Is your room clean(ed)?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Sep 6, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

How clean is your room? Do you have to clean it or do your custodians help?

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

Our rooms get cleaned daily. This means carpets vacummed, trash collected, sinks cleaned, soap/paper towel dispenser refilled, boards washed, tables wiped. During the summer our rooms get a big cleaning.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

The cleaning crew only does floors, sinks and bathrooms in our school. We have to clean everything else.

I have to add that they don't clean the floors very well at all, either. We have a new cleaning crew this year.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

Ditto, except for the boards. Our students eat in the classrooms, so table are cleaned and disinfected in the kindergarten rooms after snack, after lunch and at night.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 7, 2010

Our custodians got cut in half several years ago so we get our trash emptied every night, our carpets vacuumed every other night, and the bathrooms are (supposedly) cleaned every night. The main hallways are swept every night too. That's it. Anything else we want done we have to do ourselves. Oh, and did I mention the vacuums haven't been replaced since Carter was in the white house? Many teachers have purchased their own vacuum cleaners since the ones the school owns don't work. Sad...

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2010

I agree with previous posters - they do trash, the floors and bathroom and that seems to be about it. They were supposed to do a good cleaning over the summer but I spent a lot of last week doing what I thought should have been done already.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2010

We have a cleaning company come in every night. They vacuum, clean my bathroom (toilet, fill TP, soap, and paper towels, scrub the sink, mop the floor), and clean the tables.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2010

My lady does the floors and trash. If I ask, she'll do the boards.

I clean the tables and dust my desk and bookshelves.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 7, 2010

Ouch, that must have hurt! (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Our trash is emptied every night, along with boards wiped and floor swept.

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

Our cleaners do not move the furniture around SO I move them around so they can vacuum what they didn't do the night b4.
    Let me just say that they can do a lot better. They mop but it looks like they do not even try to get it MOPPED the right way.
    Oh! Scrub! That's a dead subject with them.:eek:
    Rebel1

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 7, 2010

My school is like Vanna's. We get the trash emptied and the floors vacuumed every OTHER day. Which is gross since we eat on the floor every day. That is 2 classes of kids too! Yuck!

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

Trash emptied, floors vacuumed, sinks disinfected, tables disinfected, pencil sharpeners emptied every day.

They dust like once a week.

14. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Our custodian vaccums and cleans my two bathrooms-I think he vaccums every couple of days.-It is hard for him to get in our rooms during the school day since he only works until 3:30 and comes in early in the morning. I have a bristle sweeper I bought so i can pick up any bits of paper that may have been left behind if we've done a fine motor project-My boards are in a funky arrangement, so I don't really use them that much, so they don't get dirty..

15. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Our floors got waxed this summer. Except they forgot to clean up the paint spots before they waxed over it.

16. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Am I the only one that things this is just sad? Our children go to school in such dirty, environments and it's the TEACHERS JOB to do the rest! Just makes me sick! What more can teachers do? It makes me sad b/c my son will be going to K next year and it makes me cringe to think how dirty the classrooms are.

17. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 8, 2010

I have an awesome custodian who vacuums, washes the tables and cleans the bathrooms. She ROCKS and we always help and thank her.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 8, 2010

All that ;) Also, my custodian is really good and she often starts cleaning while I am still at duty and she will pick things up if the kids have left them out at the end of the day :thumb:

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2010

our carpets are vaccuumed, tables cleaned once a week or so, light fixtures and top of cabinets dusted periodically.
    I always have the students sweep the carpet with little brooms everyday.

20. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

Our school hired a cleaning company this year. This summer our floors were to be waxed & carpets cleaned. Only problem, they skipped one room and in some cases, didn't clean the tile b/f waxing. After the "cleaning" I had to move all of my own furniture back-including two full filing cabinets and heavy shelves. I also cleaned my tables, shelves the tops of all cabinets, etc. before school started. Couldn't stand the thought of school starting w/o my room bein cleaned. The cleaning crew comes in at night. It's been spotty so far.

21. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 9, 2010

Count you blessings everyone :) At my school, the teachers are responsible for all the cleaning. We are not able to hire custodians and so we do it all. I SO am looking forward to the day when we will be able to afford a janitorial staff. :)

22. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

Wow! I am afraid to ask-do you receive any type of compensation for doing this? What happens when a child gets sick (as in throws up)

23. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

Custodians at my school empty the trash, recycle bin, and vacuum everyday. I'm a neat freak so I keep lysol and baby wipes on hand. Today I had the kids clean their desks because I noticed some had pencil or crayon smudges on them. I like to keep the room as clean as possible. If there are too many papers on my desk or group table it drives me nuts.

24. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 9, 2010

no extra compensation...it is, let's say, a labor of love? More than once I have had to clean up "sickness."

25. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

This is my first year here, and we've only had one day so far, so I don't know what is done at the end of each day. I do know that before the year started, they either brought in machinery to clean the floor of my room, or someone got down on hands and knees to clean it, because one day when I came to drop off some of my personal items it was filthy, and the next it was sparkling and I was told not to go in until after they waxed it.

Personally, I keep lysol wipes (and I'll be adding other supplies too) on hand to clean things up as I go, because I can't deal with mess in my classroom. At the end of the first day, I wiped everything down, but I'm going to have to cut back on that if I want to be out of school before six every day! :lol:

26. aen05

aen05 Rookie

Sep 12, 2010

I'm at a charter school in FL and we do not have a custodian :( I have to clean, vaccum and do everything else myself. It takes me about an hour at the end of the day to clean my room. The school only has 1 vaccum so I had to purchase my own vaccum as well.

Needless to say, I am going to try to get into a public school next year.