Is this wrong of me??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TampaTeacher2Be, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

So, I posted on here a few weeks ago that I got a job offer.

Well, since then, there has been nothing but drama. First, there was an issue with my references - one of my references had sent in a letter rather than filling out the specific form. Then, something was wrong with my certification information - the HR dept. "lost" my paperwork stating I had passed one of my subject area exams. I spent all week, not being able to sub (i.e. no $$ coming in) driving back and forth across town to processing, driving to my references to beg them to fill out the correct form, etc. Periodically, I checked in with the school (once every 2 days) to let them know where I was in the process, that I was still interested, etc. A few times I was able to get the P's secretary on the phone, but I also left a few messages - that weren't returned. Which, fine, doesn't bother me: I understand that the school is very busy, especially with FCATs right around the corner.

However, I got the distinct impression that they were not pleased with the fact that there was a hold-up with processing my application. My offer to come sub for the school in the position that I would eventually be holding was rebuffed. My suggestion that perhaps the school would prefer to call my references directly, rather than me having to drive all over creation to get them (potentially shaving 2-3 days off the time I needed to get my application complete) was also met with a "Let me ask the P and call you back." To which I received no response. By the end of last week, I had the distinct feeling "wow - it feels like this school is trying to blow me off."

Well, I feel bad, but in my defense, it really wasn't my fault. When I looked at my app online, it appeared that everything was on the up and up. However, it was only once someone tried to hire me that all these "problems" emerged.

Fast forward to Monday of this week. I get the A-OK from HR that my application is rock solid, ready to go. I call the school to let them know. The P's secretary's response: I will submit the request to HR and let you know when your paperwork is ready to pick up.

Fast forward to this morning, and I have yet to hear one peep from the school. :whistle: I called about an hour ago, and was told the P's secretary was not in today. When I mentioned that I was the newly hired teacher, calling to find out if my packet was back from HR, the icy response I got was "I don't know anything about that. You will have to call back when (P's secretary) is here."

So, here is the "is this wrong of me?" part:

Is it wrong of me that I am going on another job interview (different school, same district) this afternoon??? Those that I have asked IRL seem to think this is fine. I however, am worried about politics and concerned that I might be burning a bridge here.

One one hand, if this first school is giving me the blow off, I have to look out for #1 first and foremost. Being courteous and giving this first school as much time as they need to blow me off isn't going to pay my bills. That I shoudl keep interviewing until I have actually signed a contract and have a confirmed start date.

However, on the other hand, I am really concerned about making a horrible impression on both P's if it looked like I strung the other school along for two weeks, only to flip-flop at the last minute and accept a position with another school. My district is huge, but small at teh same time. All of the P's know each other. And they talk - a lot. If these two P's thought what I did was shady, it would definitely get around the district.

What do you guys think?

3. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

I say as long as you have not signed a contract go to the other job interview. Personally, I would be feeling hesitant to work at the first school. They have gave you the run around, I understand they may see it as your fault, but you filled out the application to the best of your knowledge.

My vote is go to the job interview.

4. palla

palla Companion

Mar 11, 2009

If you haven't signed a contract, you should keep your options open. So, yes, I would go on the interview.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2009

As you said, you have to look out for #1 and without a signed contract for school A, I would go ahead and go to the interview for school B. If it comes up, just let them know what you have told us here.

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 11, 2009

In the "H" district, it's unlikely that these P's would even know each other. Go to the other interview. It sounds like school #1 is blowing you off, IMHO. You need to look out for yourself.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 11, 2009

No signed contract? I keep looking.

But one thing stuck out to me... if you want the job YOU do the work. I wouldn't have told THEM to call your references. I would have done that work without passing the responsibility on. It MAY have put a bitter taste in their mouths. - Just thinking out loud.

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2009

Congratulations on getting the job either way!

9. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

I just got back from the interview at school B. It went really well. The P even asked if I was available to sub tomorrow, because the teacher that this opening would be replacing is not set to go on Maternity leave for another week, but she actually went into labor at school today!

McKenna, I thought that too - I initially didn't want to even ask them if they would check my references, but HR planted the seed in my brain - b/c if the school checks them, HR will accept them faxed in, whereas if they are not coming from the school, they must be either hand delivered or mailed in. So I tried to word it as nicely as I could "Would you prefer I track down the reference forms, which may take me a few days, or would you prefer to contact them directly?" I know (at least in the corporate world) sometimes they don't care about letters - they want to actually talk to the person.

But yeah, I totally don't blame them for blowing me off - I mean ultimately it was my responsibility to make sure my application was complete. I'm just angry that my application was showing up in their system as "active" when it obviously shouldn't have been, because it was incomplete.

Well, I guess whatever happens, now I have done all the leg work so I know my application is ready to go for the 09-10 hiring season.

10. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

Wow, with this Florida teacher job market I'm impressed-1 job offer AND an interview. Care to share your tips?? I would go on the interview if there is no signed contract. You never know what might happen. The principal may leave and you'd be stuck! I've learned that admin's word doesn't mean ANYTHING the hard way!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

Congrats on the first job offer and the great interview today! I hopeit all works out for you...and I'm glad that you looked out for yourself in this case. Its hard sometimes, but you just have to!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

I hope that everything works out for you and I'm glad your interview today went well.

13. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

You said FCAT is right around the corner. Actually FCAT is this week and next. That may be why nobody is getting back to you right away.