Is this wrong for me to do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

My school uses a different math program then what I have used before. (I have used Everyday Math). So anyway, I bought a 5th grade edition off of EBay to use as a reference. Is that ok to do or would I be crossing a line or something?

I just wanted to use it to give students different methods if I found that methods provided by their texts were lacking.

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

I say it's right to do. Go you for putting in the extra effort to supplement your own program. I would say many schools would encourage you to incorporate your own stuff, as long as you are following the standards and using their curriculum as a primary resource. I know I certainly do this in all subjects.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

I always pull from a variety of resources. It's not only acceptable, it's expected.

My department chairman left me 2 algebra books, donated by a local college-- I have no idea how that happened, but I'm always glad for the extra materials. I pick up extra textbooks anywhere and everywhere I can, from garage sales to sample texts from the publishers.

Big picture: we're looking to educate our kids. Loyalty to a particular product or resource is secondary to that main goal.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

If all kids learned learned everything from exactly one source, we'd all be out of a job. You should always look for ways to supplement what you're doing in the classroom.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

I think it is what you are supposed to do - unless your school is a place where everyone is supposed to be on the same page at the same time and even then, you could use the extra stuff for the teaching part ;)

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2009

Just make sure that is not all you use.
    My district picks which text they will adopt and we are expected to use it. I use other things, but I do incorporate the adopted series a lot.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

As long as you're just supplementing your school-mandated material, it shouldn't be a problem. They should be happy to have a teacher who cares enough to go to such lengths to teach the kids!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

I think it's great that you are finding something that you are comfortable with, because it will make you a better teacher. I would probably follow the sequence of the school-selected text and then pull or even wholly use sources to fill out that lesson!

10. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks for the feedback!
    I'm definitely going to use the program that the school chose and just pull some things from Everyday Math to help.

I can't believe the first day of school is tomorrow!
    EEK!

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

I bought Everyday Math as well off Ebay to supplement the math program I have yet to see or will probably get come the first day of school. My School encouraged using other sources. So it couldnt hurt!

12. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

We use Everyday Math where I teach and we are not supposed to supplement, but we all do anyway. There is not just one way to teach a concept. The bottom line is that I am there to teach/help students, and I will help my students by whatever means I can find out there.

So... to answer your question...YES, go for it!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 7, 2009

Heavens, no, you are NOT crossing the line! :) I supplement to eternity. No worries.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

I've never seen a program in any subject that I thought was comprehensive enough or had all the elements I needed. We got a bunch of sample kits for math because our district was previewing for a new adoption - I kept all those TE's and workbooks in case there were things in there I could use (they were going to be discarded).