Is This T-shirt Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sagette, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 10, 2008

A boy in my class (3rd grade) came in today wearing a shark shirt with the phrase "Bite Me" in the middle of shark teeth. I get that it was a souvenir, but I found it inappropriate for school. It caused quite a few adults to do a double take and a few of them were surprised that this student's parents allowed him to wear the shirt to school. When I told my husband, he didn't think anything of it. Has anyone seen these t-shirts? What do you think? Are the ok for school?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

I've seen them, and I'm about half-way between you and your husband. While I don't think it was the best choice for school, I also don't see any reason to get in a tizzy over it. I've seen much worse.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

I would have let the P decide if it was OK for the day. Either way, I would have sent a note that it wasn't ok for school in the future. I would guess that my P would ask them to wear a jacket over it for the day or for a parent to bring something else.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 10, 2008

I wouldn't let MY children wear it to school, but tend to be a bit more conservative. I don't even have children yet and I just wouldn't allow it. That is a Saturday playground shirt. If it ever came out of his mouth that shirt would be gone.

I don't think I would contact the parents about it though, our policy states no drugs, alcohol or sex on clothing. That statement ranks up their with "Boys are whatever" or "Flirt" on kindergarteners. ICK!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2008

My kids would NOT be wearing it!!!

My school has a uniform, so I have no idea how far is too far in the "What not to Wear" department.

But you've got to wonder what on earth the parents were thinking!

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 10, 2008

I guess I'm jaded because of where I work. I've seen an awful lot worse than that. I am, however, with the rest of you in that my kids would be required to burn the shirt rather than bring it into my house.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

Mine wouldn't wear it.

I saw a 5th grader playing after school with a shirt that said "WTF" in big letters on the front and nothing on the back.

9. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Nov 10, 2008

I made one of my 3rd grade girls turn her "save a horse ride a cowboy" shirt inside out. Wish I had caught it before the field trip started.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2008

I have seen this shirt...actually we got one as a hand me down, but all the teeth are pretty much missing, so it wouldn't be worn to school. We use it for a play shirt.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 10, 2008

Ok I am in the minority but I don't think it is that bad. Knowing that there is much worse out there I think this is rather tame.

12. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

Are the parents mad?

Yes, the wording with the shark can mean one thing, but the play of words certainly mean something else, and the parents knew that. That is why the forked over the money for the shirt.

Never see anything like that in our household. Kids buy it with their own money. Too bad, into the garbage.

13. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Nov 11, 2008

I had a shirt just like that from La Jolla. It was a souvenir from a family vacation. Granted, I was a little bit older, but I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly. And I'm pretty touchy about t-shirt slogans and inappropriate things on kids... I wouldn't let my own kids wear half of what I got away with growing up.

14. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Nov 11, 2008

As I was walking down the hall the other day, I saw one of our 5th graders (I teach 1st) wearing a shirt that said:

"Remind me of your name again in the morning..."

I had to do a double-take and even then I couldn't believe that his parent(s) let him out of the house! I just think that is completely inappropriate for a 5th grade child, let alone to wear to school...

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

Why on earth would a parent agree to let a 10 year old child wear a shirt full of innuendo???

As much as I don't like them, maybe a 10 year old would find the "I hate homework" variety funny. But "Bite me" or "remind me in the morning..." do the kids even know what these shirts imply?? So why are the parents allowing kids to wear these shirts? Do they sit down and explain what the shirt means??

I simply don't understand it.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2008

The bite me doesn't seem as bad as the Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy and remind of your name in the morning.

Personally I would talk to my P and ask if I can have the child turn the shirt inside out.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

Wow. Gulp...Did you ask her what it meant?

18. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 11, 2008

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

What do you all think it means??? I'm not kidding. :eek:

ok; Seeing it from a kid's point of view...maybe the shark on his shirt is teasing another shark to fight him????

Do you all think it's a sexual inuendo?? :help:

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

YES!!!

21. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 11, 2008

Speaking for the "Bite Me" shirt I didn't take it as sexual innuendo, I took it more of like a "F*** you/off. Even though it's in the middle of shark teeth, as another poster pointed out it was the play on words that makes it something else entirely. I didn't make a big deal of it with the student, I just think it's an entirely inappropriate shirt to wear to school. As for those who have "seen worse" I guess my question is why wait until it becomes worse?

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2008

I am now glad that we have uniforms, lol.
    I don't think the "bite me" is all the horrible...I read into it like Sagette did. I don't think it's appropriate, but like others said, I wouldn't have raised an issue with it.
    Shirts with sexual innuendos are TOTALLY inappropriate at this age.. I have a family member (in his 30's) who wears a WTF? sweatshirt and others that are very explicit...I still find it a little offensive. Maybe it's just me:eek:

23. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Nov 11, 2008

The shark one does not bother me too much with the younger age...I do have problems with my 4 and 5 yo wearing "flirt" or "Boy magnet" etc.

My step son bought a shirt that said "Things to do...1. your moma 2. your sister" I made him take it off the minute I saw it!

I don't allow my daughters to wear anything that I think "could" be taken as an inuendo or offensive. We always read the funny shirts at the store but that is as far as we go. I don't buy them and my kids won't wear them!

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 11, 2008

I also have trouble with words on little girls tushes.

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 11, 2008

NO butt writing....that's the rule in my mom's house :D

Sagette, what I meant in saying that I'd seen worse was that I didn't think a huge deal needed to be made of that particular shirt. A short chat about why something like that isn't appropriate for school is in order, but not getting all upset about it. Am I making more sense now?

26. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

I agree!

All these issues with inappropriate attire and 'what not to wear' issues have prompted an idea that I will forever stand by and that's the implementation of school uniforms. :cool:

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 11, 2008

I agree with Jaime. Those other shirts are extremely inappropriate. My kids would have shirts with sayings, but certainly not those. Not even I as an adult would ever wear a shirt with any type of innuendo.

I had a kid wear a cute shirt to our Read-A-Thon last week, but it was nothing in the ballpark of those shirts.

Bite Me- I'd keep that one at home. The implied meaning behind this one isn't as bad, honestly.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 11, 2008

We have uniforms, by the way, and it helps a lot.

29. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2008

I try to not pick that battle but... I had 3rd grade boy wear a sweatshirt that had a stripe with a pattern running down each sleeve. I looked closer and saw that they were the naked women silhouettes you see on trucks.

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2008

Me too! ugh.

And I'd like to say that I am soooooo glad that we wear uniforms at our private school and at my son's public school. whew!

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2008

This I can't stand. I think that parents should be very selective with what they allow their children to wear to school. School uniforms are worn in our school with dress down days every other Friday.

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 11, 2008

OK, I have to admit...my 7 year old has a shirt that sounds exactly like that. But I'm not really ashamed about it-she got it as a gift from my sister who was working in Hawaii. Yeah, I know it probably doesn't sound the greatest, but my dd thinks it is fun because of the shark, and admittedly, she hears "bite me" in a lot of different places. I just don't think it is the worst phrase out there-it could be a lot worse. I don't think she has ever wore it to school, maybe under a hoodie or something.

We were just talking about phrases on shirts today at lunch. One of my girls wore a shirt that said "Flirtologist", and her sister in fourth grade wears it also. The sister is a bigger girl, and my girl is teeny tiny, so the issue is more the tummy hanging out with the younger one. They also have one that says "Feeling single" which I think is totally wrong. I personally don't like the smart a$$ Happy Bunny shirts.

33. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Nov 12, 2008

I have trouble with words on ANY girl's tush! Do you REALLY need attention that badly? If so, you need a whole lot more help than those shorts!! Hello, self-esteem counseling!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 12, 2008

Guess What?!? It is the weirdest thing. After seening this thread the other day and not posting anything. I noticed a little 1st grader today who had that exact shirt you described on. In the way he had it I did not feel it was bad. I bet a 1st grader does not even know what the phrase "bit me" means other than a animal bit me type thing.

35. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 12, 2008

Well wait until you have a college-age son wear a t-shirt that has a picture of a robot and says "Bite My Shiny Metal A**". He's over 21, but I expressed my displeasure. Did he care? No.:down:

36. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

Is it bad that I find this hilarious? :lol:

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2008

Me too. But mostly the part about her son not caring, not the shirt saying.

38. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 13, 2008

My son just wears that t-shirt to annoy me. He knows it does, so that's why he wears it. Isn't that a college student's job-to annoy their parents? Also has a "Will work for Beer" one-ugh. He likes to go to Steve and Barry's--they have some doozies.

39. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 13, 2008

I think the term "bite me" has evolved into less of a sexual innuendo than it used to be... I would have no problem with the shirt.

40. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 13, 2008

A 5th grader today had a Bite Me shirt with a strawberry with a missing chunk. Kids know the phrase bite me and say it to eachother. Unfortunately my admin. would probably do nothing so my hands are tied. The board is looking into uniforms & I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am often frustrated with students coming to my class (once a week) with dress code issues. If I address them I am the bad guy b-c their teacher lets them wear it. Issues include spaghetti straps, off the shoulder shirts, saggy pants, coats in the building, etc.. UGH! :mad:

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 13, 2008

I really don't think it's bad. I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought, honestly. I would have thought it was stupid, but not innappropriate.