Is WGU accepted?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Mrs.Christie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Mrs.Christie

Mrs.Christie Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

I have an AA degree and I'd like to complete a BA in elementary ed. with certification. I was all set to enroll in a night program offered through a state college, but I can't start until next fall...then I read about WGU.

I have to admit I'm leery about online universities. I know it is non-profit and accredited, but are you finding that school districts accept their degrees? Specifically WGU's BAs? I would hate to spend the money and time only to find out that no one will hire me because they don't think highly of it.

I plan to call some of the local school districts and speak to HR people about it, but in the meantime sharing your thoughts on the degree acceptance would be most helpful. Thanks!

Oh, btw I live in Seattle, WA and will be looking for employment here as well.

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I have never heard of any problems with alumni getting jobs or our degrees being accepted as any other brick and mortar school would be. there are MANY of our student teachers who are long term subs and teachers of record. I'm student teaching now and my school hopes I will teach there when I am done. I hear that quite often with the students in my cohort seminar.

Most people - from what I've heard/seen with other students/alumni - do not care that we're an online school. Check out the WGU student Hall -- there are a few alumni on there still and will be able to give you a more personal experience.

I would not worry about them not accepting a WGU degree, personally I feel our degree is harder to attain than a regular school's.

4. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Sep 14, 2008

I agree. I called my state DOE to see how it would work for me and they said there would be no problem

5. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Sep 15, 2008

I have a BA from WGU and am teaching 2nd grade in Utah. Not a problem with the degree being accepted.

6. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Sep 15, 2008

They have more accredidations than some brick and mortar schools. They are NCATE accredited, which many "regular" colleges are not. I haven't heard of any problems with WGU students getting jobs.

7. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Sep 15, 2008

if they are ncate accredited you are good! I attend Middle Tennessee State University and they just scored one of the highest scores with NCATE and that means a lot so if they are NcATE accredited then I wouldn't worry.

8. GAswimbikerun

GAswimbikerun New Member

Sep 16, 2008

Do they just admit on a rolling basis? I'm looking at their website and I can't seem to find any kind of deadlines/dates. I am so thankful I found this! I have been lurking on these forums for about a month, just getting some info and ideas into the teaching world. I was planning on "starting" my elem. ed. degree in January (have already completed 3 years at a major university as an english major/biology minor, just got sidetracked and jumped into the working world for the past 2.5 years and have decided it's time to go back for elem. ed.) but I was going to have to commute over 3 hours a day. I believe doing this online would be so much more beneficial. I could work at my own pace (which tends to be a little faster than average) and NO driving! I can also sub as well! I'm so excited I can't stand it!
    Any teachers in Georgia have experience with this program? Has everyone had decent experiences with their student teaching? I'm just worried about a school system being accomodating to an online program...

9. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Sep 16, 2008

The first of every month is when a new "class" will start... I love WGU because I work full time and I do alot of work during my commute.. if you want info from students in GA google WGU student hall... there are students there that can answer some questions,

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 16, 2008

I'm in Georgia...currently in the MAT program. It takes a little bit to get everything in and checked...but once you do...like above poster said...they start every month. I like that.

11. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 15, 2008

For those of you who have finished with your teaching degree, how did it work with your practical experiences? Did the school help you set up student teaching experiences or was that something the student was responsible for?

12. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

All i had to provide WGU was contact information for local schools. They did all the leg work. Its part of your tuition and built into your program, including all of your evaluations.

http://wgu.edu/wgu/demo_teaching_pop.asp

13. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 16, 2008

Thanks, adventuresofJ.

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

No problem. I know there is a lot of iffy-ness about an all online school, but I have had nothing but a positive experience, it was much better than my brick and mortar school experience.

15. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Oct 16, 2008

I agree. I love that I can finish a class in 2 weeks. or a month if I need it. everything can be done around your schedule.

16. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

I graduated from WGU but I got the bachelors and went through alternative certification. I have a friend that was going to do student teaching and they (WGU) set it up. She ended up doing the same thing I did mainly because like myself she couldn't go without a pay check.

17. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 16, 2008

resourcestress, do you mean you had your bachelors before you went to WGU? What was it that you did that your friend also did?

18. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

WGU does offer a program for you to get your BA in educational studies and not have to student teach right away, which allows you to possibly find a job where they will allow you to work while you student teach or do alt. certification. At WGU we do have a few people who were LT subs and did their DT at the same time. Which means they got paid while they were finishing up school.

http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/student/student_baes_resources.asp

Everything but the student teaching.

19. math5

math5 Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

Hi,
    I live in Georgia. I have a BS degree in Mathematics and work as a substitute teacher. However, I would like to teach math full time.
    I am considering enrolling into an online masters program either at WGU or UWG for certification if I do not get hired on a provisional license.
    Can someone tell me if you completed WGU MAT program and is it accepted in Georgia?
    Thank you in advance!

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2016

My administration would not hold WGU in high regard. Sorry :( There still is a negative mindset regarding some non-traditional programs in many districts.

21. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 16, 2016

I looked a bit at Georgia's credentialing requirements, and what I read suggested that for Georgia to accept credential applications from an out-of-state school, the school's credential program had to be recognized and accepted by the home state of the school. WGU is certainly recognized in Utah, so it seems as if you should be okay. Honestly, I would contact Georgia's DOE to clarify.

As czacza implies, a primary consideration may be the impact on your job search. There is a significant math teacher shortage in my area, and I don't think where you get your credential has any impact at all on hiring. WGU was less expensive and faster (because you can start the first of any month) than any other options available, so it has worked out great for me. It really depends on the job situation in your specific area. (I did the WGU Post-Bacc program initially, then returned a couple of years later and completed my MAT in Math Education)

Best of luck.

math5 and waterfall like this.
  22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 16, 2016

I would definitely recommend contacting your state DOE to make sure everything will work out as far as getting your certification. As far as job hunting, local people will probably be able to give you better information about your area. I've been on hiring committees in two different schools and where the candidate went to school never came up in either one. We're definitely looking for people that know their stuff and seem like they would be a good fit for our school, not people who have something that looks nice on paper. I went to a tiny private school with an excellent education program, but no one has ever heard of it, especially now that I teach in a different state. I've had no problem getting interviews in the past and never been asked anything about where I went to school in interviews. The fact that I was well prepared stood out regardless of name recognition for the school.

math5 likes this.
  23. math5

math5 Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Thank you for your replies.
    Could you please answer a few more questions...
    How did you accomplish your student teaching through WGU? Did they help you with finding the school district for you to student teach in?
    Many thanks!

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 18, 2016

We had a student teacher from WGU in my building this year. In her case, she had attended our school as an elementary student and she contacted our school and asked to be placed with one of her favorite former teachers who still teaches in our building. It sounded like she had to set everything up herself. I also had someone do some observation hours with me from WGU last year and as far as I know she contacted our school secretary herself. It's possible they will try to help you out if you're having trouble getting a placement. I would definitely ask about that before enrolling.

math5 likes this.
  25. math5

math5 Rookie

Jun 18, 2016

Many thanks, anon55 and waterfall!
    I definitely want to enroll in WGU or another college in Georgia that offers almost 100% online classes. However, I see that that the programs are different even though both programs are MAT in Mathematics education. I am not sure which one to enroll into...
    I like the flexibility that WGU offers.
    Can someone tell me how long did it approximately take you to complete your MAT program at WGU?
    What were the classes like? How much work was it?
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2016

Any offers?

27. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 18, 2016

As I mentioned earlier, I completed my credential first, which I had to do student teaching for, and then completed my MAT in MathEd later, so for that I used my own students to complete the fieldwork. (With my principal's blessing)

The Post-Bacc credential part took me a year. I had to arrange my own observations, which I was able to do pretty easily. Student teaching, as I recall, they asked me for contact info for two or three different districts. I gave them two, one a tiny K-8 district and the other a large unified (K-12). They got a hold of the tiny district easily, while the large district never phoned back, although I knew of at least 2 WGU students who had been placed at the large district. So, that was a mistake on my part, because as far as WGU was concerned, I was placed. The student teaching was fine, but I wasn't set up with a good network of connections the way I would have been if I had been placed at the big district.

Happily, I ended up with a job in the big district anyway, but if you go with WGU, think carefully and strategically about which districts you suggest to them.

As far as the MAT goes, it took me a year to complete, and that was while I was working full-time. The coursework included a lot of math classes, which were pretty easy (for me) to get through quickly, then a capstone that involved teaching a unit to one of my classes, and that had a lot of components to it and took me longer to finish up. Because I had done the Post-Bacc already, I think I placed out of one or two classes for the MAT, so that helped me finish in a year as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

28. MSJOJO915

MSJOJO915 New Member

Mar 14, 2017

Hi! What district are you in?

29. MSJOJO915

MSJOJO915 New Member

Mar 15, 2017

Where are you located?