Is this the fault of AESOP, the district, or just bad luck?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, May 3, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 3, 2011

I feel I should have been working today, but instead I am sitting home $125 poorer.

I got a call from Aesop at about 5:45AM, notifying me that I am the preferred substitute for a job.
    I immediately clicked on "1" to hear about it, but was told the job was no longer available.
    I just checked my e-mail messages to discover the job was for a 1st grade class where the teacher always requests me.

Apparently, although I was designated as the first choice, AESOP first made it generally available and someone else nabbed it.

This has never happened before. How narrow a window is there for someone else to sneak in and get a job when someone else is designated as the first choice?

Shouldn't AESOP have waited until after I was called to offer it to the general sub pool?

I welcome other comments from those who understand the system.

3. azure

azure Companion

May 3, 2011

I agree that AESOP should give the teacher's preferred subs at least a few minutes before posting the job to the general sub pool. However, at 5:45 a.m. I think their primary concern is filling the job. I don't know if that's something that the individual districts can control or not.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2011

It seems like the fault lies w/ both the district for how they do things AND bad luck or maybe bad timing. To my knowledge, I've never been asked to do a job to have someone else swipe it out from under me. If I'm requested, I'm asked first. Then, if I can't do it, they find someone else.

I feel for you, I know it's just about the end of the school yr when us subs are trying to get as many jobs as we can before school's out. I'm glad I've been working daily M-F since we returned from Christmas vacation & I'm working all the way to the last day of school, May 25th.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 3, 2011

I know that some teachers have more than 1 preferred sub. Maybe the job was available to all the preferred subs at once? I don't really know. Most teachers usually just call me and ask me if I want the days.

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 3, 2011

I believe that the job becomes available to all persons on the teacher's preferred list online. Another substitute who is also on the list likely accepted the assignment before you did. I wonder, though, if the job was posted online for anyone to accept since it was the morning of. Either way, I know it's disappointing.
    Another district I sub in uses SmartFind Express which calls one sub at a time. While it's calling you, no one else can accept it online.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 3, 2011

I believe each teacher can list five preferred subs, but since I have subbed in this class six times this year, and have been called directly by the teacher three times to inquire about my availability in advance, I had presumed I was first on her list.

I am guessing that AESOP does not call or post the job for preferred subs based on the order of preference, but will make the job available to all preferred subs simultaneousely.
    If so , someone else probably probably nabbed the job on line just seconds before I pressed "1" on my phone to accept.

I hope it was not merely a mistake. I have lost thousands of dollars subbing over the last 14 years due to mistakes of others and myself.

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 5, 2011

I think other preferred subs grabbed it

if the job was available to all preferred subs. In my experience, if I hesitate even for a minute, the preferred sub goes off right away.

Anyway..this morning I lose a plum kindy job because my daughter came to check weather on the computer the same time as the sub job came up...ugh...now I will be home all day. My horrible bad luck..

thesub

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 5, 2011

I almost got burned big time again this morning, but got a little lucky.

I clicked on a late AESOP job online at 7:45 for a roving assignment.
    I called the school to tell them I should be there by 8:30, but unfortunately it was not the office manager who got my call.

When I got to the job site, the office manager said she knew nothing about the job and that it does not exist. When I called the AESOP system from the school to prove I did indeed click on a job and was not delusional, the job was gone.
    Somehow it got cancelled soon after I got it, But who in the heck put the job in the system, and how did the office manager not know about it?

I was especially concerned because five minutes before clicking on this phantom job, I called the sub tech at my higher paying district to have her keep me in mind if something late pops up.

I was afraid I was going to lose $140 from this other district because someone goofed and offered me a non-existent job elsewhere.

Fortunately, I got bailed out because I called the system from the mistake school and there was another late job available.

It is still frustrating, however, that we have a job where someone else can make a mistake, and we lose money because of it without any recourse.