Is your school still doing an end-of-year gathering?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applesnap, Jun 9, 2020.

1. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

Jun 9, 2020

At my school, everyone has been working from home since mid-March. The department I belong to has about 14 people in it. My department head is insisting on having an end of year gathering at his house. He has a decent sized backyard and is planning to hold it outdoors, which is good. But he's making it during school hours and calling it a meeting (the implication is that it's mandatory). I'm not really sure that he can actually make it mandatory, but I would sure feel uncomfortable declining to go.

Personally I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea... I have not even seen my own immediate family for more than 10 minutes since mid-March. And when I do see them, it's from 10 feet away while outside. I avoid pretty much all unnecessary outings.

My department head is hard to say no to, though, and does not view this COVID situation as seriously as I do. I had to go in to work for something a few weeks ago and he was there too, and he wasn't careful to stay 6 feet away from me. I'll probably go to the gathering anyway, though, because I don't want to be on bad terms with my department head.

My question is, is your school still doing end-of-year gatherings? Do you think they should be? Would you feel uncomfortable going to one?

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

My school just had a end of year meeting through Zoom. I don't think I would feel comfortable going, but I know myself enough to know that I would go.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

We didn't have one although it was considered. I wouldn't have felt comfortable going.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

We had an end-of-year gathering at a restaurant last week. We weren't expecting many staff members to show up, of course, because of social distancing. Fifteen people came. Better than zero. It was fun.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 9, 2020

S
    This is one of the things I find most frustrating right now! I know that many of us are experiencing quarantine fatigue, but this type of socialization and the accompanying pressure is an issue for some of us. I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction in November. There were issues with some tissue healing, and I ended up having three additional major surgeries and spending another three weeks in the hospital. I was off work until I was assured that we would be virtual through year-end. As a result, I strictly limit my activities, and I am religious about wearing a mask. I did all of our end-of-the year PD virtually, but there are still things that make it hard! I had to stop (briefly) in the office. The staff assured me that I should never apologize for wearing a mask. I don’t, but I’d like to remind them that I wear a mask to protect them, and I would love the same courtesy.

On the subject of gatherings, a dear friend is retiring. I’d love to go, but I just don’t know. At first, it was to be a small gathering, but suddenly most of the staff is being invited. Social distancing is almost non-existent in my small town:(

End of vent!!

bella84 likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2020

We did not have an end of-year gathering. I would have declined the invitation if we had. I know some “hard to say no to” people. However, I happen to be a “not going to do it if I don’t want to” person.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2020

We didn't do one. That was fine with me because work social events are definitely not my thing. I always try to make excuses not to go. I would enjoy doing something with my team, but not with the whole school staff. Our last day was May 15, and things were much more locked down then here. If we were ending sometime around now, I could see people wanting to do some sort of EOY party.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to go anyway for other reasons. But if I did, covid concerns would not keep me from an outdoor gathering. That's pretty much as safe as you can get as far as a gathering goes. I'm of the opinion that we need to start figuring out how to live our lives again. This isn't going away and I don't think it's reasonable to avoid social situations/situations with other people for another year or more. I live alone; it may feel more reasonable if you have a family to do things with.

That said, if other people don't feel comfortable I think it's fine to continue staying home as well. I wouldn't pass judgment on someone who would rather not go out, even if they're not in a high risk category. I think people need to do whatever they're personally comfortable with. I have friends who are no longer taking any precautions at all as well as friends who still don't even want to do things like get take out. It's a wide spectrum out there.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

We didn't do one. We had to have temp checked, wear mask and gloves to go in classroom to close out room. Only one person from each hall allowed at a time, and over several days so you shouldn't need to run into anyone. So, no social gathering. I would have declined. Doctor told me to continue to shelter in place.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 10, 2020

My last day of school was last Friday and we didn't have anything.
    In the past our last day was always a full day, but we had set aside the last 2 hours for a potluck or catered lunch and an end of year reflection and get together. Sometimes the potluck / catered lunch spread out during the day and everyone could eat all day (that was great) and a shorter meeting after.
    This year we had nothing but I don't think anyone expected it. Most teachers were way behind on paperwork and closing out student files (we have to do a lot of work at the end) I was done early (which never happens) so I had no stress.
    I would have participated but it makes sense that my principal didn't want to use up our time when teachers really were stressing out.
    It was sad that we could say good bye to only the teachers that we saw i n passing. No one was required to go in on a specific day or time. I was there a few days for a few hours and saw a few teachers and sad my good byes. Didn't get to see most of them though.

We had a few hour long Zoom meetings on Friday but he even cancelled the last one a few weeks ago saying that we can get everything done in a group email and he was very right.
    This principal started just about a month before Covid19 happened and I like his easy going, listening, common sense and approachable attitude.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 10, 2020

My district is continuing to do everything virtually - summer school, summer PD, meetings. There is no way we would have an in-person social gathering sponsored by the district. And I'm glad about that. I have a hard time saying "no" when I feel pressured to do something, and I would definitely be uncomfortable going to a work social gathering right now. I'm not even socially gathering with family who live outside my home, and colleagues are much lower on the priority list when considering people to see.

creativemonster and whizkid like this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2020

We usually have a big end of year barbecue that one of our teachers hosts (his backyard is like a luxury resort!). This year, there will be nothing. We are planning a virtual celebration for our teachers who are retiring and are going to do a drive by at the home of our principal who is moving to another school next year.

13. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 10, 2020

Nope and wasn't going if there was one.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 10, 2020

Nope.

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 10, 2020

We are planning a zoom social. Having said that - IF we planned an in person social my response would be:
    "I'm so terribly sorry, I won't be able to be there." period. No need to say why, no more than that.

readingrules12 and RainStorm like this.
  16. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Jun 10, 2020

I've been out of school for almost a month now, and we did not have an end-of-year gathering. In May, we were still under a stay at home order, so that would not have been possible. Even now, there are limits to gathering size of 10 people or fewer. If my school or department had tried to do one anyway, I would have declined.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 11, 2020

I'm sure you won't be the only one.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 14, 2020

We're supposed to go on Friday and stand awkwardly in the parking lot. :confused:

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2020

Just heard over the weekend that we will likely be able to continue one last day of school tradition--the principal books an ice cream truck and treats the staff.