Is your school/admin "open" with the faculty re: potential layoffs & budget cuts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lindsay.Lou, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Like most school districts in the country, my district is struggling to balance the budget. As a new, non-tenured teacher (going into my 2nd year), this is obviously very stressful for me. What I find most frustrating is that my administration is very cryptic/secretive about what they're going to do to resolve the budget gap.

Last year, the teachers that got laid off (only a handful) had NO warning. One day, they were just called in the office. They didn't see it coming AT ALL.

I understand not wanting to incite panic in the faculty, but I think they should be more honest and straightforward from the get go about whether layoffs will happen, and how many.

I'm excited/motivated about the school year, but at the same time I'm dreading the return of the constant worry. Every time my VP or P asked to speak to me, I'd break into a cold sweat thinking ' oh my gosh, this is it...' and they'd say something like "can you cover an extra lunch duty this week?" :unsure:

It takes a lot out of me physically and emotionally to be in the dark. I'm wondering if this is the norm? :confused:

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

I think it is very hard to answer your question - every admin has a different style but let me tell you something my admin is sharing. In this budget cycle things are constantly changing, mostly for the worse but sometimes for the better. Decisions are being made high up the food chain and are constantly changing. My principal said she is reticent to share a lot of it because of all the uncertainty. She got caught telling some people they would probably lose their jobs (some sold houses, got other jobs losing tenure, etc.) and the jobs were reinstated so now some are angry because they made decisions thinking they were losing their jobs. Now she doesn't want to say anything until everything is definite, but the unknowing of it all is driving everyone crazy. Many of us are in the same boat. I was going crazy with the stress of it but now I have decided I just have to forge ahead and take one day at a time. It sounds trite but otherwise the stress eats me alive and may affect my teaching or home life.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2009

Everything is pretty well in the open. Our staffing numbers are given to the administration by the school board. If we have more staff than than we will be allotted for the following year, someone is declared "surplus" to the school (but they will be guaranteed a position somewhere within the board). Surplus is based only on seniority--last hired, with the school board, first to go. There are times when we don't know as quickly as we would like to about staffing numbers; that is usually because the administrators are working to try to get it increased.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

Our admin is very open. They tell us everything they know.