Is Your Pet Smart?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 9, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2012

I know pet owners are like parents bragging about their "kids" all the time. But I also know some pets are not born with the same innate abilities and their owners do know that-my sister's dog is dumb as a box of hair-it's endearing though. You can fake throw a ball-he'll look for it literally for hours, even when you show it to him, that you have it, he's still looking for it. He was afraid of men when she 1st got him and my parents went to visit-he kept hiding behind people and would look up and realize d'oh--that's a man too.

Anyway, my pup is GT! Too smart for her own good sometimes. If it's raining and I get ready to take her out, she goes over to where I keep the umbrella. When I hurt my knee last year, without any prodding from me, she would stop and slow down to my pace when we walked. We were in class one night and I taught her to dip her head on command in 5 minutes-she'll still do it. She has a Kong she'll bring over and drop in my lap because she wants me to fill it with peanut butter.

Well, last night took the cake! I went to walk her about 10:00-it was dark and there was a dog loose in the street. I put her in the house and went to see if it had any tags or anything to contact its owner, but the stray dog took off running down the street when I approached. Then I hear a door open and turn around, my dog is standing in the doorway! I have no idea how she opened that door-I know it was closed. Luckily she still had her leash on and I think was as surprised as I was-she came right to me. My little Houdini! ;)

How smart is your pet?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

Well my cat is either really smart or really dumb. Today I spent almost an hour looking for her. Then I gave up. Well a short while later I opened my bathroom drawer (about five inches clearance) and there she was! She also hangs out on top of my kitchen cabinets...

Both horseys are quite intelligent!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

My sister has a dog we swear is half human. Anyone who has ever been around her comments on it.

My cat is pretty smart. She is much smarter than my mom's dog or my best friend's dog. She likes to torment them :lol: It is hard with cats because they do what they want. But, she knows all of my routines and what is happening. She knows as soon as the suitcase comes out there will be a long car ride for her and she goes into hiding.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

We have two dogs. Dog 1 is pretty smart and Dog 2 is um... not so much. He's also just lazy, slow moving, and needy. Dog 2 VERY cute though, so at least he's got that going for him. Dog 1 is constantly SO happy, energetic, and loving. Also very cute but people tend to pay more attention to Dog 1 since he's so dopey looking. They're both sweet dogs. :)

The dog I had growing up was incredibly smart and it was very sad to see that his mind was clearly going when he got very old. :(

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

Either I'm too stupid to train my dog properly, or my dog is too freaking smart.

She's a street dog we adopted, but we think she's mostly pointer which I have read is a stubborn breed. She knows her name, knows when I call her, etc, but she comes when she's well and ready to come. I always bring treats to the park and when I tried to "ween" her off them by holding out a rock or stick, she would come within 10 feet, sniff the air, then turn away if it wasn't a treat! Freaking dog!

She's really good on her leash, it's just when she has freedom she does whatever she feels like.

Here she is enjoying the sunshine!
    [​IMG]

And here she is BAD!
    [​IMG]

(I know you didn't ask for pictures, but I think my puppy is just the cutest thing ever and can't resist putting up pictures:whistle:)

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

Booger is an extremely smart cat. He "tells" you what he wants or needs. For example, one day I was doing laundry and he came into the laundry room. I kept the litter box in that room, so I assumed that's what he was there for. Well, that or to try to get the warmest laundry-bed possible for a nice little nap. Anyway, He came in, tapped his paws on my ankle, then sat down and looked up at me. As soon as I looked at him, he walked over to his box, pawed in it for a few seconds, walked over to the clean litter container, pawed at it, then walked back over to the box and sat down next to it. I got the message quite clearly: the sand in the box wasn't deep enough. I put more litter in the box and he was a happy kitty again. He does that sort of thing whenever he needs anything.

Molly, on the other hand, is dumb as a brick. She's sweet and loving, but I'm not sure if there's ever been a dumber cat.

8. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 9, 2012

My Lexi (left) is very smart...and manipulative. She knows she's cute and thinks she should be picked up. She's also currently pregnant and refuses to jump on the sofa or use her stairs to get on the bed. (Yes, I am that person.) She wants to be picked up and whines until someone picks her up. It is ridiculous. She won't do it herself until you turn around.

And then you have Sadie (right). The only thing Sadie knows how to do is bring you her favorite toy when she is in trouble. It's her peace offering.

[​IMG]

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

My border collie Buddi is very smart. She really attaches herself with the humans. My 80 year old mother who has mobility issues and walks with a cane, came to visit this week and Buddi really doesn't know her but she was really protective of her. She just seemed to sense that she needed to step up and help.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I don't know if my son is particularly "gifted", but like someone else has experienced, he is very manipulative. More than smart, he is insanely spoiled...and that probably stunted his intellectual growth a bit. But he is certainly not dumb, truly.

I love my husband, but I would do ANYTHING for my dog while my husband has a difficult time persuading me to make him supper. The dog is my soul mate...and I am not kidding! :)

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Love the pictures...the "bad dog" one is priceless!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

My cat, Boo Radley, is brilliant. He's like a circus cat...he does tricks, 'talks' and he's just so darn cute!

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 9, 2012

LOVE the bad dog pic! Did he rip apart the couch? Hard to tell.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2012

:lol: All of my fur babies are brilliant. They take after their mother. :lol:

My Bertie loves to drink from the faucet. He can turn on the kitchen faucet by himself.

My Boscoe can open the cabinet door where his canned food is stored and he has gotten a can or two out when he wants to get one.

My Bailee knows when I am sick and will sleep on top of my feet only when I'm not feeling well. Otherwise, she sleeps on the corner of the bed.

My Charlie was raised out in the country and he had sixty acres to run around on. Now that he lives in town, he stays in the back yard. One day I left the garage door open and he went into the garage. The garage door was open because my hubs was mowing the front. Charlie saw the open garage door and went back into the back yard.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

She ripped open a pillow. At least it was her pillow!:rolleyes:

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 9, 2012

LOL it kind of looked like he puked!

My dog is pretty smart too and seems to understand everything I say (unless he steals something of mine and I tell him to drop it. Then he doesn't understand :whistle: ). At bedtime he wants to come sleep in my bed but before I pick him up onto the bed I tell him to go get his toy, usually raccoon or piggy or whatever. He keeps me awake at night if he doesn't have a toy with him. He knows exactly where to find each toy that I mention. He always comes back with whichever one I tell him to get. It's so cute. He must think of his toys as his "pets" and he knows all their names LOL

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

Dog 1 (Mimosa)is 8 years old and I swear she is a master of manipulation...she knows the way to our heart and will use it to get what she wants. In other ways...a little dumb. She is only 5 lbs so she freaks out over random things. She HATES when people shake hands..it's the weirdest thing.

Dog 2 (Penny) is our new addition, and just turned 1 year old today! She is too smart for her own good-a real troublemaker sometimes! We have an L shaped couch and she loves to walk behind it. How she fits in there, I have no idea! However, she catches on very quickly and LOVES learning new tricks. I say she is dumb though because she is nothing but a heavy brick sometimes. She is part dachshund so she has short legs. Because of this she clotheslines herself when she tries to jump on the couch. Every. Single. Time. She also tries to play with Mimosa, but since Penny is 3x heavier (5 lbs vs. 15 lbs), her version of play is to take her toy and shove it in Mimosa's face until poor old lady Mimosa falls over!

Here's my old lady Mimosa:
    http://instagr.am/p/OHxbpCzKbD/

and birthday girl Penny!
    http://instagr.am/p/OFbdAmTKXH/

I keep trying to figure out how to imbed the pictures themselves but they are failed attempts...

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

Your cat is named Boo Radley?! That's awesome! Tangent but my professor loved TKAM and a former teacher he taught named her daughter Harper. TKAM is my favorite book. But I'm pretty sure my next animal is going to be named either Harry or Hermione.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

Our cat Holly, hmm, sometimes she's dumb or maybe she's just manipulative. Even though we don't move her food bowl, sometimes she cries for her food, we have to show her her food bowl with food in it. Other times, she meows to tell us that she needs food. She plays The In/Out game with our daughter. Paws on the closed bedroom door to be let out, the door closes again. Wait a minute, paw to be let back in.

The dog, Daphne. She's just plain special. Doesn't like people, other then us. Doesn't like rain, thunder or the mail person. Garbage truck, no big deal.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

My dog freaks out at any loud traffic noises. Shutting doors, loud engines, garbage truck is by far the worst. I think she was maybe hit by a car once when she was a street puppy because she's got a big zig-zag scar on her nose. It didn't occur to me until later to call her Zorro!!!:p

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Yup...my best friend had a cat named Atticus Finch :haha:

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

My dogs are brainiacs! :)

Here is a photo:
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcC09Km3TzgRaPayXreq7nPwtt4bniCgvJu8kCvPvNCi89nt0swjfIIWn_

Abby is the big one, Boo is the small one with the underbite.

Both dogs know several commands (sit, down, paw, other paw, bow, roll, lean). Both ring the bell on the door when they want to go out.

Boo knows the difference between a lot of her toys. So, when you say, "get the monkey," she brings you the monkey. "Get the duck," she brings you the duck.

Boo can climb an 8 foot ladder with no help. Not sure that is a sign of smarts, though.

When one dog has the one toy the other one wants, they trick each other to give it up. Example: Abby rang the bell to go out, so husband got up to let her out, Boo got up to go out, too. Abby darts back through the house to get Boo's toy and goes to her bed. She had no intention of going out, just wanted Boo to leave the toy.

When Boo "begs" it isn't a typical beg. She turns extra lovey-dovey, crawls in your lap, gives you a hug, puts her head under your chin.

Boo watches animals on TV, doesn't care about people. Her favorite animals are bears.

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 9, 2012

Umm, well, no. She is sweet and been good with the kids and was my baby for a long time before we had kids, but in a "survival of the fittest" situation, well, she wouldn't make it.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Redman is very smart (cat in avatar.) Stays by my side all evening until I go to bed. When I'm ready for bed I say, "Let's go to bed, Redman," and he follows me right in.
    Our new kitty Fernida is slowly catching on from watching him. They never ever go in the bedroom to sleep until I do.:)

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Nope :). I moved my kitty's food about 5 days ago because I caught him hopping up there and trying to nibble on the bag. Even today, he is still hopping up on that same shelf looking for it, even though it's been days and he's watched me get it out from the closet several times!

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Dog #1-Cheyenne
    [​IMG]
    She is smart!

Dog #2-Tank
    [​IMG]
    He is a smartie too. He knows when we're going to the car and when he can go. He was very quick to potty train.

Cat-Buddy
    [​IMG]
    This cat is too smart for his own good!

27. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

Way too smart. I keep reading that Dobies are about as intelligent as a 3 yr old, but the vet said mine is even more than that.

A few of his naughty tricks...

Learned how to hit the deadbolt just right from the outside to unlock the door. Can work doorknobs. Has let himself into the house to play a few times while we're at work :eek:

Will fake that he has a limp/ sticker in his paw if we aren't paying attention to him outside.

Can take off any collar - even the metal prong ones - if he wants to. At obedience they tried to make him wear the nose leader thing, and it did not work at all. He couldn't get it off, but had rope burns on his legs from trying. And he refused to move with it on, which kind of makes it worthless.

Can tell time - knows wake up time, get home time, and dinner time perfectly. If I get home early and sneak in quietly, he is fine and happy until 5:35 or so, and starts whining at the gate!

Waits till I'm in the shower, raids the pantry, finds the peanut butter covered pretzels, opens the horrible plastic container that I have trouble with, eats them all, then comes in and tells on himself.

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2012

That really did make me lol.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I had a German/Australian shepherd mix that was very smart. He knew lots of words, and he knew the schedules of everyone in the house. He learned to do all kinds of things that I'd never have expected from a dog. For instance, the same set of clippers was used to cut Dad's hair and the dog's hair. The dog learned that if Dad had the clippers AND the barber cape, that Dad was getting the haircut. If there was no cape, he ran off because he knew it was for HIM. He knew all of us by name, and he'd go to whoever we told him to.

My current dog . . . well, he's cute and likes to snuggle. Smart? Not so much.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

My cat can tell time, too. She knows what time I get up, go to work, get home from work, etc... It is funny when I get home early and she was sleeping. She is all squinty-eyed.

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

LOL that sounds familiar! They know our schedules and routines. When I open the bathroom drawer, they both stare and look a little nervous because that's where I keep the Q tips for ear cleaning!
    They always follow me into the bathroom though and one gets right in the tub for his drink from the faucet. The little one is not brave enough yet, but puts her paws on the edge and watches the big cat drink!:lol:

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

She used to do that, but I bought her a pet fountain because it got old. Every time I walked into the bathroom she would jump in the bathtub and start meowing.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2012

My Boston Terrier's pretty smart too. I talk to him & he's picked up on what I'm talking about. Sure, he could know even more. I've had this e-book since he was a puppy called Teach Your Dog 100 (English) Words. I never got around to it, so he could know 100 words way by now! Hey, it's never too late! ;)

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2012

Yes and he likes to drink quite a bit of water in the tub, then walk away, so I turn it off. He will "ask" for me to turn it on several times in the morning while I get ready for work. I think he just loves all the attention! :lol:

35. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

My dogs are Boo Radley and Abbicus Finch (Abby) ... we didn't like Atti.

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

So my Tank just pushed his water bowl to let me know that he needs water. I walk into the kitchen to fill it up, he walks over to where my daughter put her plate on the counter. He wanted some sausage that she left on there.

37. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

*sigh* My dog is dumb. Really dumb. She tries to be smart because she wants to please me, but no. No.

The cat, however, is an evil genius.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2012

My dog somehow manipulated the mail man into giving him treats. If my dog is outside he will throw a treat out the mail truck window! I don't know how he did it. Maybe he just acted too cute...or the mail man is trying to make friends with the neighborhood dogs LOL

39. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Aug 10, 2012

We have a 12 year old wire-haired fox terrier. She is with my husband all day long and basically thinks and acts like she is human. She knows basic commands, but it is the sentence commands that she is really good at. We can tell her to go somewhere in the house to find her ball/bone, and she will go there. She is a good old dog, but is slowing down in her old age. It will be a very sad time in our house and for my husband when she passes away There is just something sweet and loving about an old ranch dog.

My in-laws Border Collies, on the other hand are the dumbest dogs around. I really dislike (which is an understatement) Border Collies but my in-laws haven't disciplined them like they should have, so they are just plain annoying dogs that smell really bad, break up bird nests, pee on my kid's toys, chase cars, chase cows and bulls (which is a death penalty on a ranch), and are just plain annoying. They might have ended up nice if they were disciplined to start with.