Is this something I should be concerned about?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by a teacher, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2016

It doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you question it. Take my 2 cents for what it is worth... and everyone else's. Go off and be nice and try to be popular. ;)

2. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Oct 27, 2016

Are you being sarcastic?

3. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Oct 27, 2016

O.K., so here's what happened:

Before class got going, I called the first writer out in the hall (fortunately all the writers of the story were in class). I asked him who the other writers were. He was not sure- duh! I knew who they were and called them out as well. I had the paper in my hand. I asked them if they knew why I had called them out. They seemed to know. I told them I was very concerned and disturbed about what had been written. I proceeded to ask each of them, regarding their passages (that I would point to), what they had meant when they wrote it. The first kid (who had finished his part-the beginning passage-with my name as the person who was run over) said he wasn't sure. I believed him. I think it was a knee-jerk unthinking response in the writing. The kid who wrote the next section about the person who ran over me not caring it was me and continuing to flee said they were just trying to say that the character was on the run and didn't want to stop. The third kid said she was continuing the story and that's why she used my name again when it was her turn to write. The first kid seemed genuinely upset. The second kid (a girl) was upset and wanted to clarify that the intent was not malicious. The third kid was embarrassed.
    I told all three that I didn't mind a joke in poor taste. That while an inappropriate story, I could understand a mistake. What I can't tolerate, I told them, was writing something malicious. Since two of the three stated outright that their intention was not to be mean, I felt better.
    I also told them that this was no way to write about somebody who educates them, and that they wouldn't appreciate somebody writing something like that about them or someone they cared about. I also mentioned how in this day and age talk of violence is treated seriously.
    Anyway, I felt satisfied that they didn't write out of hatred or indifference towards me. At the same time they learned a lesson. One offered an apology and I asked the other two for one as well.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 28, 2016

Proved my point. You even questioned my sarcasm. :)

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 28, 2016

Just getting to this thread. You handled this matter perfectly by pulling the students out and talking with them quietly and away from their peers. It sounds like you are satisfied with the outcome. My bet is that they will see you in a different way, and that is NOT one that indicates weakness.

a teacher likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.