Is your pet scared of something harmless?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

My cat Lola is terrified of the broom. She will watch me carefully from under the bad when I vacuum, but if I start sweeping...oh boy, she's a wreck LOL! Is your pet afraid of something harmless?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Mine is afraid of just about everything. The broom included. Forks. Big time on the forks.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

One of my dogs was a rescue, and was a bused, and is afraid of almost everything. Anything that you point at him, especially.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

My two cats both worship and fear the ceiling fan.

6. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

Swiffer!

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

My bird is afraid of my purple exercise ball when it is in rooms other than the bedroom. In the bedroom, it is in the corner by her sleeping cage. She has even jumped on and sat on it, but if I move it anywhere, she flees in terror.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

One of our dogs is afraid of the most random things. Recently, we learned hula hoops terrify him.

The other little guy is too dumb to be afraid of anything. Vacuums are a common fear for dogs, but not for him. He sheds a lot, so sometimes we just use the vacuum directly on him. Must be like a massage, because he LOVES it.

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

My cats are terrified of the vacuum and of the sound of shoes on the floor. If I walk up to them while wearing shoes, especially flip flops, they take off across the house.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

Freckles and her list of fears: father in law ( never done anything to her) , mother in law ( same thing) , the door to their side of the house (we have a mil apartment), my son's male friends, strangers, the little old man that walks up and down the street.
    We got Freckles when she was about 6 months old. She was fearful of males from the day we got her. I think she might have been abused before we got her. It didn't help that the day after we brought her home I tripped over her while riding a scooter and fell on top of her and dislocated her hip. She had to have surgery. Father and mother in law came to visit her just after surgery and she might associate them with the trauma.

My other dog Jethro: fireworks, my neighbor's quad, loud noises and the tractor. Wh got him when he was only 10 weeks old. He's better with other dogs and people.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

My dog is an abandoned rescue, and terrified of everything. The other day a paper napkin fell off the table and slowly floated down, but he bolted out of the kitchen as if a brick was falling on him.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

AbbyDog doesn't like people standing behind her.

BooDog doesn't like the wind.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

He's scared when I pull out one of those stiff, metal tape measures (as oppsoed to those flexible, silent ones). And he's curious of the broom & will get close to it, unless I start folllowing him around with it, then he'll run away.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

Tonks is scared of anything she didn't see in her first 4 minutes of life. Everything is strange, mystical and unusual.

15. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Lexi is fearless. Sadie on the other hand should be put on medication. She has severe anxiety that somebody wants to steal her favorite toy, her "baby." If you walk past it, she runs and gets it and has to go hide it, all while whining. She is scared of anything that is out of place and tall men (???).

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

My old cat (the one I had as a kid, but still lives with my parents now) is terrified of pretty much everything. The most odd one is probably opening garbage bags. When you shake out one of those big black garbage bags to open it, he runs away and hides. He's also terrified of strangers so anytime a car pulls into the driveway he hides.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

Both dog and cat are terrified of the vacuum. Dog is terrified of the Swiffer. Cat thinks Swiffer is fearsome interloper and that she must protect the house against it at all costs.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

My German Shepard isn't afraid of anything. My lil dachshund is afraid of the vacuum and will try to nip at it every time I use it. My cat runs and hides when the vacuum comes out.

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

My 75 pound doberman is afraid of: big dogs, little dogs, dogs not on a leash, fans, balloons, the custodian at my school, parades, fireworks, rain, getting into the truck if I haven't backed it out of the carport, Petsmart, water, the swimming pool... I'm sure there's more...

He panicked about something on our walk the other day. At the park. In front of the baseball fields, which were packed with Little League kids. In his terror, he managed to pull down my shirt and bra, completely exposing me. Thank goodness I don't teach in the neighborhood I live in! SO embarrassing! Even worse, one of the kids loudly said "He's kind of a baby for such a big dog!"

Another time, we were walking, and a chihuahua was coming down the street towards us. He is especially afraid of chihuahuas, so we tried to cross the street. He noticed that there was a man across the street, working in his front yard, with his dog calmly lying next to him. My dog stopped in the middle of the street, laid down, and cried like a baby. I could not move him. He was hysterical. The owners of the other dogs couldn't stop laughing at us!

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

My dog is tiny, but very protective. He doesn't seem to be scared of much, except maybe going up the stairs (he's old and has a leg injury from a while ago). Anytime we're outside he'll bark and try to chase dogs that are bigger than him. He'll also bark, growl, and move in front of me if he thinks someone is going to hurt me. Most people laugh because they think he's harmless, but I think he would seriously hurt someone if they came after me.

21. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I laughed really hard at this. This is my Sadie, but she's only 10 lbs, so it's more acceptable. So funny. Does he whine? Sadie whines about everything. It's embarassing in public.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

My kitty doesn't like the vacuum or brooms or trash bags. He might be afraid of cleaning, which he would get from me. :)

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I laughed, too! That's hysterical!!!

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

My previous dog, Gyspy, was afraid of any dogs with flat faces (french bull dogs, for example) and Sharpeis. I got her a 10 weeks old from breeder, I'm 100% sure her fear was purely based on looks, not a bad experience.

My current dog, I got as a rescue at about 6 months old. She is afraid of towels (especially white hand towels) and she is afraid of my husband touching her when she is sleeping and will snap at him (but she's not afraid of me). She also used to be terrified of corridors that look institutional. She would not walk through entries into uncarpeted hall areas or garages. She's mostly forgotten that particular fear.

25. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

My bearded dragon does not like one of my son's toys. Whever my son brings the toy out I have to cover Dill's cage. He will puff out his beard get all black and try to attack the toy from the cage. This is the only toy he has ever done this with in the 13 years I have had him.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

He is a big boy, so he has a BIG whine. We did puppy school this summer, and I was fighting back tears the first few classes. He whined the whole hour for the first 3-4 sessions!

(He didn't really graduate from puppy class... They took his picture, gave him a certificate, and asked us not to enroll in intermediate. I may have to accept the fact that I have a decently polite dog at home, and we shouldn't go out in public...)

27. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2012

My cat has many fears, including but not limited to:
    1. Thunder
    2. The Vacuum Cleaner
    3. Baby Talk
    4. Seeing someone outside the window

28. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 16, 2012

Omg, you named your pet Tonks? That's the best pet name I've heard in a while :lol:.

My rabbit is afraid of socks and my pink tie. :huh: None of my other ties... just my pink one.

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

We got her from the pound the day that the first part of Deathly Hallows premiered! She was either going to be Tonks or Luna, and honestly Luna would probably have been better. We could have called her lunatic, which would be appropriate. :D As it is, we often call her Tonkasaurus and Tonka Truck. She's 70lbs of crazy!

30. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 17, 2012

One of my dogs is afraid of our printer. She starts shaking and hides under the couch. The same dog is also afraid of the generic text message alert that is on my iPhone. She runs outside shaking whenever she hears it. One of my dads dogs is afraid of plastic shopping bags. After the initial shock of seeing a plastic shopping bag wears off, he always pees on them! :)

31. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 17, 2012

So funny I came across this post! I have two rat terriers,Bella and Sadie. Today a fly managed tonget in the house and Sadie was trying to catch it while Bella was shaking and scratching my leg off trying to tell me about it!

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

I tell people that my dog is part chicken. She is afraid of everything. Sweetest thing in the world and strong, but harmless.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

My cat is also terrified of the vacuum. She runs and hides whenever I run it. But I hate cleaning too!

My horses have many irrational fears. My older horse, Irish, is afraid of any loud noises. He'll weave and weave in his stall. Like if it's thundering and he's inside he'll weave, but if he's outside (where the thunder actually IS) he's fine. He was a track horse so we think it comes from that. Horsey #2, Kore, is petrified by blue plastic bags. We had a cat get caught in one once and go ripping around the barn in it. I don't blame him for being scared of that! He's also afraid of small ponies. He's mostly grown out of it but I'll never forget the first time a small pony came into the ring and he spun around and just stood there snorting at it :rolleyes: He's not a huge fan of dogs, but loves cats.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2012

DeeOhGee did not show any overt fears until the 4th of July this year, she hates/fears Firecrackers and thunder now. Oh yea she doesn't like the gardener, she hates leaf blowers....

Here she is on her poster. She got third place in the "say something about dogs" contest at the local pet shop.

[​IMG]

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2012

I found out yesterday that my dog is afraid of lint rollers. He cowered when my husband used one on his pants. We have three white kitties so we have several lint brushes lying around.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

Today there was one big thunderstorm. My cat got so scared she crawled behind the couch and hid there for half an hour. Poor cat.

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

When we had a dog...she was afraid of me when it was time for a bath...

When we'd get severe storms and the emergency beep thing would come on the TV she'd run under the recliner and hide.... We had to keep up the recliner that was her den!!!

38. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

My dog runs away whenever plastic or paper rustles. I could be relining the waste basket or wrapping gifts and she darts out of the room. Yesterday I was folding towels and she flipped out.

39. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Let's see. She gets really nervous when the power suddenly goes out. Turning on our electric fireplace freaks our dog out. Not to mention thunderstorms & fireworks.

She doesn't like people except for us. She also doesn't like it when anyone gives me a hug, although, I think in part she feels left out.

The only other animal she likes is our cat.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

Our newest cat is very cautious when she sees clothes laying on the floor. She doesn't know if it's something alive or not so tests it carefully with her paw.

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

My old dog was afraid of any loud noise. He learned to open the door to the storage building, and he'd hide in there during storms and fireworks. He also disliked people in hats.

My current dog is afraid of everything. It took almost a year to get a collar on him. I put a leash on him for the first time a few weeks ago. He flipped out. He ran across my yard, the neighbors yard, the hill to the highway, across four lanes of traffic, and into the hillside on the opposite side . . . where he got stuck. Took hours for him to calm down. He showed me teeth every time he saw me for a few days.

My ex-husband had a dog who hated the UPS truck. He didn't pay attention to any other vehicles, just the UPS truck.