is working in a non-teaching job hurting me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteach15, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

I just completed my M.A.T. over the summer. While in the program, I worked full-time during the day at my non-teaching related job and went to class at night. Since getting my master's degree, I have been looking for jobs and have applied to over 50 in my area while only receiving four interviews. I am starting to feel discouraged about finding a job for the 2012-2013 school year.

I know a lot of people suggest substituting in the meantime, but I cannot afford to work as a substitute. My current job pays well and has great benefits and I can't just give it up to be a sub. My question is, am I hurting my chances at finding a teaching job while working in an unrelated field while I continue to pursue a teaching career?

3. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

I am in the same boat, in that I did an alternate route to teaching program part time on the weekends, and can't afford to sub right now, so I continue on in my non-teaching job. I have had several interviews but no hires. Some feedback suggests that I was edged out by more experienced teachers, but I can't get more experience without by first job. Rock and a hard place! :( :huh:

4. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Sep 21, 2012

I agree that you are between a rock and a hard place. I started subbing while still in college and then subbed after graduation to try to get a foot in the door. Doing a long term sub right now hoping that will give me some experience to put on my resume. I could not
    afford to sub if I had to support myself. It really is hard for new teachers competing with experienced teachers. Good Luck

5. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

It is important to stay current with education if you are not working in the field. Is there a way to take part in some professional development throughout the year? This way, you can still have current education experience on your resume without leaving a well paying position.

I am not in my own classroom this year, but instead I am subbing and mentoring college athletes at night, and going to grad school. I have had no problem subbing every day, but yes, the pay is not great. One of my classmates suggested trying to sub in her district, since the pay is almost $20 more per day, and the district likes to hire subs for their interim positions.

6. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Sep 24, 2012

You almost have to substitute teach or work in a private school (to get real teaching experience) to get an "in" with school districts. School districts routinely use the sub pool as a hiring pool. I don't think this is fair or reasonable, for only people who are married or people who are living at home with parents can even afford to do it. It is impossible to make a living at substitute teaching.

People need to have their eyes wide open before going into a teaching program. You basically are training to be a temp in school districts unless you have some kind of family connection.

7. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 25, 2012

I am in the same boat. I cannot afford to leave my current job to sub so I don't know what to do. I am planning to ask districts if they would allow me to come in one or two afternoons a week to tutor, but that would be all I can fit in with my current schedule. It breaks my heart that I may never find a teaching job because I have a family to support and cannot afford to quit my job to sub.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 25, 2012

Being current means nothing in my experience. Nothing matters. Actually, if you are pretty, I think that will help you land a job right away.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2012

Keep in mind that when you submit a resume for a job opening, you will be competing against other candidates who have been subbing, working as paras, and teachers who are looking for a new district...all of these will have more experience than you the longer you stay in a non-Ed job.

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 25, 2012

I was in a similar situation. I have one year teaching experience, and have been working for a nonteaching related job for the past year. I had to do it for similiar reasons mentioned in this thread - I am single and do not live with my parents. I think it did hurt me, and I agree that you are up against candidates who are subbing/working as paras. If there's no way you can sub or be a para, I would suggest doing something to stay in the field - possibly volunteering or tutoring. I volunteered while I worked my non education related job and I was just hired today for a part time teaching position.

11. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 25, 2012

That actually gives me some hope. I think the big problem is that paras don't get paid much. I would have to cut my salary in half to work as a para. It's work I would like to do, but it wouldn't pay the bills. Bummer!!! I am going to try to volunteer though.

12. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Sep 25, 2012

awesome! I will keep the faith. I have an interview tomorrow (YAY) so I will stay positive and talk up my volunteer tutoring.

13. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

Same Boat

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm a career changer and received my teacher certification in Oct of 2011. This past summer was the first chance I really had at a summer hiring season. Went on a few interviews, got called back on a few 2nd interviews and did some demo lessons, but didn't get hired (did get some positive feedback though)

Still looking right now, but I can't afford to do subbing. Have a family and our budget is really tight right now :( and that is with me making more money in a non teaching capacity than I could subbing.

My biggest fear is being called in next summer for an interview and being asked what i've been doing since I graduated. This year they were understanding about when I got my teacher certification and understood my situation, I just wonder if next year they will be as understanding. I guess my grades helped (honors) and I have some great letters of reference, but aside from my student teaching, not much in the way of experience.

My plan now is to try and get certified in a few other states other than NJ so at least I have a broader job market to search. I'm on the fence about going for my masters at this point until the teaching thing actually happens for me, but I totally understand what the OP is talking about. I feel the exact same way about what interviews will bring in the future if I'm working a non teaching job this year. If I could afford to sub I would, but the best I can hope for now is to perhaps tutor part time, or maybe even get a para job (been applying to those as well) though I'm not sure what if any difference tutoring will make considering it's not technically classroom teaching :unsure:

14. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

Thanks everyone for the advice. If some current possibilities do not pan out for me, I will start looking into volunteering or tutoring in addition to my current job. While I am married, it is still too hard for me to give up my job, in particular the benefits, that I would have to pay for on my own if I worked as a sub.

15. Socivol

Socivol Rookie

Oct 8, 2012

I was a social worker before getting my MAT. I graduated in May and had a hard time finding a job. I was just recently hired for a teaching position and I wasn't working in a relevant career either. Did you do student teaching? I accomplished a lot in my student teaching placement that I was able to use in interviews (Ex. my kids had a 98% pass rate on the state test) so even though I wasn't teaching I had accomplishments during my student teaching I could incorporate into interviews.

16. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Oct 8, 2012

Congrats!