Is this year easier, harder, or similar to other years for you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Apr 18, 2015.

?

Is this year easier, harder, or similar compared previous years?

1. Easier

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Harder

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Similar

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. This is my first year teaching

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

I've seen a number of people post that this year has been the hardest year that they've ever had while teaching. I'd like to post a survey to see how many people think this year is easier, harder, or the same as previous years. Feel free to comment. Consider any factors you'd like, such as students, admin, testing, etc.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

Much harder than any other year. I'm dealing with one of the worst parents in the history of my school district, and have a very difficult group of boys behaviorally. Thank god I have a sweet group of girls, or I'd probably lose my mind.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 18, 2015

It's more work, but it's easier than my previous 2 years teaching. This is because I'm at a school that's a perfect fit for me, and in a grade level I've discovered I love. I'm very happy.

5. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 18, 2015

Much harder for me as well. We used to have 3 tracks of math for alg 1, geometry, and alg 2: a high track, a regular track, and a low track. (Don't want to give the specific names of the tracks.) This year we got rid of the low track, and somehow decided that the kids who were in low track should be able to handle regular track so they are ready for state testing. Most of the kids who would have been in low track ended up in my class, and somehow I am expected to get these kids to perform at a level way above their ability. I have never failed a kid for the year EVER before, but this year, I might end up with at least 6 failing for the year. I predicted this would happen with these kids as well, but you know how that goes. Needless to say, I don't have the happiest parents to deal with either.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2015

This year is pretty similar to most of my years. I have great kids, I love my school and I love my grade level. I am in a new grade level, but it's been a natural transition.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 18, 2015

Harder. I have so many more sped students than any other year. It's been very challenging. Next year is back to normal though.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 18, 2015

We've implemented a ton of changes at the school and grade level at once, and not all of them have been successful. There has been a lot of last-minute patches to coursework and assessments. Policy changes mid-year are rough.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2015

I'm at a new school and my time with the kids is similar, but it's not going well with the other teachers. It's harder dealing with how much unpaid work is expected now that I have a baby at home.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 18, 2015

Harder. Much harder.

With the push for social promotion hitting its height here a few years back, I have more students that are simply unable to perform in a high school classroom. Last week I had two students tell me that I didn't understand the system - they WILL be promoted to 10th grade because they've NEVER been held back even though they failed every grade since 2nd. Students like these rather spend their time disrupting class than trying to learn.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2015

I had a really hard time answering this question. It's been a mixed bag, I suppose.

In terms of behavior issues, I've had a really easy year. I've been able to get through more content this year than I've ever gotten through before. It's at the point now where I am well beyond anything I've ever taught at each level, and we still have almost two months of school left! I'm planning to ride out the year with lots of the fun activities that I don't always get around to.

Although I was expecting to have a hard time with my state's new teacher evaluation, that turned out to be pretty easy as well. The hardest part was signing all 17 pages of my final evaluation.

Where it's been a struggle for me is mostly inside my own mind. I am terribly burned out. I've been approaching burn-out status for a few years now, and I think it has finally hit me. Because of that, I made the decision to move into a different type of position at a different school next year. I'm excited about the change and it has been giving me some extra energy to get through the end of the year this year.

In the end, I voted "easier".

12. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 18, 2015

My year has been easier because in adult Ed we don't have to deal with standardize testing and such....at least not my class. Financially it has been harder...(I am part time hourly at 16hrs a week) but as far as students, admins, and teaching in general it's been easier.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2015

I voted "similar".

Behavior wise- for the last three years I had angels, my first year teaching I had very, very difficult kids. So these kids are more difficult than my recent kids, but certainly not the most difficult kids I've worked with.

School- my school is great. I work with amazing teachers and the meetings/paperwork portion of it is really quite minimal. In previous years I've had lots of issues with my school, so this is refreshing.

In summary- kids aren't anywhere near angels, but the school and staff are wonderful.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 18, 2015

I have an excellent class this year that has gelled very well. They have excellent internal motivation, which is so exciting. I've had a rough last few months, personally, so it's been nice to have a class that isn't draining all my energy at work.

15. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

This is my second year of teaching, and it has been much easier. The behavior problems were easier to deal with than they were at my old school, because of parent involvement (and IMO a lack of poverty). On the other hand, parents were much more difficult to deal with. We have some overly concerned helicopter parents, which at first I thought would be a nice change considering the not-at-all involved (or negligent) parents I had last year. I think both extremes are difficult in their own way.

16. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 18, 2015

This year has been, unique. It's not harder, it's not easier, and it's not really similar but I voted similar in that was the best option in what I see as the big picture of this year.

I started at a new school, in a new grade, with new challenges.

The kids and parents are great, as previously this was always a challenge.

I now had to collaborate with 3 teachers when I always worked solo. However in the middle of the year, I became a solo artist holding it down, nothing was consistent with what other teacher was in my room with me, and when they were there.

Also while this school has resources, I'm still mostly left to my own devices curriculum wise where I can teach how I want and not strictly to a curriculum. Same as other places I've taught.

Although the one decent change, is meaningful PD. All the PD I've recieved up until now had nothing to do with what I was teaching because my previous school would focus on early childhood and that's not what I taught.

So yeah, unique for sure.

17. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 18, 2015

Harder for me.

I am in my first year at a new school which is very different from my previous one. It is bigger, staff morale seems worse, and many of my departmental colleagues are bitter, negative, and judgmental.

I am the only teacher of my subject in the building (and district). The person I took over for was, frankly, not doing a lot of teaching. It is hard to re-establish the culture of my program as being academically serious rather than the goofy blowoff it had been.

However, I think that in another two years I will have things turned around. Plus, the kids are nice (though lazy).

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2015

Harder because of being burned out and no real personal motivation this year. In regards to the job itself, there is no difference from previous years - same problems, same headaches.

19. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 20, 2015

Mine's been harder, but I am teaching in a new setting this year.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2015

Mine is very different. On one hand, I have the smallest class I've ever had. I also don't have any students with IEPs or service plans. That makes lesson planning and coordinating schedules and things MUCH easier. However, this has been the hardest year I've ever had behavior wise (with the exception of my first year). I have a much higher percentage or students with a lot less parental support than usual, so a lot more issues with missing homework, lost papers, etc.

On a personal level, I was dealing with severe morning sickness and nausea for three months. I've also been feeling on the edge of burn out lately, and that, coupled with worries about being able to do this well next year with a baby at home, really had me in a funk for a while. Thankfully, we've been able to work out a part-time position that will be in a new grade level, which I think will be very refreshing.

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 20, 2015

I switched back to a regular classroom this year after a few years in sped. While it's not any "easier" to teach second grade, the lack of tedious paperwork and other case-management tasks, combined with the time to do my own teaching, combined with not having to supervise any paras directly has made my work life a million times less stressful (I'll consider that "easier" for the purposes of this poll)!

22. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 20, 2015

It's easier by far.

this quote (author unknown) pretty well sums it up. "The problem isn't the problem. Your attitude about the problem is the problem". I have changed my attitude about the "problem".

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2015

This year has been, by far, the easiest year I have ever had in my career (40+ years). I am in a small private school where everyone feels like family. I have the SPED class from heaven, supportive parents, equally supportive staff, and a great schedule. No standardized testing, easy to use curriculum, etc. Couldn't be in a better place right now.

24. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 20, 2015

No standardized testing! Man... that would be nice! I feel like my entire month is owned by testing right now.

25. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 20, 2015

I voted easier.
    LCAP spending has reduced class size from 30 something down to 25.
    No major behavior problems, no testing in second grade (yay), one-to-one devices (while roll out has been HORRIBLE and a serious lack of bandwidth, i feel that I can justify more "experimental" time on the devices as we all try and figure them out!), a new teacher who has been so fun and wonderful jolt of freshness to my team...super great year.
    There have been stresses--union is imploding, new SUP who has shaken things up in good and also bad ways, principal being put on leave with no closure to us the teachers or students, but overall, I have had a great year.:)