade-level meeting, people seemed short-tempered and snappy with each other. That's really not the norm for us.

I guess we all just have a lot on our plates right now (they're overflowing, actually).

How's your staff doing?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 6, 2012

About the same. I'm still new to my school so I'm pretty zen about these things and am going with the flow without saying anything. But there are a lot of unhappy teachers, and from what I can see, pretty horrendous changes that they are trying to inflict on the school.

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah, they extended our school year by 5 days, took away all our "work in your own room" work days but 1, extended the report card to 8 pages per child, extended the school day by 1 hour, and no pay raise to reflect the changes. They have trained us on common core till we're beating a dead horse. So I know what you mean. Good thing I love my school, students, and teaching so much! :)

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 6, 2012

In the same boat. Overwhelmed, frustrated,snappy with each other and many unhappy.
    I love my class this year, so I am keeping to myself as much as possible.

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 6, 2012

Two former students were killed over Thanksgiving break, so we're still recovering from that which means we're all very careful to make sure each other knows they're valued. Even in stressful times, we stick together and are so careful to support each other. It is the non-stressful times that we find ourselves more willing to bicker.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 6, 2012

We are in a crummy place.
    I think we are all holding on for the holiday break so we can decompress and return refreshed in January.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Our team is holding strong between us, but morale is low and I've never experieinced the tension between grade levels like this before.

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 6, 2012

Overall, we are barely keeping afloat. We are trying full inclusion for the first time this year, and it's not going well. We also have a new administrator that is not making things any easier. A lot of teachers I have talked to have told me that they're stressed, crying regularly, getting migraines, etc.

I feel like I'm barely treading water. Co-teaching two subjects and dealing with the extremely diverse needs of 22 special education students is just sucking the energy out of me :unsure:

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 6, 2012

We're doing okay as a staff. However, our kids seem to be struggling. We've had a steep increase in cheating and other weird incidents going on.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Yep, many at our campus seem to have lost that spring in their step.

12. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Dec 7, 2012

We are all looking forward to Christmas break. It's been a stressful year with lots of changes going on. I can't necessarily speak for the rest of the school, but us 6th grade teachers are relying on humor to get us through the next three weeks because we have one crazy group of kids this year!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

Hey Young Teacher Guy, I've been trying to figure out from your posts which school in M city you teach at. Can you just say the first letter? I'm curious if you are working with a Principal I worked with before and if you are working with some of my old coworkers or sister in law.

I work in an afterschool program, but I do know that the teachers at this school are ALWAYS on edge and snappy. They never seem to be happy. I also know that all of the schools in this district aren't doing well and haven't been meetin their API scores. In fact, parents recently got a letters saying that there kids can transfer to another school of their choice (not much good that will do since all schools are improvement schools).

Anyways, I'm glad that I'm not a full time teacher right now and I can have fun teaching the afterschool program. Teaching just doesn't seem much fun anymore. :(

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2012

My school is still going strong. The staff are really finding ways to bond together and support each other.

I know at my last school, the tension is rising and the staff have much shorter fusses.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 7, 2012

I sent you a PM.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 7, 2012

It's so bad. We had our holiday party tonight and only a 4th of us showed up. The people who did show up just complained about how stressed they are. A few retirees came and told stories about how good teaching used to be. :( There are just too many changes at once. :dizzy:

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

Morale is so low right now, I can't believe it. What to do??? I try my best.