Is University of Phoenix on-line worth the effort?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachm123, Aug 20, 2007.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I renew my teaching license in 2008 and have 12 CEUs so far. I thought about doing the on-line course and was wondering if any of you have gone this route. It would be a 3 week course for around $400. What are your thoughts and experiences?

3. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I took a 3 week Social Studies class this past spring. I was up for renewal as well. I kinda waited until the last moment, so it was great for me...BUT TONS of work to cram into 3 weeks. My final project was to pick a topic and write an entire unit, I chose Community Helpers for Kindergarten. This was a project that was presented to you at the beginning of the course, so you had the entire 3 weeks to work on it, BUT in addition to the other course work.

I tend to go on and on, I hope I helped.

The University people that I had to work with were very friendly and I had an overall positive experience and I received an A!

:)

Good Luck!

4. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

For one course, that sounds good. It is very convenient. You most likely will have to work with an online group. Hopefully you don't mind that and get a great group.

Just make sure the credits are transferable.

Also, are you sure you still have to take classes to renew your credential? Very recently, this requirement was changed in CA. I think CA teachers just pay the renewal fee online now and don't have to take any additional courses when they renew.

Be sure that $400 includes total costs. They might charge you another $65 to use the online resources, such as the library and class materials.

I'd make a list of all the options and take it from there. Actual classes are more fun for me, but not as convenient. You have to figure out what you prefer.

5. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I had to pay extra, I think $75, can't remember, to use the online library. We also did tons of group work.

6. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

If it's ok three weeks and within your budget, why not? I've taken several online courses. It's a lot of work with the posting requirements and what not.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 23, 2007

You need to check the accreditation. I was told by two different people at the state dept. of Ed that U of Phoenix was not accepted by them.

8. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I HATED working with UOP. They were super expensive with all the hidden fees, you had to log in at god-awful hours and every day, and there was an excruciating amount of work and typing to make up for "not being in class." I quit after three classes and went the normal brick and mortar college route.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2007

Online Masters not acceptable in my district.

10. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

I took a 3 week course through U of P and I liked it! I got 3 grad credits that I am using toward my license renewal. The $400 does not include books. Yes, it can be intense and you do feel like you are on the computer all the time. But for me, it was worth it to not have to be away from my family, drive a distance, find parking, and take a 10 week class.

11. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I would check at around at state universities too. Many of them have online classes and programs. Also lots of teacher workshops offer the option of credit. ASCD has lots of online professional development, you might see if any of them can be grad credits as well.

12. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I took 6 credits through them. I would NOT do it again. It was not the amount of work (which is a lot-these 3 week courses are crammed full of tons of stuff, you are expected to do a lot, including PP presentations and papers). It was the group projects. Awful. They do NOT tell you that you are expected to work with people all over the country in different time zones on a project that is a big chunk of your grade. My group turned out to be awful, so I got permission to do it by myself but I had to do triple what the others did. I do not even know if they ever did do it. My one class had the worst excuses for not doing their assignments, from being on a boat trip to having to coach something. They were like kids in junior high. Life happens, but do not sign up for a shortened course if you are going to be away on a boat. :confused:

I do have to say my one professor was wonderful. The other one was good, just not as into it as the other one.

Oh and yeah, there are fees for the books, whether you download them or have a hard copy.

And definitely check with your state to make sure they are allowed. The credits also may not transfer to another school if you need that down the road.

13. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

Thank you all for your input. I've decided not to do it. With a 4 yr. old and a 2 1/2 yr. old, I don't have much time to spend on the computer. I'm hoping to take some workshops this fall and winter. Thanks again.

14. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

Wow, how is that? Many programs hold the correct accrediation, how can they be denied? The UOP online is an extension of their traditional school. It doesn't say online on the transcript so how is it denied.

15. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 24, 2007

UOP is not a brick and mortar school (although I just checked and it has a campus location in almost every state). There's no need for the transcript to say "online" since UOP is known as an online school.

Honestly, I never understood why people opt for UOP when there are many brick and mortar universities that offer night classes or online programs.

16. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

There is an actual UOP that the online campus is extended.... NOT satelite sites but an actual university.

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 24, 2007

Not accepted at my college.

Why not opt for an intensive course instead? A full semester crammed into two weeks is hard, but it only lasts two weeks. I took as many as I could; it was just easier in the long run since I had two babies and a husband who was also in grad school.

For some of the classes the students took their babies with them and set up a little "nursery" in the back of the room. As long as there were no screamers, it worked GREAT! If you have a screamer, don't bring him/her, though. NOT fair to the others.

For my Child Psychology class, we used our children as examples, demonstrations, etc.

At IU, intensives were set up to accommodate parents. When I went, they were, anyway.

18. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

When I checked into it, I discovered that I cannot use University of Phoenix toward any type of certifications in Texas. I am wanting to work toward an Educational Leadership Masters, and ended up looking into Abilene Christian University, which has an online program.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

UOP is known to be an online service. Also trying to slip in a class that was online just because it doesn't say 'online on the transcript' would be just a little unprofessional, don't you think?

In my district you need course approval before taking professional development classes for movement on the salary guide. It's part of our contract. They do not like online programs of study PERIOD. I'm sure that there are valuable online learning opportunities....it's best to check with your district though before enrolling in them to make sure they will accept the credits. Also if a teacher was not yet employed by a district and was seeking a masters I would suggest they NOT take an online course of study as MANY districts (at least in my area) are not going to look as highly on them as 'in person' courses of study.
    As a matter of fact, at one point when UOP was starting to offer classes in NJ, Phoenix needed a license from the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education. But the university's application was vehemently opposed by the dept of ed and the application was pulled back temporarily. Changes were made and now UOP operates in NJ. The American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business calls UOP "McEducation", questioning "whether it is really higher education when it's delivered in a franchised way"... I'm not taking a stand on UOP- I'm sure there are many teachers who have found their offerings valuable...I just think educators should be aware of the bias against such programs that exists in the larger community.

20. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

Many of your post have such a negative tone to it. :down:

First of all, I NEVER said anything about slipping in a class. I said, if a transcript doesn't read ONLINE.....

If your district is behind the times regarding distance education that's unfortunate. I wonder would they reject, just as you have, the online education Masters from UPENN.

The point is, if the accrediation agency, the same who gives accrediation to public schools, accept UOP and the like, who are they to say it's unacceptable.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

JV- Who is being negative here? I'm simply saying my district and MANY in my area do not look highly or do not accept online programs. PERIOD. I provided the additional information so those who are considering such programs are aware of the bias that exists. I said several times it was not MY bias, but it is a perception that exists, whether or not it's warranted, the bias exists and you can't argue against it.

You didn't say 'slip in a class', but you did say 'it doesn't say online on the transcript so how is it denied?' as well as "First of all, I NEVER said anything about slipping in a class. I said, if a transcript doesn't read ONLINE....." A lot can be read into that dot dot dot ellipses- if I misinterpreted it, sorry. If a class of UOP is not online it might be accepted, my district simpy doesn't accept online classes. They would know it's online because we submit detailed paperwork to have classes approved... You also misinterpreted my point. UOP is known to be an online program, classes have to be preapproved in my district (which a course description attached so that would list the online component) and that it is the policy of many many districts (look back at some of the other responses here saying their districts have the same guidelines) . You may consider it behind the times- you're entitled to that opinion- I'm not questioning your opinion or passing judgement on it. I'm simply offering a caveat that administrators and school boards do not necessarily accept online programs and that it is something to consider.

22. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

You put your bias into what I stated. Again, if that's what you read, that's your own fault. I NEVER implied anything. I asked how and you reply that your district required pre-approval. Other than that, there was NOTHING to it. I don't appreciate you stating I would implying anythng unethical. PERIOD.

23. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

In my district you have to put in course paperwork for approval if you want PD credits for movement on the salary scale. They want official paperwork showing the course description, meeting dates, graduate or inservice credit infomation and the University or College name. Most of these would include information denoting whether it is an online course.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

The University of Phoenix is the only online program that I have been told there is a problem with in my area. In fact my district has already accepted 2 online courses I have taken for graduate courses.

26. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 25, 2007

How do you find out if your district accepts online degrees?

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 25, 2007

Your school board office should have someone in charge of teacher licensing. (My district is small so lots of double dipping on the titles.) Just call your central office and speak to this person, they can let you know what you district chooses to accept.

28. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

I agree that there is a bias against online courses--whether it's fair or not, there are people--the people who hire people--who look down on such degrees.

In Education, I would be very careful how many online classes I took, since much of what we do is centered around interpersonal communication, and that face-to-face time is so valuable.

I took one online class as an elective during my master's program. It was fine, but not super. I probably wouldn't take another one. I really craved the structure of having a real class with real people in it.

29. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 26, 2007

There is a big difference between a college that offers some courses online, or hybrid, and a college that is entirely online itself.

30. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 26, 2007

I took a few on-line classes, through a community college. I found the classes to be similar to regular classes, some good/some bad, some easy/some difficult. The classes were a semester long and required papers, projects, and discussions. I would select classes as I did regular classes- the quality of the teacher. On-line classes are accepted in my community. Although U of P units are accepted by our licensing agency for preschool teachers, my licensing agent suggested I advise my teachers not use U of P. She felt the quality of the courses were not the same as other college courses.