Is this typical pay for these types of substitutes?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by sunshine*inc, Apr 17, 2010.

1. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 17, 2010

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2010

WOW! :woot: They're really desperate here! I've NEVER seen pay like this for any sub anywhere. Mapquest directions say it takes an hour 1-way from my home. For that pay, it's almost worth it. It may just be temporary, but I say if anyone can do it, enjoy it while it lasts.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2010

Are they anticipating a strike?

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2010

It looks like this is to replace teachers while they are on strike. I would not do it. Do not betray your fellow teachers by stepping over the picket line and filling the classrooms.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2010

Someone actually started a similiar thread in another section asking what they should do regarding trying to get a permanent teaching job at the district/school where teachers are striking. Most people at the time posted that one's financial situation is the top priority & although it would of course be nice to be loyal to fellow teachers, if a person needs to work for a living & pay bills & put food on the table, then they should do what they have to do.

7. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 17, 2010

I'm not considereing subbing there but was just curious if it was typical to pay replacement substitutes that type of pay versus our regular day-to-day sub pay. Hopefully they'll be able to avoid a strike so there won't be any disruption for the students. The district I sub in most will not be cutting any certificated employees next year.

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

IMO usually not. Day to day sub jobs in our area (a high cost of living area), are usually between $110 - $140 per day; long term ones (after about the 21st day) will ger to up to around $300 or so a day.

I've seen ads for replacement subs at another school district anticipating labor action that are higher than the usual per diem, so I am not surprised.

9. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 19, 2010

Fellow teachers? When did the teacehrs ever considers us sub as teachers?

I'd say to the subs. Go for it if you can commute.

10. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 19, 2010

People trying to put food on the table and a roof over their head via an honest earning is not betrayal. As far as loyalty goes, should a sub who is seeking a regular teaching job not take the job if it becomes open after laying off someone else? ECON 101 says, doing so would be equivalent to stoopid.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2010

Long-term subs make $300/day? Like $6,000/month? Like $54,000/year? For real? :eek:

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 19, 2010

Well Cassie if you factor in the high cost of living, then it makes sense why the pay rate is the way it is. However, there are some districts that pays you much less than that.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2010

I guess I still don't get it, even with the COL factored in. I live in an extremely high COL area and that's more money than many full-time teachers here make.

It seems totally exorbitant to me.

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 19, 2010

NO! WOW! That is amazing! Here substitutes make $12.92 per hour if they have teaching credentials...If they are a student teacher it is around $9 an hour.

Long terms, must be licensed and make an extra hours pay starting the fifth day.

Oh, and if I had to put food on the table, pay my bill etc, just plain keep myself from being homeless I'd cross a picket line. I told a group of EAs who went on a walkout last year, that I supported what they were doing but couldn't join them...I defended the actions of those not joining. The ones who had no leave. The ones who had children to feed and bills to pay and were not blessed with a savings or another financial supporter.

By crossing that line the students will still be educated, and the temp will be able to prove him/herself as a viable candidate for a future job.

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

Well, in the area we are - SF Bay Area - the cost of living is in the stratosphere...so it doesn't go a long way...

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2010

Subber, glad you agree!

17. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 20, 2010

I totally agree with you JackTrader.

18. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

19. collteach

collteach Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

Remember.....

I understand where people are coming from in saying that they would cross the picket lines to make the amount of money. However, if you are seeking permanent employment, do not forget that often the same teachers who will KNOW you crossed the line could be sitting in on your interview and have a say in your hiring.

I also understand that many substitutes feel snubbed by teachers, but I have met many more teachers who respect me and my teaching experience (I was a full-time teacher, took a year off after I had my son, and now I am subbing). If I lived in a state that allowed unions, you can bet I would support the teachers if they went on strike (considering our teachers make less than $60,000 after 30 years of teaching).